Songs like these (Unleash the Archers)?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by narad, Sep 22, 2018.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Recently went on a search to find some new female fronted power/melodeath sort of stuff and probably the best find was the Demons of the AstroWaste album by Unleash the Archers, and these two songs in particular:

So I've listened to these tracks a million times in the past couple of weeks and I'm kind of fatiguing on it. Anyone know of any songs that are similar? Would be super appreciated. I don't know exactly what dimension I'm searching for here, as even other albums from Archers don't seem to have the power and catchiness of this album, but I'd love to find something else that did.

btw, this all started because I couldn't remember the name of this one song/band I really wanted. Female fronted, sort of symphonic power metal, I thought it was Portugeuse or Spanish, and some lyric like, "my kingdom, my kingdom..." repeating in a chorus, and the album had two songs that were part I and part II, and I think this was one of them. And I think their newer stuff they ditched the vocalist and replaced her with some guy. When I heard the name Dark Tranquility, I thought that might be it, but still haven't found the track. That's super vague but doesn't hurt to throw it out there.

AltecGreen likes this.
  2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

No clue on the band you're asking about at the end there, but this is about the only female-fronted melodeath band I can stand at all. Even then I don't jam them anymore, but they have some badass songs.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Arch Enemy
    Lacuna Coil
    Within Temptation
    Epica
    Nightwish

Those are the biggest/most popular female-fronted metal bands I can think of. Hopefully that helps with your search.

As to your first question I LOVE that album and was in the same boat as you. Basically it’s just boils down to the album being really catchy.

I think older Children of Bodom is similarly good/fun. Otherwise check out more “traditional heavy metal” bands like Ironflame or Ravage?

4. justin_time

justin_time has terrible gear

Though not female fronted, I usually end up listening to falconer(self-titled or Chapters from a Vale Forlorn) and 3 inches of blood(Advance and Vanquish) when I need to scratch that itch of similar power metal.

I'm going to see Unleash the Archers live for the first time in 2 days, i'm pretty excited about it.

BTrip likes this.
  5. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

I discovered Unleash The Archers a year ago, when I bought their latest, Apex, off iTunes. So I started looking for more new bands to get into, and found quite a few I like. If you like UTA, Kobra and the Lotus might be up your alley.
    A couple from their early albums -

I call this "going for radio play", less abrasive, but this is actually the song that got me into them -

AltecGreen likes this.
  6. narad

Just a bump with an answer: Dark Moor. I mentioned the name Dark Tranquility had rung a bell....damn, so close. Took two years to figure that out!

AxeHappy and budda like this.
  7. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Dark Moor is awesome though. They kinda changed their style recently to folk rock, but it's still good in it's own way. The original singer hasn't been in the band for ages though.

8. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Aghora is my fav gorl singer band

9. bloodocean

bloodocean SS.org Regular

Sinergy was a side project with Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala on guitar, and Alexi’s former wife on vocals.

Some of my favorite guitar work Alexi has put out. Good melodic / power vibes.

Check out their “Suicide by My Side” album if you haven’t heard their stuff.

Blytheryn and NotDonVito like this.
  10. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I was bummed out when they took the albums off Spotify. The catalog is pretty much in limbo, whoever had the albums(probably Nuclear Blast) doesn't care about the legacy anymore, and neither do any of the former members.

11. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I didn't realise they'd put another album out.

edit:

Of instrumentals.

That was a very short lived moment of excitement.

12. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Follow the Cipher, Seven Kingdoms, Ancient Bards and Helion Prime, if you have a high tolerance for cheese

AltecGreen likes this.
  13. narad

I love Sinergy but I have to do it kinda in spite of how cheesy the intros are, "You wanna fuckin' doiii, doiiiiii!" "Raaaaaaaaahhh!"

14. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

Since a lot of the usual suspects have already been mentioned, let me throw these out.

Sister Sin (they broke up a few years ago but reunited recently)

Huntress (fronted by the late Jill Janus)

Triosphere

Semblant

Since Narad lives in Japan, I have to throw out at least one Japanese band. I'll stay away from the usual suspects.

Loszeal

15. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Spotify just recommended a band to me that sounds a lot closer to Unleash the Archers than my previous suggestion, more towards the symphonic metal vibe but still fast songs, and an amazing vocalist who does opera vocals as well as cleans.