Starting bass on a 5 or 6 string?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by MGasparotto, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MGasparotto

MGasparotto Breaker of G strings

Purdy simple question I got. Would it be a good idea to start out playing bass on a 5 or a 6 string when you've never played/owned a 4?

Thanks~

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Begin as you wish to continue. Dive right in :) I'd rather tackle the slightly steeper learning curve of more strings, than adjust to an entirely new feel and mindset later on.

3. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

As Ethereal said, play what you plan to play. The learning curve being steeper though, I am not sure I agree on, number of strings is pretty irrelevant to how 'difficult' something is to play. 7 is not harder than 6, 5 is not harder than 4, and at the same time, more is not always better.

4. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I echo the previous sentiments. If you know you're going to use that extra range, you may as well get something that will do that extra range and save some time and money.

5. MGasparotto

MGasparotto Breaker of G strings

I suppose so, Thanks guys.

Another quick question(Boy am I full of questions >__>)

Would having a really slow computer affect the sound I'm getting from my pod? I run it straight into comp and through comp speakers.

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I don't know, the bigger neck of my 6 string bass definitely makes it a bit more physically demanding. As well as more strings to pay attention to muting etc. And tighter string spacing being a little harder for slapping (though I do think it makes fingerstyle 10x easier - can't stand it on a 4 string)

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

I agree it's good to start on a more physically demanding instrument. However, I personally like the broad spacing of a 4-string. I find it makes fingerstyle playing easier, since I can get my sausage fingers between the strings.

I guess the gist is...the bass needs to be comfortable to play, regardless of how many strings are on it. Some people can't get comfy with a 6-string, and some people need at least 6.

8. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

My 5 has 19mm string spacing too :lol: same as 4s for a reason. I will likely get at least 17mm when I get a 6 too.

9. BASSMAN

BASSMAN BASSMAN

1 ....Start out on a 4,and the rest will come . 2...now by playing the 4,you might not wont to play a 5 or 6,and so on because the 4 has a lot to offer, but if you do.you can not go wrong by playing any kind of bass . thx have fun, and play your hart out ....bassman