Sooo...what happened to Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by tommychains, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Omura

Omura SS.org Regular

I'm waitin for Washburn to do a production line of strandberg boden, not US custom shop, but Korean production or something, I would buy the hell out of those. I like steinberger, but I don't like double ball strings and their lack of gauges, and I thibk that the strandberg design is generally superior these days

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's going to be a good while before headless guitars are as viable as some are making it seem.

At this stage of the game, the hardware just isn't on par from an ease of use or function standpoint. Makers like ABM and innovators like Rick Toone have made wonderful strides, but it's still more of a gimmick than anything else.

It's 2014, you don't need to chop the head off to get light weight and balance.

3. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

Perhaps it's just better to let the brand RIP?

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gibson hates killing brands, even when it means putting them out of thier misery.

What they should really do is relinquish the name back to Ned.

5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The people posting in the "XXX is too expensive for my country" thread. Which, for Carvin, means everyone outside of the US. :wallbash:

7. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

Wish ned made guitars again, i'd gladly buy one.

8. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

If you like the HH body, which I don't particularly. I'd much rather have had the original Holdsworth sig body turned into a headless. (Yes, I know the HH is what Allan wanted. That doesn't mean I have to like it.)

I'd probably want a Steinberger for the TransTrem, which honestly is the only reason I would ever want to play a trem-equipped guitar.

9. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Last I heard, NS Designs was planning to release guitars.

10. ErkerAsylum

ErkerAsylum SS.org Regular

11. yingmin

Ugh, I winced when I saw the fretted cello. I want to own at least one or two of their instruments at some point, but fretless is the only way to go for those.

12. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

It's not like that's some abomination that NS invented: Viol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. yingmin

Of course not, but let's not kid ourselves; the market for the NS fretted cello is not viol da gamba enthusiasts.

14. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Uh… two pages with lots of things that might need an answer. However, let's skip that and start here. Yes, guys, the prototypes are currently in the works :)

[​IMG]

Bernd

15. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

That's cool. Strandberg etc. might have a hard competitor in the high end/price -league. :)

A while ago I got "caught in the hype" and really wanted to try a headless guitar.. but I really couldn't find any for the right price and specs. The Strandberg etc. are in the price segment I really can't justify spending on, and the Steinberger spirit models looked like chopped strats specwise. The korean versions looked nice, but were nowhere to be found. So that was that, and the hype passed (for me at least). I did get a reply afterwards from the Austrian dealer that they had gotten a few of the paddle ones, so they might still be making them.

But at that time I did make a rough turnover plan in my head (hey, that's what I do most of the time anyways - process development) for Gibson, how to bring back the Steinberger brand right and update it out from the 80's. Models, specs, etc. So Gibson, if you're reading this drop me a line - I'm willing to relocate if the salary/perks are right. :cool:

16. yingmin

Ugh, those one-piece saddles have GOT to go.

17. yingmin

Given all the talk about headless guitars lately, with the currently ongoing thread about the possibility/likelihood of Gibson truly reviving Steinberger as a brand, I wanted to have a little discussion particularly about one of their models: the ZT-3. It's the closest thing to an M-series that Gibson currently makes, and maybe the closest they'll ever make again.

Neck:
    Maple with graphite U-channel, phenolic fretboard
    24 frets, medium-jumbo
    14" radius
    25.5" scale

Body:
    Maple with flame maple top
    90R neck pickup, 91T bridge pickup
    Master volume (push/pull series/parallel neck), master tone (push/pull series/parallel bridge), 3-way toggle
    TransTrem 3 bridge (transposable in half-steps from D - F#)

[​IMG]

So what does anybody think about this guitar? If you've played one, what did you think? If you don't like it, what don't you like about it? What changes would Gibson need to make in order for this to be a satisfactory offering?

Personally, I've never played one, but would certainly love to try one. I like the body shape, especially since the redesigned TransTrems doesn't require the body to be cut short at the bridge. TransTrems are fun to play around with, but not something I'd use extensively, so I'd prefer if they also made an S-trem on that same platform (which would also cut down on the price of the guitar). Of course, I'd rather it have a graphite neck, since a wood neck (even one augmented with graphite) just seems sort of un-Steinberger to me.

18. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

Is that bridge lockable, as. in you can make it a fixed bridge? If not, that's the single thing I would change.

In addition, of course, that you could find it from somewhere. :)

19. yingmin

Not only is it lockable, but you can lock it in five different positions, transposing the entire guitar up or down as much as a full step.

20. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Déjà-vu… after more than a year of reading this sentence in bass forums about the Radius bass – exclusively from people who did NOT play it – let's start this same discussion over here again. And again. And maybe again ;)

I just can confirm from my own experience that it works very well on the basses (I own a CR4 and a CR5), and I've even asked Ned about the impact on alternate tunings. His response:

"Alternate tunings, within reason, should not affect intonation significantly. (String height and construction do effect intonation, but string tension is not a big factor.)"

I'll surely check the guitar as soon as possible, but I'm pretty sure Ned knows what he does and releases under his own name.

Bernd