Staining Fretboard with Higgins India Ink

Byle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, what I would recommend is to go back over lightly with 0000 steel wool then once over each fret lightly with a dampened rag.. then hit it w/ fretboard conditioning oil(music nomad f-one oil, stew Mac fretboard finishing oil) this is what I did to really seal it in there without sealing the fretboard completely. If that doesn’t work I’d recommend re-sanding then hitting it with the miniwax ebony 2718 stain pen
I did use the f one oil the first time I did the whole staining process, and I kept going over it with the dampened rag but when i do that does it eventually stop coming off? cause since it is non waterproof i thought it wouldjust keep coming off when i used the rag, it didnt seem to stop coming off lol

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah man it worked great for me after trial and error.. just follow stew Mac steps for the India ink and then I recommend lightly sanding with the same grit(600) instead of the steel wool and then hit with a few coats of the stain pen, but make sure you let it sit between coats atleast 10 and 30 min the longer it sits the darker it stains. Follow up by letting it cure for atleast 24 hours and the finally as stew Mac suggests rub it down with 0000 steel wool to get any excess pigment off the surface and once your done wipe it down with fretboard conditioning oil(I personally use f-one by music nomad) here’s my results so you can judge for yourself:)

I used fiebings and then sealed it with about 5 layers of finishing/tru oil

Did either of you have to mask the inlays? I'm assuming you have to mask everything, but maybe you don't?

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did either of you have to mask the inlays? I'm assuming you have to mask everything, but maybe you don't?
I brought an empty refillable paint pen, filled it with the fiebings dye, then super carefully drew the stain on. I didn't mask up and done a super neat job considering.

I then done a binding scrape at the end.
In my experience taping up creates issues because if there's accidents it makes them worse and plus you might not know its happened until its soaked in for hours and permanently ruined things. So I opted against it so I could see what was happening in real time.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I brought an empty refillable paint pen, filled it with the fiebings dye, then super carefully drew the stain on. I didn't mask up and done a super neat job considering.

I then done a binding scrape at the end.
In my experience taping up creates issues because if there's accidents it makes them worse and plus you might not know its happened until its soaked in for hours and permanently ruined things. So I opted against it so I could see what was happening in real time.

i did not mask inlays, i just sanded around them
Cool. I have a couple of Japanese Jacksons with sharks and binding that I'm considering dyeing.