Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ralyks, Apr 12, 2019.

1. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

TRoS was a total clusterfuck.

It is not even worth trying to make sense of any of the plot points, because there wasn't any; it was just moving from one macguffin to the next, with heavy doses of cringe layered between them.

The only redeemable parts of the film were a few of the scenes with Ren and Rey.

GG Disney and Kathleen Kennedy; way to take what was a cool story, and turn it into ash.

Randy and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  2. ExileMetal

ExileMetal SS.org Regular

I agree with the comment about the original expanded universe being superior to the sequel trilogy; that’s why I originally slightly disliked this trilogy. TFA was at least an entertaining movie, despite it overwriting all of the books and imagination of that universe.

However, this movie is the worst for me by a huge margin, because it does far worse - it overwrites things from the original trilogy.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I have a friend who to this day refers to him as "Peter 'The Destroyer' Jackson" for what he did to The Hobbit. Mention his name and she starts ranting about bunnies and sleighs. Hard pass.

I think the real problem here is Disney, more than any other factor. There was evidently no plot direction given here. I think Johnson's moves were more to my taste, but at the end of the day the issues I have with Adams' choices would have been less pronounced had we not gone in a totally different direction in the midpoint.

That said - what I'm dying to know is why Rian Johnson turned Disney down when he was offered a chance to write and direct the third. That would have at least given us a consistent 2 and 3, and the first movie's retelling of Empire Strikes Back would have been no big deal in that context.

4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Because he had no ideas how to finish it off either.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Potentially. :lol:

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Finally got around to seeing it.

I thought it was fine. A lot of mcguffins and it was more a serious of scenes that happened than a cohesive movie.

But if I had to fix the mess of the second movie I'd have a hard time too.

In my mind everything up to the first big reveal is now the second movie. Everything after that is the third movie.

What I think is funny is that all the people that have hard-ons for the second movie are complaining like what the hell how come that one guy is still ....

Well, I think the answer is obvious right...his parents were nobody and he didn't feel like dying.

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

My guess would be that working in the Star Wars universe with a million people breathing down your neck is far, far less fun than making something you have control over, like Knives Out. :p

AxeHappy, XPT707FX and The906 like this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Fair point. :lol:

9. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

since apparently falling from great heights means you will just return years later they should have ended the Movie with Mace Windu Bursting into Palpatines room saying "I said you were under arrest".

jwade, wankerness, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  10. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Yes!!! I would loved that to have been the ending!!! This is a much better film than the one I saw at the cinema!

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Yeah... I mean, it wasn't like TROS wasn't a fun movie to watch or anything... it was just SUCH a missed opportunity. The twist with Rey's parents was ham-fisted and kind of dumb, the fact Palpatine got dropped back into the movie in the scrolling intro may have been a clumsier example of deus ex machina than those stupid bigger fish eating the little fish about to eat the sub in Ep I, and what the fuck was up with the kiss at the end? There were some legitimately great and inventive moments, but on the while the thing was just too slavish to the original trillogy, and too unwilling to do ANYTHING that hadn't been done before.

12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

“I said you were under arrest!”

I can just hear that in Samuel L Jackson’s voice so clearly. In my mind this is now canon and Disney is dead to me.

13. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Anyone else notice that...
    Luke’s “sunken x-wing” got the ol’ switcheroo? It was the newer model (T70?) in TLJ which I thought was lame. Apparently JJ did too and decided to pull a hardline retcon.

Not that it matters one bit, just thought it was funny.

The906 likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Just because Han flies a hundred year old piece of junk doesn't mean Luke has to too.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Did you really notice that without reading about it on some site?

16. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Yeah, but I’m a dork for aircraft (even fictional ones).

First time I saw TLJ I assumed it was his old fighter in the ocean, then realized it wasn’t upon my second viewing (that shot lasts for all of a second).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020