Starting to build my home studio, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Krazy Kalle, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Krazy Kalle

Krazy Kalle SS.org Regular

So I finally want to record in my living room.

All I have so far, besides the instruments, is a Line 6 Helix LT.

My first question would be: Do I need an additional USB Interface?
    I'm thinking about ordering a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen,
    but I do I really need it?

I'm planning on recording Guitar (only electric so far), Bass and maybe my E-Drum Kit.
    Later, if I found a singer or learn to sing my self, I'd record vocals as well, but this is going
    to happen later.

Apart from that, is there anything else I need? Besides a recording Software oc.

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I think the Helix LT can be also used as an interface. Tey bbn it out for m.j ow and find out if it meets your needs.

You will need a good PC
    DAW (take a look at Magix because it has everything, drums, bass generator, etc)
    Studio Monitors
    Headphones
    Audio Interface (later on if the Helix is not good enough for you)

Good luck!

3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Maybe an additional interface, with 8 tracks? When recording drums it is better to record each part (bass, snare, cymbals,..) seperate so you can always adjust mixes afterwards. When you have only one or two tracks..well then your drum is set..

I bought a Line6 Pod Pro X back in the day and found that for home recording of guitars, bass and vocals this is more than adeqaute. Yes, there are far better options but not at that price point imo. I imagine the Helix is similar in use and better quality than my Pod though.

Furthermore, a decent pc with recording software, headphone amp, decent studio monitors, cables (you can't have enough of those), microphone + adeqaute interface,