south east asian trip

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by soliloquy, May 7, 2018.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

okay, so i figured i'd post it here.
    planning a multi month trip across several countries in the south east asia. could use any tips/advice. what to see, what to do, what not to do, what to avoid etc.

the countries i'm thinking of visiting in the following order:
    Philippines
    Indoneisa
    Singapore (may skip?)
    Malaysia (may skip?)
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Vietnam
    China ->Hong Kong, Guilin, Shanghai, Beijing, Lhasa
    IF TIME PERMITS: Nepal,

then Pakistan, and come back to canada from Karachi.

time line will be: October 24th to Jan 7th. approx? no set dates yet.

will be going with my wife. mostly backpacking around.
    will use any traveling method that comes our way. be it a tuktuk, a horse carriage, a boat, truck, bus etc.

not much into drinking, so we are good with that.

due to time restrain, we may skip more developed countries such as Malaysia and Singapore. i'm sure they are great countries, but lets see...

what i'm interested into: photography. culture. history.
    what she's interested into: culture. people interaction.

and go

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've been to Cambodia. It's pretty cool, I guess. A week felt too long though. Was my first exposure to a truly 3rd world country (if we don't count Gary, IN). I had always been interested in Angkor Wat since I learned about it in World History... but I'd be lying if I said that the reason I picked Cambodia wasn't because it's practically the cheapest place in SE Asia that you can go to.

It was pretty disillusioning to go to this ancient, sacred, national treasure monument park and see every single thing there broken, vandalized, and covered in litter. Nothing makes you feel in touch with the legacy of human civilization on Earth like cellophane snack wrappers littered around a decapitated statue.

My cynicism aside: it's cheap as heck, the food wasn't too scary, and the temples were still very impressive despite not being maintained very well. And it felt safe. I wasn't worried about the locals robbing me or anything, which I guess is a big thing over in Thailand.

and be careful because some of the pizza places will cover you pizza with cannabis and you get super lit, which seems like it might not be for you lol

soliloquy likes this.
  3. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

spiked pizza? huh. never would have thought that.
    i'm actually curious about that now. ahah would be interesting to see what Cambodia will be while high.

and, like you, Angkor Wat has interested me for decades. mainly because it is not covered by the history i took. once one of the biggest cities in the world, and now its not even talked about as its shadowed by the greeks, egyptians, romans, chinese, meso etc. breaks my heart and i'd love to see/learn more from there.

and if a week in Cambodia is too much, i could easily knock it down and focus more time in China then. as Tibet is something i really want to explore and learn from. maybe even nepal

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Just so you know, I've heard it said that some people cannot handle the elevation of Tibet and that altitude sickness affects them for the entire duration of their trip there. Idk if that's not also true of Nepal...

And I don't want to accidentally talk you out of visiting Cambodia. Did I mention that staying there for an entire week only cost 130$ for the hotel/b&b-ish place? And it was new years season, so the price was allegedly doubled. I only just meant that you can do everything there is to do in Siem Reap within 3 days, no need to burn a whole week there. It was really enjoyable to go temple climbing... if you like risking bodily injury :lol:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

ahha, no not at all. i'd still love to explore Cambodia. however, if 1 week is more than enough, then i can spend like 4 days or something there, then move onto another part of the world.

and yeah, i heard that places like Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet etc can cause people to have altitude sickness. however, i have also heard that those who take the train ride from beijing/shanghai that takes about 2 days to get there, that gives you plenty of time to SLOWLY become acclimatized to the gradual change. but that is based on my VERY limited research and knowledge of the area.

its the samething in Chili and Peru. folks who hike or take a slow train do better than people who drive up fast or fly there.