Soldering may save your life...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by alvo, Feb 5, 2015.

1. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

Okay it might not save your life, but it'll save you (or someone else) some time.

I recently picked up a nice guitar from the sale forum here and when I received it the bridge pickup was not working properly. It would cut out and so I would have to shake the guitar to get the wires (I strongly assumed at that point it was the wires) in their proper position. Being the tinkering person I was I unscrewed the back plate to find this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:wallbash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was surprised to find the wiring lacked any solder and the ground wires were...simply twisted together. This was quite a red flag and I knew I was gonna have to rewire this to avoid loss of playing time.

So out this went
    [​IMG]
    and in goes this stuff
    [​IMG]
    I bought the guitar knowing it had a non-working neck pickup, so I did my best to rectify that, but no good came out of the work. I'll have to read up more on how four conductor cable humbucker works, so hopefully I'll win out on my purchase. So after about 40 minutes I'm left with this solid working wiring job
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the best job, but not the worst.

Please guys, if you're gonna make some DIY mods to your guitar, have the proper tools and know/read up on the procedures. Removing and wiring pickups/pots is fairly easy. :squint:

If not, consult your local guitar tech. And if your tech blows :nono:, you're better off having the knowledge to properly wire yourself.

Demiurge likes this.
  2. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Haha, was that toilet paper insulation or white material?

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So is everything fixed? And did the neck pickup end up working?

4. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

Just take your time.
    Look up the wiring diagram and go at it slowly.

Its not hard to do....

5. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Believe me, I have seen worse.

I had one used guitar which had some unmeltable solder (I honestly think it was plumbers solder). I ruined a tip trying, but had the iron up so hot, it would not melt. Not that it mattered, whoever soldered it up (badly I might add) wired it totally incorrectly and the pots were already burned. I just wanted to see if I could salvage the 3 way switch. I couldn't.

But I did get one guitar in with chewing gum holding the ground wires to the back of the pot. That was grim and I was amazed it actually stuck fast to make the connection.

I know a wiring job seems like an unnecessary expenditure but blimey... if you really do suck, get a tech to do it for you!

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Much better!

I can't believe that anyone would expect twisting the wires together would hold permanently. My wife bought a used Ibanez bass on eBay once that had the same kind of nonsense going on with connections twisted together with no solder. The crazy thing to me was that the only indication that something was wrong was the 5-6 day battery life, playing or not. Turned out that the wiring was not only shoddy, but plain old wrong.

7. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

But at least when you do rewire it, you know that it's done right!

8. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

For a second I thought that was a new rival to EMGs solderless pickup system. :lol:

9. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

I believe it was athletic tape.

Everything is fixed except the neck pickup. I was told it was kaput when I got bought it. I tried rewiring the hot and ground wires with no luck, so it could be anything with that pickup. Gonna have to remove the tape and see if all the windings are intact.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Was this 7stringsOfHate's guitar? It looks like it, but he seems like someone who wouldn't have done this weird solderless wire twisting. Maybe he bought it used from someone who did that? Or got totally screwed by a tech. :lol:

11. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

It was indeed his. I'm fairly certain he got the guitar new with the Carvin A80's. According to his NGD thread "[he] installed the d-activator set in there" after taking pictures. So I don't know :scratch:. It is what it is and we make do. After dancing around with a fanned Regius 8 and a M80M, I'm just happy to settle down with another DC800. I really regret selling my old brown one.

12. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Jebus....what a mess that was! Good think you were able to fix it properly.

Nicely done!

13. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Member

Was that speaker wire the former owner used?

14. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

It was indeed. Technically, with that kind of wire, it'll still function and it did.