Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ralyks, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

No... nooo! (yells with Palpatine's voice). If you forget rushed feeling of a plot it's actually quite good in a dark way, but it's not explained enough and you have to figure some of it in a methaphoric level, which is often problem with Star Wars. Personally I just saw lots of those things coming, which made it too predictable. Messy bits and all the action it has eh... kind of blinds, it feels too quick. Actually the Star Destroyers now have planet killing weapons similar to what First Order had... But no Death Stars (just ruins in the forest moon of Endor), and Palps is represented as really powerful.

I liked it more than The Last Jedi, I've seen it two or three times now and don't want to see it in years, if at all seriously.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Just, careful with anything REMOTELY close to a spoiler here, considering the movie was released last night, and if you have to talk about it, use spoiler tags on that shit. :lol:

XPT707FX and Noisy Humbucker like this.
  3. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

Wow I was wrong, this movie had some great dialog.

Choop, The906 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just got home from seeing it. I really liked it, there. I said it.
    Even if so many things screamed "Retcon!" I.e. Snooke.

mongey likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Speaking of animated SW series and worthwhile uses of Disney's money post-Skywalker Saga, what do I have to do to get a Cad Bane series?

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I really liked it too. Don’t get all the hate. And I wasn’t a big fan of the last one.

setsuna7 likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

My sister told me it was actually good and I trust her recommendations, so I went and saw it earlier today. I won't talk in specifics but overall JJ did an alright job retconning and cleaning up the dumb shit TLJ did/set up. There were some specific arcs that completely fell flat and should have been completely excised, and some newer ones that really didn't add anything at this point in the story arc. Surprisingly the zombie leia dialogue wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Still, I would have rather that they killed her off instead of giving her dialogue/scenes after Carrie died. Overall the movie crams a lot of crap into 2.5 hours, and I felt like it suffered from similar issues to TLJ in the way that they fixated so much on making striking set pieces that the story just kind of meanders. There's some blatant callbacks to specific shots from the original trilogy but they don't really add anything to the film, unless you want to claim it's a meta reference to events being cyclical like other Epics (Mahabarata, Edda, Nibelung). I think the easier option is that they're pure nostalgia/fan service.

TLDR: better than TLJ, but that wasn't exactly hard to do lmao

setsuna7, Noisy Humbucker and bostjan like this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Better than TFA or no?

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

ehh maybe on par or slightly worse

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

i think the new trilogy descends in quality each installment. This one’s easily the worst. It’s a mess, it rushes through way too many pointless plot elements at speeds that make your head spin and negate any chance of any drama landing. And they introduce worthless characters that are supposed to pay off at the end. The weirdest/clumsiest being that bizarre scene at the very end with one of them and Lando.

Rey and Kylo are pretty good as usual, everything else is kind of a garbage fire. I’d give it a 5.5/10 or so.

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I say yes. It’s overly cheesy and Over the top in parts but that’s kinda when it’s at its best imho.

12. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

My wife is a long time Star Wars fan and was excited to go see it, she asked me if I wanted to go but said nah I’m good. When she got home from the cinema she had a look on her face like someone pissed in her cornflakes. I’m knew it would be shite.

13. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

This is the movie I saw. Short of having had Rey wake up in her AT-AT on Jakku with the whole trilogy having been a dream, I don't see how it was going to be anything else though.

As a follow up, the old "Expanded Universe" got it right first time. This trilogy, not at all. I just don't think that Disney is able to handle Star Wars. I don't know whether George Lucas would be laughing with his billions or crying into his pillow at what they have done.

14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I didn't mind it. It's completely absurd, but I didn't completely hate it like Attack Of The Clones. Yes it's a mess. It tries so hard to tie up every loose end imaginable and tripping over itself so many times, while the pace flailing maniacally in 2 overbloated hours. But I didn't mind it. I guess that's got to account to something.

Also John Williams' score was fantastic. It's a great swansong and a fitting end to an incredible career. Thank you John Williams for all the fantastic movie music you have given to the world.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  15. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I rewatched VII on Saturday, and still really like it.

I rewatched VIII on Sunday, and still really dislike it.

I watched IX Tuesday morning, and enjoyed it. A few genuinely confusing choices, and some of the typical shoehorned-in cheese moments, but overall I’d say it was a solid 7-7.5/10.

It’s really a shame they didn’t just give JJ the whole trilogy, there’s so much that would’ve been awesome to see fleshed out, instead of having two movies worth of ideas crammed into 140 minutes.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Some of what’s the worst about this movie has nothing to do with the last movie and is pure JJ. Like, the dagger with ancient runes on it that also perfectly aligns to the Death Star if you’re standing in one specific spot, and it helps you find the thing that helps you find another thing and sfyhshsgxbx. Oh and it was dropped by a sith master who fell in a hole next to his spaceship and got eaten by a big worm, who also
    has a boo-boo for Rey to heal to clumsily introduce a new power just so it didn’t come out of nowhere at the end.
    What a disaster of a plot line. They could have cut out all the way finder crap entirely and just had the dagger show the way to the planet, or better yet not have the dagger at all.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Can you imagine the nerd boners that would've emerged had they dropped one of these badboys instead of a dagger maguffin? God damn it makes me enraged just thinking about the missed opportunity.

[​IMG]

AxeHappy and c7spheres like this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Watched it on Monday, and just haven't been around a computer to weigh in until now.

Longer comments in spoiler tags, but I came into this with VERY low expectations, based on all this talk of retconning TLJ, and was relieved I liked it more than I expected.

First thing's first - this movie suffers from the same (IMO) fatal flaw as The Force Awakens - it's WAY too slavish, for critical plot elements, to the original trilogy. I came into this movie joking that if it ended with blowing up a bigger Death Star I'd be pissed. Instead, we got, at times, practically a shot-for-shot remake of the final throne room scene in Return of the Jedi, and a whole fleet of mini Death Stars. I mean, jesus christ, try to think up your own plot devices. :lol:

The Rey/Ben kiss was stupid. No attempt was made to sell a romance there, near as I can tell that was just JJ Abrams throwing internet fans a bone. That was just awkward. That said - the one thing this movie really impressed me with was using their weird connection - never fully explained in any of the movies - as a pretty cool mechanism in a fight scene. That one surprised me, pleasantly.

Admiral Hux? No point for that. Just don't let Chewie get picked up in the first place, cut that entire plot arc out of the story, and same some time to flesh out other things...

...like Abram's decision to just plop Palpatine into the story with nary a word of explanation. His laugh is in the trailer, and then the opening scroller is basically "yeah, so, um, we have a new big bad guy, and he's an old nemesis from the past!" I mean, if you're going to do it, fine - the idea isn't awful, absent Snoke you're pretty much tied to a showdown between Rey and Kylo and I get how that could be tricky - but at least do something to earn it, or make it a big surprise dropped on the audience partway through the movie. The most charitable explanation I can think of is Disney didn't think they'd be able to keep it a secret, so they just opened up about it, but come on. If you guys who hate TLJ get to be butt-hurt about Snoke getting killed off with nary a care, then I get to be butt-hurt about Palpatine getting shoved back into the story deus ex machina.

Similarly, the best I can say about Rey being a Palpatine was at least she wasn't a Skywalker after all. I thought one of the most interesting aspects of TLJ was the kid with the broom at the end and the overt acknowledgement that force-sensitive people are out there in the universe. The need to shoehorn her back into one of the established families... ehh... I don't think that was necessary.

The Kylo/Han Solo force ghost scene was actually kind of touching.

Idunno. I think the single biggest problem with the new trilogy is one both people who thought TLJ was a total debaclle, and a refreshing attempt to step away from some of the recycled tropes of TFA, can agree one - somehow, and much to my dumbfoundment, Disney appears to have never given their directors a central overarching storyline for the trilogy, and instead let them make it up on the fly. This leaves us with a trilogy with wildly different pacing, and plotlines working at times at cross purposes, or set up and then abandoned. You can say you preferred one approach to the other, and I'd rather have seen more of what Johnson brought to the table personally rather than A New Hope and Return of the Jedi remakes, but I'm really kinda shocked Disney didn't do a better job managing this.

I still enjoyed watching the movie, even for its numerous flaws, but I think not for nothing the real Star Wars story of December 2019 is Baby Yoda, and the fact this movie is sort of an afterthought in collective popular culture really isn't surprising.

AxeHappy, XPT707FX and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  19. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Honestly, I quite liked the movie. Some parts did feel a bit "meh..." to me, but that is hardly enough to spoil it for me. I would have liked some parts to have been presented better in terms of story, but truth is that some things feeling like a bit of an asspull isn't new at all in the Star Wars universe, so there's that.

mongey likes this.
  20. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan. I’ve seen most of the movies with friends, but don’t follow the stuff closely. IMO This whole trilogy was garbage. Nearly every character introduced was essentially pointless. The story arcs were underdeveloped, predictable, pointless; and many seemed to get abandoned mid story.

Visually it was good, the fight choreography was cool, and it had its moments in each episode. Strip away all the meaningless plot lines and undeveloped characters; it was pretty much: The Resistance has no shot, yes it does! No, it doesn’t; yes it does! No, it doesn’t; yes it does! No, it doesn’t; YES IT DOES! End trilogy :/

XPT707FX and KnightBrolaire like this.