Solid Go to Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by CaptainD00M, May 27, 2015.

1. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Hey guys (and girls as I'm told there are women who come on this forum… brave souls ;) ), I've spent the last couple weeks trawling the internet and looking at reviews. To be frank I've probably looked at too many which is why I have to post this but here goes:

I'm looking for a solid go to delay pedal for my rig that can at least do a 600ms delay and maybe go up into space rock territory. I'm not worried about analogue or digital. Other ideal features is: ease of use, clarity and preferably not a boutique-needsabankloan type deal.

It will be used in studio and live, but probably more live as I have delay patches I used for recording.

Looking forward to your replies.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm a big fan of the Digitech delays. The Digidelay if you're on a budget, or the Hardwire if you got the cash.

They're digital (I believe in digital mode they can go up to 4 seconds), but they have analog emultation modes that have repeats longer than most analog units. Unfortunately I sold my Digidelay so I can't say how long it is, but it was 2 - 3x longer than my 600ms Danelectro delay.

Then there's also the TC units. There's the Flahsback (and it's 250 variants :lol: ), as well as the Nova delay. The consensus seems to point more towards the Flahback being better, though. Better sounding and more user-friendky

All these can be found for under 200 smackers. They're also easy-to-use. Turn the knobs, flip some switches, and then stomp to turn on. :D

3. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I've heard good things about the Flashback.

As for a few knobs, thats key. I remember Guthrie Govan saying that he was normal 'scared of anything that had that many knobs' and that guitarists were a superstitious lot and didn't like things with too many controls. I identify with this :lol:

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well the good news is that all 3 of those delays, save foir the Nova, all have 3 control knobs, and a mode selector knob. The Flashback also has a switch to fine-tune the repeats with eighth notes and whatnot. I think you'd be fine with all 3.

They all have plenty of delay length as well. The Digidelay can go up to 4 seconds, the Flashback can go up to 6 seconds, and the Hardwire can go up to 8 seconds.

5. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Hard to go wrong with a Boss DD7. Couple delay modes (mod, reverse, etc.), great delay times (up to like 6.5 seconds iirc). Plus you can use it as a looper, run it in stereo, and attach an expression pedal if you want to get creative.

6. Ænima

Ænima SS.org Regular

^ Boss DD-7, rock solid, look no further

7. cult

cult SS.org Regular

You should try a Boss DD20.
    Many parameters are hidden in menus, but it's really easy to use on stage!

Also: it has a display and is programmable.
    Can be found dirt cheap.

8. Ibycan7

Ibycan7 SS.org Regular

It depends on the application but for me the Flashback X4 and the MXR Carbon Copy. I can get as crazy as I want.

9. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Thanks guys.

Looks like we are down to two contenders, the Flashback and the DD-7. Both about the same price here in Europe.

I guess if I can do one a shoot out might be best, but that would assume that the one music shop we have here in town has both … :ugh:

10. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Keeley Modded Boss DD-3.

Got mine used for half the retail about 4 or 5 years ago, i can't remember. Its digital, but has two 'analogue softening' modes. I love it, it has just the delay time i need, it also has just the right amount other functions. I can't remember exactly what mine is set like as i haven't changed the settings in about 2 or more years. The TRS cable connect is great, as it acts as a effects loop in your delay pedal, and if you add a delay pedal into your delay, it really messes things up in a creative way.

However, i am in the market for a TC Electronics Nova Delay as for my rack i need more functions and flexibility. But i am keeping my Keeley DD-3 as i am going to make a small Pedaltrain pedalboard for when i don't need my full rack functions.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Boss DD20 or TC Flashback/x4 version. The EHX Memory Boy Deluxe would also work well for space rock etc.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

Would be somewhat surprising if they didn't. The DD7 is one of Boss' most popular pedals, and TC is starting to get up there with Boss in popularity.

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

DD7 and Digidelay! The Digidelay has one of the best mod delay sounds out there.

14. 155

155 SS.org Regular

what are you going for ?? carbon copy is great,,,,analog

15. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

Anything strymon owns all.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

They're also uber-boutique pedals thst owns bank accounts, which are what the OP doesn't want. :lol:

Ether Boss or TC Electronic stuff is sufficient. Depending on whether he likes it small and simple or want big and can store presets, both have something to offer well at an affordable price.

Also add the Vox Time Machine to the mix. It's both analog and digital options at a simple box.

17. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Jazz, I would have said this with relative certainty before I moved to the north of Holland. Now I'm not so sure, this is a strange country and a stranger province.

I'm glad people still read the OP before they comment :D

I knew someone would rave about Strymon, sure from what I've seen they are great but they cost bucks.

Smaller (i.e. standard pedal size) and simpler is good for me. 4 knobs is probably about my limit and no I'm not looking for presets.

As for the carbon copy, its cool but it only goes up to 600ms, I want something that can go further should I feel the need mid gig to go all Ozric Tentacles 'We're going into orbit here!'.

Thanks dudes!