Star Wars ruined (Episode 7, Disney)?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Xiphos68, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

If they paid 4 billion for it they probably won't be fucking it up.

2. fps

fps Kit

Nothing's ruined. Just don't watch the ones you don't like, I ignored the prequels.

Also, for God's sake no more prequels. Are we really so obsessed with the West's own endgame, so utterly unable to look to the future, that we have to keep on looking back to the days of empire building instead of facing the new world?

3. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

I would actually pay good money to see that, if it were a one-off. Jar Jar isn't a bad character for what he is, he was just placed in the wrong (I dare even say wrongenest ever) context.

4. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I've always felt this way about the prequels, the overall ideas of each movie (maybe not Ep. II :lol:) were good. The problem is in the details of each story. There should have been a guy who was paid to sit around and say, "No George, that is a horrible idea."

I guess the best way to say this, is that the prequel films are somewhat scatterbrained, if they were more focused and didn't use so much filler they'd probably be better films.

Back on topic: I don't trust Disney at all. Now before you tell me that they did great with the Avengers, I disagree (there's no real story, its just stuff blowing up). The Iron Man series is good, but only because RDJ is good. I'll reserve judgement until I see a new film, but I don't have high hopes.

Also, why do I see nobody criticizing Ep. VI? It was pretty uninspired if you ask me. Han is a stagnant character, it has Ewoks, and they reused the Death Star because they couldn't come up with a better idea. Just some food for thought

5. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

[​IMG]

6. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

How would everyone feel if Disney just came out and said that episode 1 to 3 weren't cannon and they were redoing them?

7. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

...and into watching all 6 episodes. :lol:

There will be huge demand for these films, it is Star Wars after all. I'm all for it, it was going to happen at some point soon, myself and my flatmate were talking about it not even a month ago. Moar Wars!

8. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yea it would be a shame if young kids now did not get into starwars. :(

9. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

If they get Timothy Zahn to write the screenplay, I'm down. Maybe get Hugo Weaving in full-on magnificent bastard mode as Thrawn. Not sure what they're going to do about the increasingly grizzled original main cast though. Hamill, Ford and Fisher have gotten old. I have massive respect for Hamill, but you can see why he mainly does voice work these days.

10. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

This can turn out to be a good thing.

11. m3l-mrq3z

m3l-mrq3z Banned

Fuck Disney

12. Ayo7e

Ayo7e ralugeR gro.ss

Not mine but...:lol:
    [​IMG]

13. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Overall it wasn't a bad idea for him to sell the company (it actually was a good idea).
    But it's Disney's resonisibilty to make the movies great for the fans and etc. Yes. I did enjoy the pre-quels (my childhood).
    Though I did see the flaws as I got older. But I still enjoy them none the less. I mean Pod-racing and all these other cool planets (pretty righteous).

Here's Lucas on the subject:

14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I've got a lot more faith in a Disney Star Wars movie than another Lucas Star Wars.

15. jam3v

jam3v wat

Ruined?

This is the best thing that's happened to Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back. Anything that takes executive creative power away from Lucas is a good move. And shit, imagine if Pixar (they are owned by Disney) was to get involved?!

If we're lucky we get to see an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy which is universally adored by both critics and hardcore Star Wars fans alike.

16. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I remember way back, when Lucas was still in early development for the prequels, I was hoping they weren't going to be prequels, but would instead be the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn (referenced a couple times in this thread already). I guess I can still hope, now.

That said, I have no idea how they would go about portraying most of the cast, given that it's mostly characters from the original trilogy, and theoretically begins only 5 years after ROTJ.. :lol:

17. jam3v

jam3v wat

A minor, minor obstacle. All it would take is some _good_ actors, writing, and direction, and we'd quickly overlook the fact they don't look exactly like the original actors.

18. MFB

MFB Banned

My guess is if they did the Thrawn trilogy, they'd do one of two things:

Use different characters than those from the original trilogy
    Make it set down the line so they could do the same thing

:lol:

The only major difference I can assume without having read the actual Thrawn trilogy is that instead of trying to immediately take over in the power struggle resulting from the death of the Emperor and Vader; the Admiral would be trying to resurrect the "glory" of the Empire and thus that's why none of the original characters would be around.

19. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

As much as I feel that Thrawn is one of the greater villains I've ever read, the books still wouldn't be as enjoyable as they are, without the chemistry of the characters we already know/love. I mean, it's a lot harder to care about the empire having a whole new chance to take over (via Thrawn), when we're not invested in the characters fighting against them..

20. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

I'm both excited and scared as shit about this.

And oh god Thrawn please.