Square 2x12 cab opinion?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Akkush, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Akkush

Akkush SS.org Regular

Hi there!

Does anyone heared about or have experiance with a square 2x12 cabinet?

For example:
    [​IMG]

It could be halfway between a regular 2x12 and a 4x12 in tone and sound dispersion?

Thank you for your input!

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

See if they list the volume and compare that with a regular 212.

The likely benefit to that shape is aesthetic, convenience of size, and since it gets a speaker higher you will get more projection (like a vertical cab).

Personally I think it would have been cooler if they did what older combos did with having one 12" and one 10" if they were going to do it that way.

Akkush likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I built one of these before and ended up not using it. I think mine was to deep as I made it 16" deep. It's a bit boomy sounding and hard to get tight and punchy. There was just to much space inside it. That being said if you're not looking for a tight loud heavy distortion I could totally see where it excells at other tones like blues and jazz and cleans and such.
    - It doesn't sound bad with heavy distortion or anything but again, I wouldn't recommend for tight metal distortion stuff. It would work great for pratically everything else though.
    - This cab is gonna be different because I'm guessing it's more like 12 or 14" deep an the speakers and volume it runs at will have a huge effect.
    - The dispersion is fine but you'd want to front mount the speakers to maximize that.
    - You definitely will be making the cabinet a bigger part of your tone.
    - Oddly enough the one I built had a similar vibe to the Boogie 2x12 vertical. The really old ones where the top cab was an open back and the bottom was a closed back. That cab had EVM 12L's in it. The cab I built had Ev Forces inside it. It wasn't exactly like it but similar.
    -The Boogie was tighter but smaller sounding at the same time with less dispersion. I liked it more.
    - The dispertion on the one I built was more of an illusion though as a lot of what you're hearing is kind of a hollow sound yet it fills the room. The direct beam from the speaker is basically the same. You do get a lot more cab sound with this design for sure. Almost like the difference of a jumbo acoustic and a shallow body acoustic or something.
    - It is not like half-way between a 2x12 and 4x12 though. It's more like an oversized semi open back 2x12. It doesn't pump like a 4x12 does, ime.
    -

Akkush likes this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Reading my comment again I should clarify. The Boogie sounded smaller and tighter but it was louder at the same time. It was more focused is what I think I was trying to get at.

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

If you can handle the height of that offset 212, you're so close to a 412 you might as well get that IMO.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I have some of the old Marshall 1966 cabs which are 2x12s like that. They sound great IMHO and help a bit to get the sound up off the floor. Catch is that at least the Marshall cab is not as wide as most full-sized heads, so it looks a bit funny.

They are MUCH lighter than a 4x12.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

For vertical and horizontal (and diagonal) the frequencies are sort of like a line array, in terms of dispersion, beaming, etc. So there's that to consider, as well. Check this out: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/line-arrays-explained

Generally, vertical orientation of a 2x12 will give more horizontal dispersion, and works well in a band setting, because the whole band can hear you. But it doesn't give much in a vertical direction (which would be minimized because you'd need to be substantially above the cabinet, anyway). So, I suppose that in theory the horizontal cab gives a little of each (along the diagonal) so you could get some vertical and horizontal disperson.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Wolfhorsky and c7spheres like this.
  8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

The Orange 212OB is fairly square and sounds good. I use one. You can also DIY a solution to close it off if you wanted to.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I had a SUNN 212 that was this same design, it came with my Beta lead combo and sounded much better than the partially open back 410 it was enclosed with. I traded it for a RAT but I do miss it sometimes.

I have never liked in line 212s aesthetically or otherwise, I would always rather have a combo or a half stack. To me carrying two pieces of gear for a combo amp’s worth of sound is the worst of both worlds. This at least addresses the aesthetic side of that.

Godspeed has “full stacks” of Emperor 1x12s tho and they were good (and loud) as heck, so what do I know?

c7spheres likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

For the diagonal configuration of 2x12 this cab looks like the perfect design for it. It's shallow (11.??") , semi open back or closed style, thick dense wood etc. Looks like everything I'd change about the one I built a long time ago but even better more thought out. I kinda wanna hear these now.

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Plus, a 1x12 will have way more lateral and vertical dispersion and less beaming (and combing, and all the other stuff) than a 2x12 or 4x12. Though, if you stacked them that would go away. But it does make a good argument for a single speaker combo!

c7spheres likes this.
  12. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Just google an image of the back. There's basically strips of wood on the top and bottom with the center of the back being open. I don't know the exact dimensions. Either way, killer sounding cab.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I had a Laney cab that was very similar to the one in the picture (AOR series?). It was from the 80s and made in England.

A decent quality cab will usually sound better than a cheap one, so you need to consider the quality as well, but in general the wider, "square" design sounds better in the room, as it disperses the sound more and has a bigger, fuller sound (due to the larger metric volume of the cabinet). The Laney cabs were built that way in part so that they could accommodate a full size head on the top, as this was way before the advent of lunchbox amps. I would say, if done correctly, it will be definitely sound closer to a proper 4x12" than a more compact 2x12". On the downside it is of course quite a bit bigger and heavier, and I would strongly recommend side handles and wheels on such a cab. At that point you might then consider a 4x12 right away.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

dont understand the use of these.

If its basically the size and shape of a 4x12, why not just get a 4x12?

4 speakers are infinitely better than 2 - especially if blended. Like an X pattern or something

2x12s for me our a compromise on size and tonally you expect them to be tighter sounding as a result.
    Anything outside of that seems odd.

The closest I would go is the vertical style 2x12s because at least they are basically the same size as a normal 2x12 but the speakers are vertical instead.

anything else seems pointless to me.

15. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

/\ Well 2 speakers are lighter than 4...and being slightly smaller than a 4x12 in dimensions, you definitely end up with a lighter cab for hauling around. For some people the weight makes a big difference. For me it's 4x12 or bust.

That being said, the only offset 2x12 I've heard in person was an Emperor and it fucking slayed. At this point it's the only 2x12 shape I would consider...or a Port City 2x12. Those cabs are king IMO and I have a custom 4x12 by them on order!

c7spheres likes this.