Spawn and other tech

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best album ever made:

Runner up

I absolutely love this album. Listened to it so much back when it was released. Too bad they never released a follow up record, but OHMnivalent is perfect as it is, so at least we have that.
I gave ohmnivalent a listen it's definitely bonkers,.love it. Their first album was kinda of meshuggah worship which is less my thing, at least from the brief listen I gave it.

I don't love this album really, but it's definitely got tech.

fookite

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I'd say First Fragmet early on, their new stuff is more techy power metal i think. I was super hyped for their recent release and lost interest pretty quickly. Archspire, and Inferi the stuff that isnt their singles fit the bill pretty well for me, especially The Path of Apotheosis. It sounds pretty similar to Incurso in some ways. In terms of what comes close to Noctambulant and Cabinet though, I'm afraid there isn't anything similar, at least that I've found. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, but both of those albums broke ground that hasn't since been touched imo.

I'm not (or haven't been to this point) into tech death and I listened to the newest First Fragment album based on your anti-recommendation here and it fucking bangs. Not even close to power metal but maybe tech-melodeth?

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
I'm not (or haven't been to this point) into tech death and I listened to the newest First Fragment album based on your anti-recommendation here and it fucking bangs. Not even close to power metal but maybe tech-melodeth?
Even by Phil's (the main guitarist/song writer) admission, the new album is very heavily influenced by his love of power metal. Obviously this is not a 1:1 comparison, but to deny the influence would be wrong IMO. I still say First Fragment is a tech death band, but with so many other genres getting thrown in, it's hard to say that they are only tech death, the same way you would when talking about Origin or Spawn of Possession for example.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Even by Phil's (the main guitarist/song writer) admission, the new album is very heavily influenced by his love of power metal. Obviously this is not a 1:1 comparison, but to deny the influence would be wrong IMO. I still say First Fragment is a tech death band, but with so many other genres getting thrown in, it's hard to say that they are only tech death, the same way you would when talking about Origin or Spawn of Possession for example.
They could probably be called prog death, in the alkaloid vein or something. His interview on Cali death podcast is pretty solid.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score

Love the song, hate how overly edited the guitars are. That's always been the case with Matt IIRC, though. I remember when the vocalist of my old band was in Enfold Darkness briefly, he said that they were doing the guitars note by note (at least for the leads). He can definitely play his ass off, so I can't give a pass here.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
36805427_849126148622517_8795934567979548672_n.jpg

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Love that album but I've listened to the instrumental version so much that when I hear it with vocals it throws me off so much.

Oh yes. Please singers shut up and let us enjoy those glorious riffs!