Squier Paranormal Baritone - Cheap 27" Ripe for Modding?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
word to the wise, the stock soapbars seem to be unpotted and they squeal like a banshee at volume with dirt. I found someone on TGP making similar complaints. Going to try potting mine because learning is cool, but probs looking at replacements down the road.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda wonder how these would sound with mini humbuckers.

only one way to find out, do it for science

anigif_sub-buzz-18884-1500497931-9_preview.gif

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
word to the wise, the stock soapbars seem to be unpotted and they squeal like a banshee at volume with dirt. I found someone on TGP making similar complaints. Going to try potting mine because learning is cool, but probs looking at replacements down the road.
A noise gate helps a lot with these.

Im going to go swap pickups at some point but have no idea what I want.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I see that you mean well but a noise gate is antithetical to everything I do :lol:

I love feedback, just not bad, ugly feedback.
Yeah i get it - it kinda robs the tone a tiny bit. I just have a cheap no-name from amazon that works pretty well.

I get a lot of noise from my Monitor so i kinda have to face a certain direction to minimize the noise.

When i push my Orange really hard with the Plumes and Special Cranker at the same time it does get squealy if I am facing the wrong way and i have the gain up past noon.

I have an HX Stomp also and the gate on it works pretty well.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just took the stock pickups out of a hot paraffin bath. I used a small crock pot from value village and gulf wax from the grocery store.

I can't solder them back in right now because the power went out right as they finished, so I'm posting about it instead. Will report back when I am actually able to test them out.

Also, I had planned on replacing the nut anyway but I had the strings off and noticed the filing job on the low B :lol:

7C8C397E-BF77-45D9-A00E-21E07020CA1F.jpeg

I've got a couple shows coming up so it will have to do. Pretty annoying though that they set it up with such thick strings, the daddario 13-62 sets I use are definitely gonna rattle a bit.

Elwoodofthedead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been lurking this thread for a little bit now. Saw someone had mentioned emg made 81’s in p90 housings and thought I’d give it a try. Picked up a p81 and p60a. The pickups and pots were drop in with no modifications to the body needed(although it is a bit tight in the control cavity with the battery). I think it came out pretty decent and sounds mean as hell in drop g
Finished pic

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Ended up finding one of these for a steal so i grabbed it. Found a cheapo set of mini humbuckers i might try on them just to get a feel for the sound

Mini Humbucker Conversion Set For P90 Cutout-4 Wire For Coil Tap-Black https://reverb.com/item/4514583-min...hare&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=4514583
Literally about to press the trigger on this and was hoping to come in here and have one of the forum regs get one, how do you like it? Or have you not received it yet?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Literally about to press the trigger on this and was hoping to come in here and have one of the forum regs get one, how do you like it? Or have you not received it yet?
The guitar or pickups? I still haven't got the guitar yet (sometime later this week), and I'm still not 100% if those are the pickups I'm going with

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The guitar or pickups? I still haven't got the guitar yet (sometime later this week), and I'm still not 100% if those are the pickups I'm going with
The guitar, i see ProAudioStar has them on reverb for 279.99 free shipping saying there is 85 available as used.

You think these are B stock or whats going on?