States petition to secede from union

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by iRaiseTheDead, Nov 13, 2012.

1. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Grand Moff Tim likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The Texas government was never behind seceding, nor were over 99 of the people that live here. The whole petition is just a few loudmouths spouting off.

4. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

The companies that make this state economically sound (corporate welfare state) would leave to go back to the US if it did happen, same with all the other states too. Nobody with half a brain thinks it's a good idea no matter ones political beliefs.

I mean we are probably not going to vote on Puerto Rico simply because it isn't obvious if a large majority want it. They have only managed to get apparently 60K signatures. That is smaller than my hometown. :lol:

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, I don't think people outside of Texas realize how much big business is actually here in Texas. For better or worse, it's probably second only to New York. And it's not too far behind New York, either.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Oh yeah Texas has tons of business because of our low tax rates. That being said we are a crowning example of why low taxes doesn't work because our tax dollars don't seem to do much from where I sit.

As much as I enjoy low taxes there really needs to be a state income tax. Education, construction, city workers are all inefficient and we have done nothing to fix that, ever.

Tons of business though, a lot in energy.

7. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

I'm a little sore due to Perry's policies. He freakin cut out taxes and KNEW there would be a big budget shortfall that would come due several years later. Yet, it happened and he refused to dip into the rainy day fund and instead decided to cut even more funding from education. I work at a college and let me tell you it sure was a lot of fun when that happened.

I do enjoy everybody telling me that I'm lazy and inefficient at what I do though :rolleyes:

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That is my point, can't have tax cuts without dismantling something. Lowering taxes, especially at the current rate, is a horrendous idea.

I was speaking very generally. :lol: I guess working at a college would mean you qualify in my statement, but I was more referring to DPS, court officials, etc.. Most of the people I've met at colleges are hardworking individuals. Sorry if I offended you.

9. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

No worries, I'm not taking it to heart. And I'm glad we can agree that Perry is a terrible governor. Good hair, bad policies.

10. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

A lot of policies here are terrible, but you find that everywhere you go. For every good thing you'll find a negative to balance it out.

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

EDIT: Wrong thread.

13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

The Confederacy just couldn't get enough signatures. True Story.

[​IMG]

14. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

I'm not even American but I know that the president doesn't actually represent what is going on in the background, especially with money. Obama probably doesn't even come in contact with half the big corporations that really run the country. Also, the recession was/is mainly a reality because the Federal Reserve Bank continues to print money and loaning it to big corporations interest-free and that screws with the whole system, especially when they unload their debt onto tax payers.

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Oh I know. Where you live though the negative has a lot more impact on the mind.

What you're describing is inflation, that is not what caused the recession. Poor regulation caused the recession. Not going to elaborate much more as it is off topic. :lol:

16. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

my teacher was talking about how they need so many signatures for congress to even look at it and Florida had enough or close to it. He said Florida wouldn't be protected by foreign attacks if it wasn't part of the country (I know it would cause America like to be in every thing.) I looked at a friend and Florida just pulled a YOLO.

17. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

What exactly are you referring to, when you say America? More specifically, what part of it do they hate?

18. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

And how does increasing tax revenue make those institutions more efficient?

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Increases budget constraints which we have many. Things get pushed off, corners get cut because we follow a very strict budget. That wouldn't be a problem, but the ceiling is rather low at the starting line. I've worked with people in city positions who shift things around or move things forward when they shouldn't be just to make sure they don't end up spending the budget too quickly. It creates inefficiencies, trust me. I take it you believe that low taxes are generally more appropriate based on the question?

Also, Texas has a good economy and shitty roads. There is no logic to justify that. When I visited California their highway system was amazing and our economy is supposedly better. That's taxes at work...

20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yes, the roads here are much worse than I experience when traveling out of state.