Stay Away from Monster Cables!

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a gold tipped studio link monster cable about 7 years ago. They claimed to be warrantied for life. The cable broke and I sent it in for a replacement only to be given the wrong cable twice. The first cable they sent me was an RCA cable. I informed them and they said they would send out the proper guitar cable. I received a chrome tipped bottom of the line cable from them. I informed them that I had purchased their highest quality cable and should be compensated with one (as their warranty describes). They told me that it was a guitar cable and to suck it up. Terrible customer service and terrible product. It took them a week to get back to me on every response. The whole ordeal took over 3 months to conduct. They have really become a poor company, and I would recommend that all of you invest your money elsewhere. Their lame website seems more concerned with trendy celebrities like Iggy Azalea and her stupid nose job. I am curious if anyone else has had such a terrible experience with Monster?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since when do you have to send them in?

Up until at least a couple years ago you could just go to Guitar Center, or really any authorized retailer, and they'd swap it out right there. They usually didn't even try them out.

To be fair, they're warrantied over manufacturing defects, not use.

But, it's been fairly well known how shitty actually dealing with Monster can be. Shitty company through and through. I highly recommend you make your own cables. It's cheap, easy, and you wind up with a better, more purpose built cable.

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Up until at least a couple years ago you could just go to Guitar Center, or really any authorized retailer, and they'd swap it out right there. They usually didn't even try them out.

But, it's been fairly well known how shitty actually dealing with Monster can be. Shitty company through and through. I highly recommend you make your own cables. It's cheap, easy, and you wind up with a better, more purpose built cable.

Yeah, I actually got into making my own cables a few years back. I had bought this cable such a long time ago. I guess it's their policy to send them in now. They told me there is no other way. Again, just awful service and product. Yes, Marshawn Lynch is a modern day audio savant. I think being in the NFL and having your brain smashed in everyday is pretty helpful!

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

GC hasn't replaced Monster cables for like 5 years at least. I think I brought a Rock 500 cable in around 2012-2013, and they told me that they could give me another monster cable, but they didn't carry anything over the standard 100 line, so that's what I got. Around that time I started making my own from Best-tronics.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It has the word "monster" in it's name, what more warning did you want?

UNILAD-sully25.jpg

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
GC hasn't replaced Monster cables for like 5 years at least. I think I brought a Rock 500 cable in around 2012-2013, and they told me that they could give me another monster cable, but they didn't carry anything over the standard 100 line, so that's what I got. Around that time I started making my own from Best-tronics.

Best-tronics is the way to go. Good prices and customer service!

BigViolin

JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!
Reaction score
They are a shit company that should be boycotted by everyone. Their history of trying to sue everyone and everything with the word monster in it is well documented. They tried legal action against the Chicago Bears for using the term "monsters of the midway". Also Disney for the movie "Monsters, Inc."

Terrible, stupid, socially clueless company.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve never used them because every decent review of their stuff has shown they’re a horrible value. You’d think at least they could get the customer service part right, though.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I used a 20' Monster Prolink Rock cable for live shows until the plug broke inside the output jack. I contacted Monster and was able to get a replacement cable sent. When the package arrived, they had sent me a 10' Prolink Acoustic cable, a stiff and over hyped cable that they sell for $80.

I stopped dealing with them after that and made this video with a few Monster cables I had against a $10 brandless cable.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to use the cheaper ones because GC would replace them on-site, no questions asked when they'd crap out. The last time I had a monster cable and took it in I was informed that Monster doesn't allow retailers to do exchanges, but it should still be warrantied and I'd have to send it in. I messaged them via the website...two weeks later I got a response with an address saying I need to ship it to Texas on my dime, and I'd be paying return postage (of which they were charging a flat rate of $15, which is is insane for a guitar cable, considering it would cost me about $5 to send it to them). Sent it out, got it back a few days later with a "return to sender" stamp. Messaged them to confirm the address and was told that because I didn't send it USPS first class, they couldn't accept it (so there goes another $8)...long story short 6 weeks later I finally got my replacement $25 cable that was 5' shorter than the one I sent in and it only ended up costing my ~$50. Fuck them. The GC in-house brand has been lasting longer than the Monsters, no-question replacements if they die, and none of the BS.

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to use the cheaper ones because GC would replace them on-site, no questions asked when they'd crap out. The last time I had a monster cable and took it in I was informed that Monster doesn't allow retailers to do exchanges, but it should still be warrantied and I'd have to send it in. I messaged them via the website...two weeks later I got a response with an address saying I need to ship it to Texas on my dime, and I'd be paying return postage (of which they were charging a flat rate of $15, which is is insane for a guitar cable, considering it would cost me about $5 to send it to them). Sent it out, got it back a few days later with a "return to sender" stamp. Messaged them to confirm the address and was told that because I didn't send it USPS first class, they couldn't accept it (so there goes another $8)...long story short 6 weeks later I finally got my replacement $25 cable that was 5' shorter than the one I sent in and it only ended up costing my ~$50. Fuck them. The GC in-house brand has been lasting longer than the Monsters, no-question replacements if they die, and none of the BS.

Wow, that's just messed up on their end. What an awful company!

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly the ONLY reason I was buying their cables in the first place was because of the lifetime exchange warranty and after spending anywhere from $25-$100 for a single cable for live use and having them all last about the same 2-3 years, I figured get the cheaper Monsters, replace them as needed because I can just roll over to GC and exchange them. There was never an audible different (especially live) between a $25 20' cable and a $100 20' cable. The GC brand has about the same lifespan and is still lifetime warrantied.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, I remember these being around quite a while ago and never bought into the hype. The junky service reported here instantly made me think its probably owned/encheapened by some conglomerated buy-out but that isn't so. However, they do seem to spend a lot of time suing anything with the name "monster" in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable#Trademark_disputes

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
(speaking of warranty) Not that I've ever done this myself, but years ago I talked to a couple other musicians who used Planet Waves cables. They would use them for a tour, rip/cut the end off, and go to their local store and get a free replacement.
Years later I tried to return a faulty planet waves cable to my local music store and was told they needed the original receipt (confirmed by the small print online) and so I was out of luck.

As far as Monster Cables ... I only ever remember reading/hearing that they were crazy overpriced, and not any better than a friggin coat hanger -- https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger-363154

Sorry for your luck OP :(