Static X guitar tone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Feb 3, 2019.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Okay, completely random but it's often said that Static X used Marshall MGs to get their sound. I keep seeing VHT/Fryette stuff associated with them but Wayne claimed he used MGs.

Anyone got any actual proof that they used that shit? I looked for rig rundowns and stuff but I never found anything. I'd also like to know if ANYONE has gotten the Static X sound with a Marshall MG. You'd think MG having people would have jumped on how to do this.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Wayne had the MGs with a Boss NS-2 in front, and Koichi had the VHT rack setup.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

First 2 (maybe 3) albums were Valvestate. 8100. The later albums had a MG. If he used an MG on Shadow Zone and Start A War, then there's some heavy fucking studio magic going on, because Cannibal, Cult of Static, and Pighammer all sound like shit in comparison.

And yeah Koichi used VHT and Hughes and Kettner.
    I got a hunch Wayne did all the guitars in studio though.

4. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I really want to know what was used on Wisconsin Death Trip....because it's REALLY hard to believe that's a damn MG..or even the live tones from that era (which I feel are severely helped by the VHT but of course I could be wrong). You'd think someone on youtube would have done a "Static X tone" thing with an MG by now..if for no other reason than to prove it's possible

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I remember reading an interview many years ago where they talked about using a JCM900 on early recordings, but it wouldn't quite stay tight enough, which is why they switched to the 8100 or VS100. It was several years later when they talked about switching to the MG, because they were cheap and could be picked up in any city if one blew up.

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, there's no way WCD was done with an MG. For one, MG's can't sound that brutal.

Two, they weren't out yet. :lol: MGs were released in 2002. WCD came out in 1999.

A Valvestate (VS100 or 8100) can easily do WCD. The 8100 I had was heavy as shit. I miss that amp.

7. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Wisconsin Death Trip is a blend of VHT and Marshall Valvestate as for pickups Wayne used a Duncan Distortion in the bridge whereas Koichi used a JB one noteable thing about them though is they both use light strings can't remember Koichi's gauge but Wayne used a 10-52 set for C standard tuning.

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  8. Kaura

Kaura matching headstocks <3

To be honest I always thought that Static-X had terrible guitar tones on all their albums so I think it's quite fitting to assume they used MGs.

GunpointMetal and KailM like this.
  9. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Okay...it makes sense now. Thanks. I legit wondered about that...cause ain't no way in hell an MG sounded THAT good.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I saw them in 2001, and I remember the tone well. Their tone was so tight and cutting, like a machine gun. They were right after Mudvayne, which had Rectos, and sounded like a sludge mud fest in comparison.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Nah, the first 3 albums were killer sounding. Some really brutal sounding industrial metal tones.

Like I said, I THINK Shadow Zone was done with an MG. Star a War definitely was done with an MG. But I think there was a shit-ton of studio wizardry going on, because Cannibal and Cult of Static sound exactly like an MG to me. :lol:

But yeah, I really wanna say WCD was VS100. Because Shask seems spot on about Wayne using a JCM900 before Wisconsion Death Trip. He had a full-sized Marshall head on stage up until 1997. You watch some videos in 1998, you see him start using a smaller head with the controls on top. The VS100 was still new at the time.

I thought Greg from MV used VHT as well?

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

This is when they still wore costumes and toured for LD50. He didn't switch to VHT until the next album.

13. Kaura

Well, WDT had a certain charm but I still wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded with a MG.

Edit: Well, shit now that I'm listening to these albums I gotta take my words back. The guitar tones on WDT are nowhere as gritty as I remembered them to be whereas Start A War sounds a lot more horrible than I remembered so that one was probably done with MG.

14. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Yeah I always thought LD50 was VHT and they used that. I dunno..truth be told I never really looked into it but I thought that's what I heard.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nah, he had the Limp Bizkit rig, lol. Dual Recto for heavy, and an AB switch to a JC120 for cleans. He switched to VHT on the second album, when they dressed up like grey bugs.

16. Kaura

Okay, now I'm confused. Since you guys brought up Mudvayne I watched a couple of old live videos from Youtube and all I can see on stage is a miced up Roland combo (JC-120?).

14:13 ---> (if the timed url fails)

Edit: Ninja'd, sort of. :lol:

Shask likes this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Ah, I didn't know he used Rectos at all. :lol: I coulda swore all the early shit was VHT until he switched to Randall in the mid 2000s.

Shadow Zone would be the last album they recorded with the Valvestate. But on tour, he was fully using the MG series. I'd actually say Shadow Zone was their best album sound-wise.

Also I was checking some studio clips of them recording WDT. It's a VS100, JCM900, and Koichi's VHT Pitbull. I always thought it was an 8100, but given the circumstances and seeing the control panel, it's 100% a VS100.

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Buy the 8100!

19. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Lol I don't want Wayne's tone..nor do I wanna go amp shopping. I just always wondered how the fuck he managed to get that tone from an MG and no pedals

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well that's your answer

He didn't :lol:

He used a very highly regarded hybrid amp.

DrakkarTyrannis and budda like this.