Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ralyks, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, I can't believe I overlooked this. :lol: You're right, of course - Kylo Ren may have taken a new name and may have been born Ben Solo, but he is still technically a Skywalker. Ren rejecting the dark side of the force would a fitting way to wrap this up.

My money is on Luke being a minor/advisory character as a Force ghost a la Yoda in the last one, and frankly I hope he ISN'T a major part of the action.

One final thought - there's a lot of discussion here about JJ Abrams' potential storyline and Rian Johnson potentially deviating from it, with people here (myself included) having pretty strong feelings about the relative merits of each. That's beside the point, I think. The REAL issue here, IMO, wouldn't be that Abrams just did a rehash of A New Hope or Johnson deviated from storylines Abrams started, but that if that DID happen, that Disney had so little overall direction in where they wanted to take the storyline that they let Abrams write the first move, told him he'd write the third, and then let Johnson write the middle one, without making sure that the two directors were on the same page as far as major plotpoints like who Rey is and who they were going to fight. In fact, the idea that Disney could have hired two different writers/directors and just said, "you guys go figure out something, and don't necessarily talk to each other while you do so," and then washed their hands of the whole thing seems completely implausible to me.

I'd never really bothered to look into what the two have said about the other's work, but a bit of googling suggests Abrams was pretty supportive of Johnson's decisions, and in fact the Rey/Luke who'd turned his back on the force storyline dated back to The Force Awakens originally before it was collectively decided to move that storyline further back into the series. So, I wonder how much of this narrarive of JJ Abrams creating a story, and then Johnson blowing it up, is even true - the two men seem to be pretty closely in sync here, and if anything JJ Abrams has zero patience for the "TLJ was a sell-out to SJWs" arguments, which would have me thinking if I were one of the guys pissed off about TLJ I wouldn't be holding my breath for a big about-face in The Rise of Skywalker.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

They DIDN'T tell Abrams he could do the third, it was originally supposed to be by that Jurassic World hack until he released that insane sniper kid movie and they took him off the project. If they'd originally planned to have the same guy do 1 and 3 I'm sure that they would have made sure that 2 was part of the same "vision." But, Johnson wrote the whole thing with the assumption that Trevorrow was going to write and direct part 3, not that Abrams was going to come back and try to finish off what he'd started in 1.

It would have made more sense to have 3 totally different people do it, but it likely would have been more of a mess, too!

As much as people like to screech about TLJ, I think if Johnson gets to do his entire self-contained trilogy that it will be vastly better from a plot point of view than this trilogy was since it will actually be consistent across the three movies. Johnson's stand-alone movies are quite well-written.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh, I didn't know that. Cool. either way I think a lot of the hate TLJ gets is off base, and if I had to choose one I'd say it was the strongest of the two movies of the final three we've seen yet.

4. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I’m holding out hope for the emergence of evil Ewoks

p0ke and thedonal like this.
  5. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Tarfang would eat those camel-horse-rabbit-things for breakfast and crap porgs!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    crankyrayhanky likes this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I hate the sjw-hating assholes. It’s become impossible to just hate something because it’s a piece of shit.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I completely forgot Trevorrow did The Book Of Henry. Just comes to show that there was a ton of not just bad but equally forgettable movies that came out that year, which perhaps is much worse. However you feel about The Last Jedi, it's still heaty debated so at least it left a lasting impression.

Funny I sort of semi-defended Trevorrow in the movie thread. :lol: As much as I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed, it really was just an alright movie. The first Jurassic World film I also thought was alright even if some of my friend says otherwise. From what I heard of The Book Of Henry, it's a bonkers insane premise that could have an awesome movie with a deconstructionist theme (which seems to run in all his movies), but sadly marred by butthole execution.

It would have been interesting to see what new territories Trevorrow would have taken Star Wars, but oh well.

I also fall on this boat, despite The Last Jedi's faults. Agreed that all of Rian Johnson's work prior are well written. I'm genuinely curious how Knives Out will turn out.

8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Mmmm, yeah, I won't lie, I do too.
    Wait, Trevorrow did that? I actually enjoyed that one, but I had no idea he was the one who directed it. It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch but it was a good, just all around nice movie.

I guess that explains how he got the gig to direct Jurassic World.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Why do you guys do that? Most of what she's been in since the prequels is not good. Or, it's good, and she's the weak link (ex, Annihilation). I think Black Swan is the only thing that she's pretty good in that's also good.

Is it just cause you think she's hot?

10. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Oh look, it's uncle Palps!

[​IMG]

The Mandalorian is an upcoming live-action Star Wars television series currently being developed by Lucasfilm. The series will take place about five years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and is set to air exclusively on the new Disney+ streaming service beginning November 12, 2019. Jon Favreau is writing and will executive-produce the series. Directors include Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, Rick Famuyiwa, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Taika Waititi.

Uhh, what? Obi Wan Kenobi series also coming is :yoda:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  11. diagrammatiks

Please retcon the second movie.

thedonal and Noisy Humbucker like this.
  12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Talk about beating a dead horse. :lol:

TLJ > TFA. We didn't really need to remake A New Hope for a third time.

XPT707FX likes this.
  13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The Mandalorian has a lot of potential.

New trailer:

Funny how a new Star Wars film is a common thing now and the release of a film isn't a OMG thing anymore. With another planned future trilogy and 2 more Star Wars TV shows its going to get a bit much. What we really need is more games.

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Star Wars is a great setting for games. And there's been lots of enjoyable ones. +1 for more Star Wars games.

15. diagrammatiks

When things suck it's ok to talk about how much they suck. That's pretty standard.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

1313 joining the graveyard of Baldurs Gate 3 - The Black Hound, Fallout 3 - Van Buren and Fallout Tactics 2 was a sad day for me :(

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

Star Wars def needs more games. Especially after the whole shitstorm surrounding Battlefront II. I demand a Republic Commando sequel or maybe a Dark Forces remake.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Still, this is like the fifth time you've shared this exact same opinion/request in this thread. It gets boring after a while. :lol:

19. Evil Chuck

Evil Chuck SS.org Regular

I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater so I bought the 4K Blu Ray even though I was a little iffy on TFA.

I ended up shutting the Blu Ray player off in disgust right about the time Leia became a superhero and magically came back to life and floated back to the ship through the vacuum of space. I know nobody wants to hear a negative nancy badmouth their favorite stuff, but I loved Star Wars just as much as the next person. I will never finish TLJ and I will never watch another Star Wars movie as long as Disney is in charge. Which basically means I'll never see another Star Wars movie again.

It pains me to say it because I had such a connection to the original trilogy, but they're just movies after all. I'm probably better off not being so engrossed by imaginary space dramas anyway.

20. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I left the cinema after The Last Jedi and someone asked me what I thought. I enjoyed it for sure. And have enjoyed it again. But I couldn't answer on what I thought of it.

The "Woke" agenda was awful and a lot of what ruined the movie for me. Diminishing the male characters to make the women look stronger doesn't actually make the women any stronger- it leaves them exactly where they were. And Leia was always a very strong character anyway so I don't think this was necessary. They ruined Poe and Luke this way.

Rey continued with having no real personality as such (the writing and possibly choice of actress- though this isn't a criticism of Daisy Ridley at all- just that I don't think she was the right choice).

A number of the jokes (particularly the "Holding for Huggs" gag at the start) really stood out to me as bad writing- even on the first viewing. They are contemporary gags that truly take the vibe away from the "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" vibe. It's not Star Wars language. It's modern day Earth language. It will probably also date the film quite badly over time (like the proliferation of CGI in the 90s). In fact- I liked Hux and Domnhall Gleeson's performance- the bit speech near the end of Force Awakens is great and full of vitriol. And then he's diminished to a laughing stock at the start of Ep.8. He was initially being set up as a 'rival' to Kylo Ren that might hold his reigns as the story went on, despite Kylo's powers. That was completely dissolved.

I was disappointed that they killed Snoke (if they did- ripe for retconning)- Andy Serkis voicework was fantastic here and opened Snoke up as a more interesting character.

There's lots to undo in The Rise of Skywalker. I've seen some very complicated theories on what "could" happen and what that title could mean- but theories that are probably more complicated than Disney would dream of to finish the story.

I won't lie- I got a thrill when I saw the first teaser trailer. I always do for a new Star Wars movie. I'm hoping Rey goes dark (she is quite angry in many scenes and impetuous) and Kylo goes light. I guess I'd like Kylo's character to be given more gravitas than the confused, tantrum prone teenager he comes across as in Ep's 7 and 8.

I think JJ Abrams can undo some of the awful work that Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson did in TLJ, but he's got his work cut out and Disney hanging around his neck like a badly stuffed albatross. And- while I like some of his movies, he's not that great a film maker ever or even currently (those 2 Star Trek films were fairly forgettable, fun as they are-for example). We shall see...

If all we can say is "it was better than The Last Jedi", it won't be a great accolade for the film. It's one of the greatest movie sagas of all time (even with the Prequels!!)- it does deserve a solid, thrilling and "right" ending.