Songs for "technical exercise"?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Mvotre, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

right now I'm trying to make my own songs. BUT, we all need some exercises to get a nice, clean technique (by the way, I'm not a beginner, so I know what to expect, difficulty wise, and don't expect to master these songs in x time. As long as I'm improving slowly, it's nice).

So I decided to learn some songs that I like and look like a great way to get my chops together (specially arpeggios); Right now I got two songs.

- Blitzkrieg - Malmsteen
    - No Boundaries - Michael Angelo

learning those songs would for sure help my technique. So I will start slowly and clean, but would like to hear some opinions on other songs;

in my case, I got some 'restrictions':
    - 6 string
    - GP tabs

so, friends of SS. List some music you guys think could be a good technical workout. Maybe it can help some other people.

2. starslight

starslight Gimme that wheat!

The arps in this are so badass. I love when arpeggios are used like a riff under vocals.

3. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

when you say Arpeggios do you mean sweeps? Because might I suggest Scarified-Racer X for the ultimate arpeggio workout.

4. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

If you want exercises for sweep arpeggios, just (learn to) construct arpeggios, work out which have shared notes and make small changes each time to change one arpeggio subtly into another to keep your brain and fingers working hard and not just following patterns mindlessly. You'll probably come up with some more cool stuff that way, which you'd spend ages looking for. Save time and create your own perfect cool stuff.

5. WoodisWheretheMusicis

WoodisWheretheMusicis Active Member

Transcend by Polyphia. Tempting Time by Animals as Leaders. Gradus by Vitalism. Have a go at one of those three!

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

"Technical Difficulties" by Racer X. I jokingly think of it as "the alternate picking song."

7. TheFranMan

TheFranMan SS.org Regular

Any Jason Becker material is great for working on technique, as is Paul Gilbert as mentioned above. For technical rhythm (and solo actually), Necrophagist is great. Not the biggest fan of most of their music, but dude's got some chops.

8. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

Emperor (especially the early stuff) makes for a great right hand workout