Staining and Binding...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by foreright, Apr 22, 2021.

1. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Hi all,

My current build is going to have binding on the body. The slight wrinkle in this is that the top of the body is going to be stained. My question is as to what order to do things in:

[1] Route binding channels
    [2] Stain top
    [3] Apply binding
    [4] Apply final finish (probably tru-oil or something like that)

I've experimented with [2] and [3] in that order and also reversed (ie. binding first and then stain) and not really had satisfactory results either way.

When I stain first and then apply binding to some scrap I found that the acetone I used to apply the binding simply "melts" the stain (probably because the stain is spirit based and the acetone reacts with it). The other way around I found that when scraping the binding to remove the stain I found it difficult not to mark the stain on the top. I did think about apply the binding, masking it (how???) and then staining but trying to accurately mask 1.5mm thick binding around a guitar body is going to be tricky.

How do people do this?? I'm guessing there's some trick to it...

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bind first, seal with pinstripe and/or windshield tape or wax, then finish. It is a pain to mask it off, but you'll get into your groove.

Score with a fresh razor blade, but use micromesh along the top edge to get the sharp line.

Some spray or rub a thin finish on thier binding as they apply it, but I've never tried that method.

foreright likes this.
  3. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Awesome - I did actually just try masking my scrap test with just blue painter's tape and I had one tiny - less than 0.5mm dot - of bleed through (or rather, bleed under if that's a thing!) on a 10cm or so section of binding. I wasn't expecting that tape to actually be good enough to do this - might do a test with pinstripe tape also.