Specific production year of RG7321's?

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about getting a 7321 because of how cheap they are, and upgrading the pups, tuners, and bridge.

I remember someone mentioning a while back about certain years of production for these that were more desirable than others, but don't recall what years it was.

There's a '07 on GC right now that seems to be in pretty good shape for under $200.

Also, am I correct in saying that Hipshot makes tuners and bridges that are just drop in for these? Any other companies that make drop in replacements? Are the Gibraltar bridges compatible?

Thanks for any and all help.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Once you're paying to add hipshot stuff, you might as well just track down an MIJ 74xx/76xx

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
Once you're paying to add hipshot stuff, you might as well just track down an MIJ 74xx/76xx

I've been looking for those too for a while, but all the ones I've come across are in rather bad shape. I'm sure there are nice ones out there from private sellers but I'm not down with dealing with strangers off the internet. I'd rather stick to big name places with return policies if I get something not in the advertised shape. I know that probably sounds strange to a lot of folks here but I've heard too many horror stories and would rather avoid any problems.

Also, I really like the neck binding on these. lol

How do the newer Indo 7420's stack up to the 7321's?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Mine was an Indonesian early 2000's. Out of the box, the nut was sooo bad. A nice graphtech replacement and 100% better. After new pots and a jack, it was a good workhorse guitar. Other specimens that came through the shop where I worked over the same time frame were better.

The back of the neck has nasty mineral streaking, but it didn't affect anything, except the resale value was basically nothing.

Marv Attaxx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a korean 7321 and it's badass. On the other hand a MIK 7321 can be quite expensive, at least within Europe (last time I've checked they were between 450 and 900 Euros). Officially they were made in Korea from 2001 to 2004 and then from 2005 until they were discontinued in 2012 in Indonesia.
Mine was made in 2005 and is still MIK though.
Used it live a lot, dropped it, banged into bandmates and always kept on working. Recently refinished it, but it was always a well playing and sturdy instrument, despite it's age.

Upgrades: Hipshot hardtail bridge should be a direct replacement, for the tuner you're gonna have to drill.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only years I'd be weary of are the 05' through 07', lots of teething issues switching to the new factory, but by the end of 07'/beginning of 08' they were solid again.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I've been looking for those too for a while, but all the ones I've come across are in rather bad shape. I'm sure there are nice ones out there from private sellers but I'm not down with dealing with strangers off the internet. I'd rather stick to big name places with return policies if I get something not in the advertised shape. I know that probably sounds strange to a lot of folks here but I've heard too many horror stories and would rather avoid any problems.

Also, I really like the neck binding on these. lol

How do the newer Indo 7420's stack up to the 7321's?
Not sure abou the 7321's but Since you're internet weary there's a rg7620 at guitar center online's used section for $380. I think GC has some type of return policy. It looks dirty and probably has some dent's dings and wear, but that's a good price for an rg7620, plus it's the one with the skunk stripe, so a 2000 model or above I think, which is more stable neck than the old 1pc in theory.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/RG7620-7-String-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
Not sure abou the 7321's but Since you're internet weary there's a rg7620 at guitar center online's used section for $380. I think GC has some type of return policy. It looks dirty and probably has some dent's dings and wear, but that's a good price for an rg7620, plus it's the one with the skunk stripe, so a 2000 model or above I think, which is more stable neck than the old 1pc in theory.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibanez/RG7620-7-String-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
Looks like that is a 7420. Still a good guitar though.

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score

Yea, I saw that one before. Bridge looks kinda rusty, and if even GC posts it in "fair" condition I'm a bit weary. lol Right on though.

I waited too long on a Vampire Kiss 7620 in really good shape a short while back. Posting was only up a couple days before selling. I should have jumped on it.

I saw the 7620 posted for sale here for $500, but the seller doesn't want to ship and it's too far of a drive.

I just figure a 7321, even after the price of new tuners and a bridge is still a bit cheaper or the about the same price as a 7620 in good shape.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yea, I saw that one before. Bridge looks kinda rusty, and if even GC posts it in "fair" condition I'm a bit weary. lol Right on though.

I waited too long on a Vampire Kiss 7620 in really good shape a short while back. Posting was only up a couple days before selling. I should have jumped on it.

I saw the 7620 posted for sale here for $500, but the seller doesn't want to ship and it's too far of a drive.

I just figure a 7321, even after the price of new tuners and a bridge is still a bit cheaper or the about the same price as a 7620 in good shape.
I love rg-7620's. They are worth the wait and price, but are going up in price and getting really hard to find in good condition. I imagine there will be a bunch of stuff coming up for sale between now and the next couple months after people sell off stuff to buy new stuff for Christmas and sell off stuff after they get tht new stuff. There will be deals to be had. I'm waiting myself for some deals.

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
I love rg-7620's. They are worth the wait and price, but are going up in price and getting really hard to find in good condition. I imagine there will be a bunch of stuff coming up for sale between now and the next couple months after people sell off stuff to buy new stuff for Christmas and sell off stuff after they get tht new stuff. There will be deals to be had. I'm waiting myself for some deals.

True, good call. I'd much rather have a 7620, just haven't had luck finding one in good shape lately. When I wasn't looking to buy they seemed to pop up pretty frequently.

I might just sit tight and wait. Idk.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I played some really shitty ones, definitely a few bad bodies (heavy and dead sounding) but worse has always been the neck profile. Looks like they changed that along the way because I got a newer 7321 some months back and the profile feels a LOT closer to my 7620.

FILTHnFEAR

Reaction score
I played some really shitty ones, definitely a few bad bodies (heavy and dead sounding) but worse has always been the neck profile. Looks like they changed that along the way because I got a newer 7321 some months back and the profile feels a LOT closer to my 7620.

What year is your 7321?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year is your 7321?

I'll check when I get home. It was used but immaculate with plastic on the cavities, which leads me to believe it had to be pretty recent. I know the Ibanez wiki seems to indicate the Wizard II-7 changed in 2010, so my assumption would be it's sometime after that.

Mechayoshi

The Mario Clash
Reaction score
I feel like the prices have went up. Couldn't you find these for <200 used all the time?