SPX90 II

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mourguitars, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

image.jpg Bought this unit very cheap said low battery, quick google search showed me how to do it and reset it back to factory took me around a hour to dis assemble solder the new battery to the board and re assemble....very easy . Battery cost $17.18 off the bay

Now to try that one preset “ Symphonic” ....looks like a very simple patch time to give it a whirl....anyone that has one of these units from the past chime in and give so much need tips !

lurè and wakjob like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Blast from the past.

I've messed around with one of its decedents, the 990. A pain in the ass to tweak, but it gave that quintessential 90's fusion verb and the EQ was very musical. I thought the compressor was meh, and the distortions were pretty awful, but the stereo modulation was great for the time. Gates were solid too.

It definitely competes with some of the more well known processors of the time, mostly Eventide and Art units.

Mourguitars likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That's supposed to be the key to the No Rest For The Wicked tone right therr.

Mourguitars likes this.
  4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Lots of 80's players had two of those in their racks...
    It was another way to get a semi "tri-chorus" type sound. Or at least that stereo widening/detuning 80's thing.

Yep, it was all about the chorus/detune in those units.

I keep my eye them in the used market.
    They are definitely priced right atm...

Mourguitars likes this.
  5. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Sounds like the mid 80's..everything works, cleaned up nice..Have less than $80 in the old unit. It will have a use maybe ill try it with the Midiverb 4 i got with the deal use a plate reverb on it...see how it sounds, back to reading manuals !

It was the 1st time i used that cooper desolder braid taking things off a circuit board..went great with that as a cushion between the iron and the board i felt a little more relaxed at doing the job...FYI

Mike

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019