State of the art of amp sims in 2021?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ogon, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Amp sims are at a point now where you can’t blame the amp sim anymore. There’s so many great choices and it doesn’t take long to get a good responsive tone.

After getting STL Tonehub I’m done. In seconds I’ve tones better than anything I got with my axe-fx or kemper.

There is a lot of over saturation now though. I didn’t hear anything about the new JST Jeff Loomis Toneforge on here and I’m not seeing many people talk about the new Neural getting released this week.

Spinedriver and budda like this.
  2. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

This is the good shit. Thank you

budda and sakeido like this.
  3. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

I like the STL stuff a lot. Agreed with the other post that amp sims are good enough you can't really blame them for a crappy mix nowadays.

4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Man, you've got two messages. Did you come here from the Scuffham forum to continue your crusade? :rofl:

Sorry but that's bullshit. You're conveniently ommiting how long 2.9 took, aren't you? Prior version was 2.71 at 2017. All the updates you mention are mainly bug fixes. If you want to go all literal about this be my guest, but my point was that besides a few IRs based on a Vox AC30 no real content was added since their 57' amplifier, which was added in freaking 2014. 2.9 was a fucking joke. After a two year wait, the updates were:
    • Support for HiDPI Displays
    • Scalable GUI
    • Improved Preset management system
    • Redwirez 'Remastered' Cabinet options

So yeah, if you want to support an ampsim with no new content since 2014, feel free to do so :yesway:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I have a decent collection myself and for high gain I use like the Brainworx Diezel stuff and their Savage sim. Their IRs are ass so I just use NadIR for all of it. Their Rockerverb sim is insane too but the Recto sucks ass. I've had a lot more success getting boosted Mesa sounds from the Orange. ML Sound Lab has impressed me a lot too, if their stuff was Windows AAX compatible I'd be using the ML5 a lot since it sounds the closest to a Mark V than anything else out there. Roots is good too, but the 5150 and EVH are by far the 2 best. The other 2 aren't as good but still nice to have. No cleans though, but the Friedman sim crunches the best out of a lot of sims there.

There's also the Mercuriall Euphoria which sounds amazing and has a lot of effects and processing built in. The IRs suck but what else is new. If I need a Marshall sound I'd easily pay for it. You do have to know what a Bogner Ecstasy does though, since the switching is really complicated but it does whatever sound you could ever want, minus really scooped. Without mids it sounds like ass.

Neural never did it for me especially the Fortin stuff. I played the Cali for all of 10 minutes since it's supposed to be so versatile and I couldn't get it to saturate at all. No low end and the gain sounded like shit. STL stuff was ok but I wasn't too much of a fan. Nalex was great but it was obvious they were all made by the same guy, they sound like the amps, with his touch which I couldn't place exactly but there was something about it. His Herbert is the next best thing to the Brainworx, since his doesn't have the mid control or the 3 channels and it doesn't sound quite as good. His Uberschall was great though, just not AAX. By far the best sim of the amp out there. I'd love to find a good AAX Uber since I love the sound of the amp but I'm striking out. The Solidus Randy sounds great too but it needs tweaking to get there. A ton of usable tones in that one.

Bias sounds like shit and so does Amplitube. Never tried JST.

Does anyone do a Revv or Fryette sim? Those are 2 sounds I'd love to have based on a lot of demos I've found online.

6. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

Audio Assault has an amp sim that seems to be based off the Revv G20. I got it for like 6 bucks and enjoy it quite a bit.

7. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

I have really enjoyed Neural DSP's Archetypes, especially Plini and Abasi. Also got the Fortin NTS so I feel like I covered everything from super clean tones to high gain chugging. For some reason, Nolly didn't do a whole lot for me, contrary to most opinions on it. Might have to give it another chance.

8. TheBolivianSniper

I just took a look at all their stuff. Is the full suite worth it?

9. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

No clue my dude, sorry. I was originally looking for a free/cheap bass amp sim and ran into the revv one. Ive been wanting a revv for the longest time so that was that.

TheBolivianSniper likes this.
  10. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I really want a Fayette Pittsburgh UL sim and Peavey XXX and JSX sims. It blows my mind that no one has done it yet

11. TheBolivianSniper

I'm gonna give it a shot tonight, probably run through all the demos instead of doing jazz or my personal projects lol

12. TheBolivianSniper

Pittbull would be best but I'd love to see a Sig X, crazy underrated amp

13. Emperoff

I want a 5150 sim. I heard no one makes one of these.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

This.

Mathemagician and Emperoff like this.
  15. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic "That" guy.

You know, if you'd bothered to read through my short post history, you'd see exactly where I came from. I even use the same username over there.

As for the lack of new content, I explicitly brought it up in my above post. The only thing I was trying to do was correct the notion that S-Gear had been abandoned since 2012.

Yes, development is slow and communication is sparse. Again, I said that already. But "nothing new" doesn't mean that what's there is bad, just like "abandoned since 2012" is not at all representative of S-Gear as a whole.

It's fine to have a beef with a product or a company. But don't make up stuff about it. I enjoy the product for what it is, and even though I wish it had some more options for metal and bass, I can get my vintage on all day long, and it's a pleasant experience.

brandon7s likes this.
  16. Emperoff

You know, I didn't need to read your short post story (or research your username as you suggest) to know exactly where you came from. Just one post was enough. ;)

17. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic "That" guy.

Cute.

Hint: I've never had a membership on the Scuffham forum, and likely never will. I think it's obvious who was on the real crusade here.

Enjoy your Neural plugins. I know I do.

18. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

TSE X50 if you want 5150

19. Emperoff

TGP then. Funny thing is that your stellar appearance only served to confirm everything I said in that post.

And yes, I do enjoy my Neural DSP plugins. S-Gear has been gathering digital dust for a couple of years now.

Cheers

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  20. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I was thinking the same thing. Oddly enough, the Mooer Preamp Live pedal actually does have sims for a VHT Pitbull and Peavey JSX. Other than that though, I don't know of any vsts specifically that have the JSX but the new Amplitube does seem have a VHT/Fryette amp of some kind.