SSO: Deep Thoughts

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Worried about my amps' futures, so just pondering why do make guitar vacuum tubes with glass and such delicate construction. Isn't there some more durable that could be used? And is there money in something like that? I mean, if you could just get past R&D costs, you could have a product that is in demand for all amplifiers past and present. Of course, business is going to be terrible if those things last for years and years. But I have a feeling the days of dicking with glass tubes should have been long gone, but no one gives enough of a shite about guitarists to innovate.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Worried about my amps' futures, so just pondering why do make guitar vacuum tubes with glass and such delicate construction. Isn't there some more durable that could be used? And is there money in something like that? I mean, if you could just get past R&D costs, you could have a product that is in demand for all amplifiers past and present. Of course, business is going to be terrible if those things last for years and years. But I have a feeling the days of dicking with glass tubes should have been long gone, but no one gives enough of a shite about guitarists to innovate.
"no one gives a shit about guitarists enough to innovate"

They did actually, a really fuckin long time ago. Its guitarists that are holding it back, your statement is quite ironic.

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

They did actually, a really fuckin long time ago. Its guitarists that are holding it back, your statement is quite ironic.
Tube amps sound like tube amps, man. I've been a Kemper user since 2013, have an Axe FXIII of late. It's not the same. And beyond just tone, the responsiveness of a tube amp is just something you have to experience, with no lag between string picking and the sound emanating. Drives me bugshit about the Kemper. Do some syncopated palm muting and you'll start to feel that lag build up. Not so with tube amps.

Last edited:

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tube amps sound like tube amps, man. I've been a Kemper user since 2013, have an Axe FXIII of late. It's not the same. And beyond just tone, the responsiveness of a tube amp is just something you have to experience, with no lag between string picking and the sound emanating. Drives me bugshit about the Kemper. Do some syncopated palm muting and you'll start to feel that lag build up. Not so with tube amps.
*perceived lag

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
why do make guitar vacuum tubes with glass and such delicate construction
Realistically, a lot of people have tried. There have been tube alternatives for a long time and they just never caught on (until digital more recently), either because people were being snobby about it not being "genuine", or because it legitimately didn't sound as good. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch, but I'd assume that any small change in how you construct the components is going to have some subtle (or not subtle) knock-on effect to how the amp sounds.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

One thing I would love is a like an AxeFX or a Kemper type thing, but just one amp. I don't need the versatility of 500 amps with 10 times the tweakablity of a normal amp, I want 1 amp. Sell an amp that is just a perfect model of an amp.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
One thing I would love is a like an AxeFX or a Kemper type thing, but just one amp. I don't need the versatility of 500 amps with 10 times the tweakablity of a normal amp, I want 1 amp. Sell an amp that is just a perfect model of an amp.
They are kind of doing that with those little mooer pedals. Plus several popular amp companies are making mini solid state versions of their flagships. Soldano, orange, Diezel, and others I believe.

nightlight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Realistically, a lot of people have tried. There have been tube alternatives for a long time and they just never caught on (until digital more recently), either because people were being snobby about it not being "genuine", or because it legitimately didn't sound as good. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch, but I'd assume that any small change in how you construct the components is going to have some subtle (or not subtle) knock-on effect to how the amp sounds.
I'm no expert on how vacuum tubes are constructed as well, but it is a legacy technology that has few uses in the modern world other than high end audio. Like I said, the R&D would be prohibitive, so I have no idea how they would do it. Essentially, my thought was about building a better mousetrap. With the way the global economy is turning out, I'm just worried about already high tube costs soaring even further. That would make my amps really higher maintenance than they already are.

Latest posts