soooooooooo many truths in this vid

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's easy to figure out:

Band A has their style. Band gets relatively known, signs to a label while they also: gets
airplay, sees higher guaranteees and endorsee deals etc.

Bands B through Z see that rise, have similar styles already, and want the same results. They follow suit to a large extent. Some get picked up and see similar results, some do not.

People will move to whats selling (pick a metric) in the hopes the current carries them too. Others will not, but that may be a much smaller percentage - Ive never looked into it.

Most unique sounding bands are either the pioneer of their (sub)genre or arent well known, maybe both.

Not sure you need a YT video to point out that the entertainment industry is an industry lol.

Gain_Junkie93

Can't handle 7's.
Reaction score
Boring people with all the technology in the world still make boring music. More people have an outlet to be heard, we just don't want to hear most of it. I didn't watch the vid I just think instagram bedroom virtuosos and blatant copycat bands are so safe and lame. Safe clean and sterile is so overdone.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I find him beyond annoying but when this video popped up in my feed I watched and while he is still annoying .... he is also correct.
I think that might be the best way to describe Glenn. :lol:
I always forget he's in the same city/metro area as me. I think my buddies recorded with him when we were in high school. That means absolutely nothing, I'm basically living the Leo meme from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... Anyway, carry on.

gnoll

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is an infinite amount of space, but there is VASTLY less space that actually sounds unique, and even less space that is both unique and actually good music that people want to listen to.

I don't get this. So let's all just be cover bands? Or what?

The amount of cool, different and interesting stuff that can be done with music is insane, but it's only gonna happen if people put in some effort.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score

The amount of cool, different and interesting stuff that can be done with music is insane, but it's only gonna happen if people put in some effort.

No, I didn't say that music was literally the same - I said that a great deal of music; good, legit, quality music; does not sound UNIQUE. That doesn't make music bad; it's simply a truism that UNIQUENESS is next to impossible to achieve after centuries of music being created by humans. Nothing new under the sun, you know?

But that's not a problem at all. It's a good thing. Because restrictions breed creativity, and that's how we find new ways to express ourselves. Not by imagining a whole new kind of music played on spoons at 50khz and higher; no by thinking about how we can take 2 guitars, a bass and a drum kit and do something a bit different with them.

That's why I gave Meshuggah as a good example - A band that is quite conventional in terms of their line up, but they have this thing they do with time signatures which is different. Now, they still sound like a metal band. And actually unless you know about music, Meshuggah don't sound all that special. They are not utterly unique; bands like Cynic and Death have done some of that same stuff in metal; and jazz bands have done it for decades too. But they are interesting and creative.

You don't have to be legitimately unique to make amazing music, and I don't think that anyone should aspire to sound utterly dissimilar to what humans normally consider music. That way madness lies. You should strive to do your own thing, have your own sound, and feel somehow... You. But you still do that within the boundaries of being a metal band; you plug a guitar into an amp, dial up the distortion, start playing some riffs. You probably do want lyrics, you probably do want repeated sections, although they don't necessarily have to choruses. You probably do want at least some crowd pleasing breakdowns or solos or similar. Hardly unique, right? But you put your own spin on these elements and make something that is yours even though it is not unique.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

That's not what's being said at all. There is lots of room for creativity, lots of room for experimentation, but when it comes to music based on around the "standard" 12 tones, it's almost impossible to do stuff that either hasn't been done, or is something people actually want to listen to, which is ultimately the metric of a successful artist: people desiring to consume your art. Doesn't mean everyone should throw in the towel or start a cover band, it just means between that and the ubiquity of people being able to record and release quality-sounding productions, people need to temper their expectations and work accordingly. I see it daily on social media where people are getting frustrated to the point of wanting to quit because they pour time into something that nobody really notices, even though they feel like they've got something good an interesting.

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my opinion no matter how unique the music is, what ultimately makes a difference is if the artist has a good taste in songwriting. And the mix, rather than focusing on "loud" or "clean" like it's a competition, it's better to focus on the atmosphere, where the mixing and sound design helps the song or ties the album together like it's an experience. That's what would make an album memorable for me.

Making music unique is super easy, you have all kinds of stuff for the computer, samples of every rare instrument, pitch shifting, audio processing, everything you can think of. You could even buy a weird instrument youself and record that with a mic and edit that to hell or whatever.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Making music unique is super easy, you have all kinds of stuff for the computer, samples of every rare instrument, pitch shifting, audio processing, everything you can think of. You could even buy a weird instrument youself and record that with a mic and edit that to hell or whatever.

Hell, these days you can 3D print an instrument to your own specifications that has never been seen before! But it won't be good music unless you write good music.

And that's really the thing. Uniqueness as an absolute goal is pretty meaningless.

Almost all of us are making music because of music that inspired us. We want to sound like whatever band blew our minds as teenagers.

That doesn't mean we want to just literally be a Slipknot covers band, but it means picking up some of the elements that make them sound different and using them and also adding other stuff, and writing lyrics that are meaningful to us, and making something that is... Derivative in a good way. Music that isn't ashamed of it's inspiration, but also which stands on its own.

cip 123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
old.jpg

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
The more I think of it, while all the suggestions in the video are agreeable, they're kind of facile, too. It's like why most New Years resolutions are bullshit: "I'm going to do yoga every day!" "I'm going to learn the piano!" and the like.

Sure, these are all great things- congratulations for thinking of doing them- but chances are y'ain't doing them already due to lack of time & resources. I'm sure having the whole band in the studio together for live takes is awesome, but tracking piecemeal between members is probably easier when you have 3-4+ adults with their own lives & schedules. Nailing a live drum take that can go unmolested is probably optimal, but time is money and time correction saves both. Same with pitch correction on vocals. Being more original/innovative and featuring more thoughtful songwriting, that's subjective and likely subject to limits of the band members' abilities as it is and not easy to develop.

gnoll

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, I didn't say that music was literally the same - I said that a great deal of music; good, legit, quality music; does not sound UNIQUE. That doesn't make music bad; it's simply a truism that UNIQUENESS is next to impossible to achieve after centuries of music being created by humans. Nothing new under the sun, you know?

But that's not a problem at all. It's a good thing. Because restrictions breed creativity, and that's how we find new ways to express ourselves. Not by imagining a whole new kind of music played on spoons at 50khz and higher; no by thinking about how we can take 2 guitars, a bass and a drum kit and do something a bit different with them.

That's why I gave Meshuggah as a good example - A band that is quite conventional in terms of their line up, but they have this thing they do with time signatures which is different. Now, they still sound like a metal band. And actually unless you know about music, Meshuggah don't sound all that special. They are not utterly unique; bands like Cynic and Death have done some of that same stuff in metal; and jazz bands have done it for decades too. But they are interesting and creative.

You don't have to be legitimately unique to make amazing music, and I don't think that anyone should aspire to sound utterly dissimilar to what humans normally consider music. That way madness lies. You should strive to do your own thing, have your own sound, and feel somehow... You. But you still do that within the boundaries of being a metal band; you plug a guitar into an amp, dial up the distortion, start playing some riffs. You probably do want lyrics, you probably do want repeated sections, although they don't necessarily have to choruses. You probably do want at least some crowd pleasing breakdowns or solos or similar. Hardly unique, right? But you put your own spin on these elements and make something that is yours even though it is not unique.

That's not what's being said at all. There is lots of room for creativity, lots of room for experimentation, but when it comes to music based on around the "standard" 12 tones, it's almost impossible to do stuff that either hasn't been done, or is something people actually want to listen to, which is ultimately the metric of a successful artist: people desiring to consume your art. Doesn't mean everyone should throw in the towel or start a cover band, it just means between that and the ubiquity of people being able to record and release quality-sounding productions, people need to temper their expectations and work accordingly. I see it daily on social media where people are getting frustrated to the point of wanting to quit because they pour time into something that nobody really notices, even though they feel like they've got something good an interesting.

Maybe I just didn't understand the original point, but it came across to me as defeatist and kind of excusing not putting in effort.

Maybe it's just a semantics discussion about the word "unique".

I don't care anyway, I have given up new music, and these discussions are a waste of time.

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most of the technical suggestions are just him begging bands to not ask him to edit anything.

It's curious how some people seem to see Glenn as an important voice in regards to mixing and recording. He really is known because of his Youtube channel right? Does anyone actually know Glenn because of his mixes or work on albums?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
when it comes to music based on around the "standard" 12 tones, it's almost impossible to do stuff that either hasn't been done, or is something people actually want to listen to, which is ultimately the metric of a successful artist

That's a personal metric. If that's how you measure yourself, that's well and good, but there's infinite room for creativity and much of it exists in forms outside of the main current of what is generally deemed palatable art.

I observe a microcosm of this on the local level. Most shows here are "fun" shows with your dancy indie rock bands and the like, and a few metal shows sprinkled in, which are basically the same format for metal kids.

Art that exists outside of that isn't really welcome at those events, or at least doesn't generally fit in. I don't mean that in a negative or (necessarily) cliquey sort of way, just that a lot of experimental art also happens to be difficult or unpleasant or just downright strange, and in my experience is best served by being presented in an atmosphere that says "art is happening right now" vs "entertainment is happening right now."

I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere but I saw the dynamic of literature vs genre works applied to music at some point. Many authors write genre work, your Stephen Kings and the like. They're creating more of an established product to fill a specific demand. We could say King's brand of horror is unique unto itself, but he's still writing horror novels for horror fans. The same could be said of mystery and fantasy novels, indie rock and djent bands etc.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with creating genre work, there's a market for it to a certain extent and it's one path toward achieving one kind of "success."

Literature tries to stand on its own, to be something new and unique unto itself, which in a lot of ways means the bar is higher, or that there are more barriers to people consuming/enjoying/understanding the work. This is why a lot of forward-thinking artists are not appreciated in their time.

This also represents an entirely different, and necessarily personal, internal metric of "success."

I guess what this really comes down to is having realistic expectations and knowing what your actual goals are. I had a friend with a noise project who was regularly upset that few people ever paid any attention to their recordings. I thought their stuff was great, but it's an inherently unpleasant and confrontational artform, and so necessarily serving a very niche audience. They've found a community for themselves and are thriving as far as I can tell, but there was a period of shattering and adjustment of expectations.

Screamingdaisy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's easy to figure out:

Band A has their style. Band gets relatively known, signs to a label while they also: gets
airplay, sees higher guaranteees and endorsee deals etc.

Bands B through Z see that rise, have similar styles already, and want the same results. They follow suit to a large extent. Some get picked up and see similar results, some do not.

People will move to whats selling (pick a metric) in the hopes the current carries them too. Others will not, but that may be a much smaller percentage - Ive never looked into it.

Most unique sounding bands are either the pioneer of their (sub)genre or arent well known, maybe both.

Not sure you need a YT video to point out that the entertainment industry is an industry lol.

The trend I noticed when I was younger was that music would come in 3 waves.

Wave 1 was the band that had a unique sound.

Wave 2 were already established bands that were picked up because they already had a similar sort of sound, but still had their own thing going on since they weren’t trying to copy the band in wave 1.

Wave 3 were the bands that heard wave 1 and said “I want to sound like that”.