Nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty crazy, I don't think it would ever work though

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
EDIT:^ That's Nevada, isn't it?

Many of the petitions invoke the Declaration of Independence's dramatic assertion that "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and institute new Government."

Haven't rights increased (and are expected to increase) under Obama? Particularly LGBT rights? (I know there's a long way to go, especially for T, but this presidency has been the best in history for that particular collective.) I get that he hasn't undone any of the Bush era patriot act bullshit, and has continued in that vein, but since 20 states didn't petition for secession then, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's more to this than they're directly saying.

the treasurer of the Hardin County Republican Party, Peter Morrison, asked in a post-election newsletter, "Why should Vermont and Texas live under the same government?" Morrison's newsletter requested an "amicable divorce" from the "maggots" who reelected President Obama, many of them voting on an "ethnic basis."
This guy seems to hint at a potential ulterior motive.

I'm not saying that he is representative of all Romney supporters, or even the people who signed those petitions, but I think that the racial element is not to be ignored.

McKay

ʎɐʞɔW
Reaction score
Seems we're in a time of secession. Scotland, Venice, Catalonia..

Honestly, I say let them if the people vote for it. Same goes for the above. It's not like there are any moral issues at stake, there isn't slavery to fight against this time (although slavery was only a partial cause of the civil war but that's another discussion).

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score

Slipknot fans voted overwhelmingly in support of Obama? Or is he just mincing his slurs and substituted a bilabial nasal phoneme where he'd usually put an unvoiced labio-dental fricative phoneme?

/m/ vs. /f/, for those unversed in the dark arts of English phonology.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
"You guys want to re-elect Obama? Fine! We'll make our own country! With blackjack! And Hookers!

In fact, forget the country!"

Exactly. This actually happened in 2008 as well. They never really go anywhere, although Texas is damn close to getting enough votes to be acknowledged.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Exactly. This actually happened in 2008 as well. They never really go anywhere, although Texas is damn close to getting enough votes to be acknowledged.

Given demographic shifts, Texas might well be a blue state by 2016, so that's going nowhere fast.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Apparently this happens after every election. I'd think it would be cool to Texas become Mexico's bitch tho'.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I'd like to see this mentioned somewhere just once without a wildly misleading title. The states themselves aren't petitioning for diddlyshit, it's just butthurt netizens and slacktivists who think whitehouse.org petitions are worth a fuck and a half, trying to make a statement.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
^exactly. These people don't fucking realize how stupid an actual secession would be. NO healthcare system to even find something to bitch about, NO educational support to speak of, NO military to protect our sorry ass when these same people start spewing ignorant shit to the wrong brown leader. I had to explain to my random facebook aquaintance buddy that "FREE THE SOUTH!" probably isn't the best rallying cry to start a new country, under the circumstances :noplease:. Plus, Louisiana would be granted secession, then immediately invaded and stripped of our sweet sweet crawfish and gatormeat, then bombed back to......well, 1940s Louisiana.

brynotherhino

Reformed Redneck
Reaction score
If Texas secedes, I'm leaving. The people that want this are nuts. I love my state, but good grief that would be a nightmare.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:rofl:

Butthurt people taking shit too seriously are butthurt and taking shit too seriously. Some of them may be racists, but that's another story for another day... :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
As moronic as these loons are, tell me if the following sounds familiar:

"You idiots re-elected BUSH!? WTF, America? I'm moving to Canada."

:lol:

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
I don't even know why this making news. The petition in texas is at about 75k currently, im guessing it will only reach between 100-150k. Sounds like alot until you figure out texas has a population of about 25 million. Such an insignificant amount that its funny.