Steel Panther's Satchel patch removed due to petition against name

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ImNotAhab, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm dumbfounded that nobody at the company would see this coming a mile away. If it wasn't a musician saying something, it would have been one Concerned Parent seeing one at the Guitar Center downtown taking their brat to get strings.

Look, I understand that this band is very much tongue-in-cheek and whatnot, but you can't really stick a broadsheet explaining their shtick next to every picture of the pedal. Regardless, a Venn diagram of people who get offended by little things and people who don't understand satire- it's a circle.

Hollowway likes this.
  2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Engage to engorge.

Smoked Porter, TedEH, Veldar and 2 others like this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Only for "Rock-Hard Rock"

4. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I think in most instances when someone is offended by a joke, it's not from lack of "getting that it's a joke". To make a crude analogy, a white comedian painting himself in blackface and poking fun at black people is also clearly a joke. Understanding that it's a joke/satire isn't really why people have a problem with blackface.

Don't know if you're familiar with the term "lampshading" in screenwriting, but it's basically when the writers of for example a sitcom make characters so cartoonishly OTT sexist/racist or whatever (think 2 1/2 Men, Big Bang Theory, Barney from How I Met Your Mother etc.) that the audience can easily laugh at how sexist/racist they are. But it's really just a tool the writers use to keep telling sexist/racist jokes all day instead of writing something more clever. Steel Panther is basically that, in music form.

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I didn't know it was called lampshading but I have seen it in several sitcoms. I do understand and agree that it is lazy writing and somewhat not funny.

I will say the racist/blackface analogy is quite crude but I'll also agree that Steel Panther do seem to get too much into character when playing live, from what I've seen.

I don't know, comedy and satire seem to be always on a tight rope with comedians pushing boundaries and depending on social climate it will have a backlash or it will be accepted or both. What's being considered funny always changes and the humor from a few decades back would be considered quite offensive these days and rightly so. Modern stand up comedians will say some really extreme stuff but when they get into trouble they'll either apologize or say they were just joking.

I do wonder however, regardless if the jokes are lazy and it is regarded as a chance to tell sexist jokes, if they actually have no impact rather than the shock factor is it worth protesting against it? I mean the audience of Steel Panther won't exactly go and harass women and treat them in the way they're portrayed by the band. Or replicate the jokes in real life or expect women to act like they do in their video clips and lyrics. I don't know it might be a guilty pleasure for some people, me included, and it might reinforce some stereotypes or subconsciously play out a fantasy that no one in their right mind make a reality in real life.

I'm not exactly trying to defend, even if it might seem so, as yes a lot of the stuff is over the top. But I don't consider them harmful either. I know the description of the specific pedal and it's name would be too much for people not knowing the back story of the band and it might not have been a smart idea from TC. I think I would have less problem if the specific individual went after the product as a joke in really poor taste rather than a serious 100% genuine sexist one.

JohnIce likes this.
  6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

WAAAAAAH girly feels

FILTHnFEAR and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  7. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

In my experience, it can definitely trickle down. I mean, I've experienced first hand how my female friends got treated at a Steel Panther show, by the audience AND the crew, but that's anecdotal. I think the impact of jokes that are sexist is the conviction that sexism is harmless as long as it's just a joke. But the problem is a) Most bullying and humiliation is based on making "fun" of someone, and b) You can't control how many others will also make fun of a person for the same reasons you did. When something about your identity or appearance is considered "funny", chances are you'll be hearing the same jokes from different people every day for your entire life, and you'd eventually get as sick of it as the girl who started this petition was.

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Emily Reo wrote, “ew what the fuck, i thought making pedals that break all the time was bad enough.”

Daaamn.

9. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

At the risk of sounding overly centrist on this issue, is it possible to think the woman pursuing this is being overly prudish, while also being fed up with Steel Panther's schtick and finding TC's willingness to use that branding a totally stupid move?

If so, notch one in that column for me. Fuck everyone on all sides of this.

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

1. TC went over the top to the point of being more tacky than funny satire. They could have taken a more subtle approach to Steel Panther's schtick.

2. Americans are still treating social issues like an allergic overreaction.

just LMAO at this entire thing

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I hate the steel panther stchik . its way over done and dated as fuck .it's all a bit pathetic to me

but

do we really need a world where every single person has to get along. cant someone just be considered a fuck wit. I consider them fuck wits so I don't support them . you don't like it, fine say so,blast them of FB if it makes you feel better .but the fact it exists isn't discrimination . its just a terrible joke,and a terrible decision form TC

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  12. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

That's not satire. It's a parody, but it's a deliberately sexist parody. You can parody ridiculous things without actually embodying it.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

"Cock-rock," you mean?

14. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

This is sorta how I feel about Steel Panther. It doesn't feel like a satire where the express purpose is to make fun of what they're parodying. It feels like a caricature. I see their persona more as lighthearted jab at hair metal and its excess than a scathing criticism.

FILTHnFEAR, Strobe and feraledge like this.
  15. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

This is a prime example of something I’m trying to teach my teenager: You can be 100% correct, and still be 100% wrong.

Holloway is 100% correct:
    But because if the reality of crap like this:
    He’s also 100% wrong.

It’s just like the use of the words/phrases “colored”, “nigger”, “don’t be a pussy”, “man-up” etc. from a purely rational sense, they shouldn’t be offensive, but because of how the phrases have been used for decades to centuries, they do carry an offensive/aggressive overtone.

Carlin took the same view regarding his jokes from the 70’s. At its core, the material is just as funny, but performing it would be truly insensitive.

It also doesn’t help that the arrogantly ignorant misogynistic bigots are emboldened by Trump and more likely than they have been for decades to throw it in everybody else’s face.

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, certainly some of this is based on how it’s done. Satire, as we’re talking about, is hard to get right. It’s like scar and. Do sarcasm wrong, and you just sound like an asshole. So, blackface in and of itself isn’t offensive. Robert Downey Jr’s character in Tropic Thunder was a risky move, but struck the right balance to not be offensive. Same with C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man.

And I agree with you that bullying is making fun of someone. But, it’s also true that most humor is specifically making fun of some other group or person. Someone is always going to be offended. Sometimes it’s ok, if it’s done well, but generally the rule is a majority cannot make fun of a minority. But minority making fun of majority is ok, and minority-minority and majority-majority is ok. It just has to be a calculated risk.

If I were in TC’s shoes, I don’t know that I’d find it that’s obvious that the name of the pedal was going to create such backlash. In and industry with bands named Anal Cunt and Dying Fetus, lyrics about killing cops, amps named Brown Eye, Dirty Shirley, Pink Taco, or Fucking Fucker, and pedals named Big Muff Pi, Swollen Pickle and Super Hard On, and guitar companies named Vagina, do we really want to Monday morning quarterback this and say, “Whoa, TC, how did you not see that was crossing the line?”

I think that there IS no clairvoyance to things like this. At best, we can try our best to make an impact, and, if we have offended others, do what we can to rectify it. I don’t fault TC at all. I think it’s good they dealt with it well after the blowback, but I can’t fault them for having not seen it beforehand.

tedtan, JSanta, Edika and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

On another note, leave it to a group of nerdy-ass ERG musicians in a tiny corner of the internet to take a topic like this and turn in into a full blown discourse on social psychology, branding, and PR. :lol: That’s why I love this place.

“Hey Hollowway, what do you talk about on that Sevenstring forum all the time? Seven string guitars?”
    Me: “On occasion we’ll talk about seven string guitars, yes.”

18. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I'm on another forum where the "funny pictures" thread was re-named something like "The funny math thread...which sometimes has mildly amusing images" because of the conversations that would take up multiple pages after someone would post am image showing incorrect geometry/algebra or some physics problem.

TedEH, Edika and Hollowway like this.
  19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

On a slow news day.

StevenC, JSanta, r33per and 2 others like this.
  20. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

I feel like I’m reading a 34 year-old thread about the release of Spinal Tap’s “Smell the Glove” album. Our ss.org bottom-feeders may as well be debating the phallic implications and impositions of the guitar itself.

Edika likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.