Song recommendations for unique hooks/choruses

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Legion, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Hi all.

Anyone know any songs that have choruses and/or hooks that are...well, something other than the Iron Maiden chords? Like major IV V vi or some variation thereof. Getting tired of that sort of shit. An example of an out of left field chorus would be In Virtue's "Where The Edges Meet". Massive sounding, hooky as fuck, but that lydian sounding major IV trick is absent.

Shoot your recommendations my way! Thank you!

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

My suggestion would be to look outside metal and related genres. That stuff is usually very IV V vi heavy and metal musicians tend to not be harmonic geniuses.

Or are you only looking for stuff with distorted guitars?

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  3. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Yea I am looking for stuff with distorted guitars preferably, but it's not an absolute requirement. What recommendations do you have outside of metal?

4. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hm I don't know... could be anything I guess, just avoid everything to do with power metal, melodic dm, melodic metalcore etc. as well as modern pop and rock.

Anything aeolian is likely to be pretty IV V vi-ish.

Genres tend to end up with their own harmonic blueprints. Kinda funny how that is, but for metal the Maiden chords are that exactly. I've struggled with that when writing because it does feel like writing the same thing over and over but do something else and it just sounds so... wrong...

Tricky question.

5. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

just listen to Shudder To Think.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  6. Amer Alameddine

Amer Alameddine SS.org Regular

I do quite like this one for the chorus.

7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Definitely second the advice to look outside of metal genres. It's always good to broaden your horizons, even if it's just actively listening to radio pop you'd normally turn off/tune out. Broadly speaking, I would guess that a lot of the bands who have been/will be recommended here have much more diverse influences than the small circle of whatever genre/scene/subculture they fall into, and that is why their songs tend to be unique within that circle.

To directly address the OP, I give you Built to Spill. Pretty much all of their albums have lots of non-traditional, incredibly hooky song structures. Perfect From Now On and You In Reverse are my favorite albums of theirs, but you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one.

This is a really cool documentary about "outsider music," may also contain some food for thought.