Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Oh wow. I guess it's hard tell how it will ultimately turn out or something.

2. zenonshandro

zenonshandro SS.org Regular

Lefties are to Righties what musicians are to the rest of the world.

I wanted to say 'Ah, man that's nothing, embrace its unique qualities', but the more I look at it, the more I could understand you not accepting it.

3. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

That’s not all, folks! As I was fiddling with it I noticed this sound coming from the bridge cavity. There’s something loose in there, this doesn’t happen with my other Evertune guitar.

I guess this seals the guitar going back. (Open video clip to unmute)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    zenonshandro likes this.
  4. Ola Englund

Ola Englund SS.org Regular

I can also see that people might be thrown off by that look, that's the hard thing about open pore is that there is so many variables of different looks, some like a certain grain, some like a super pronounced one. Very selective, but with that said I totally understand if you don't like that one in particular.

Regarding what makes a sound in the cavity did you try and open it up and check what it is?

Anycase send an email through the website!

Zhysick, JimF, MAJ Meadows SF and 4 others like this.
  5. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

Thanks for chiming in, Ola!

Like I said I totally get that wood is an organic material and imperfections are a part of it. I would just prefer mine to look a bit more... balanced.

Took the back plate off and kept turning the guitar but couldn’t see anything moving while it still made the sound. Didn’t want to start disassembling the bridge to see better.

Meanwhile, my S1.6PB is perfect :)

I’ll shoot an email to you guys.

JimF likes this.
  6. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

Just shipped the guitar back.

Does anybody have or know of any additional pictures of a solar guitar with flame black matte finish? I’d love to see how the finish looks outside studio lighting and how subtle or visible the flame on the veneer is.

7. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Hey man. Try to ask on Modern Guitarist and/or Music Discussion Group on FB.

Soulmate likes this.
  8. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Maybe Instagram?

Soulmate likes this.
  9. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

Thanks, found some cool ones of the baritone version!

I think I’m gonna go with the A1.6FB, they have that in stock and even though I kind of prefer solid color tops I love how the finish on the FB is translucent on the back too. Top veneer seems subtle enough, I have the PB one for showing off.

10. lumena

lumena catskill mountains

Just a question for anyone who has a solar A1.6 with Evertune.
    What is the distance between the edge of the Evertune and the back of the bridge humbucker. I am thinking of getting an A1.6 and having the Roland GK3 mounted on it if there is enough space. No cracks please sometimes I use the guitar synth for keyboard parts if there is need.
    thanks

11. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

On my S series 5mm to the edge of the pickup cavity, about 8mm to the pickup itself.

12. lumena

lumena catskill mountains

Thanks for taking the time to measure.
    The Roland GK3 is 7.8 mm so just barely.

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

No, not a dumbass at all... I would've sent it back too. That looks plain odd and I too would never get over it. LOL.

Rev.

Merrekof likes this.
  14. Ola Englund

Ola Englund SS.org Regular

Hey man send me a PM and I’ll send you some FBB pics. I can’t seem to figure out posting pictures here from my phone

zenonshandro likes this.
  15. Soulmate

Soulmate SS.org Regular

It’s fine, I actually ordered an A1.6FB the same day I shipped the other one back. Should be here in Finland on Monday.

I’ll post pics of mine here when I get it.

16. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

Have you tried to pry the locking pin back down? It's such an easy fix.

zenonshandro likes this.
  17. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I received my V2.6 this week, and while I love the guitar, I have a little problem with it. But first let me tell you it looks awesome, and it is soooo comfortable to play seated.

Anyway, I have changed the strings, and the tuning (C# standard using EB 11-54 set, with 2 of the strings replaced to keep the tension eaven). Set it up as I like and it turns out I was barely able to set the length of the third string. The saddle in the bridge just ran out of space, I can't move it any further. As I said, it is barely correct. With my hearing I don't hear anything bad even with hi-gain distortion, but I think in reality it would need to be moved tiny bit more.

Do you have any suggestion what could I do? I guess tuning it up to D standard and using thinner strings is one way to go, but the point was to have this in C#. I was thinking about turning the saddle the other way around (they are not symmetrical, so the edge maybe would move a bit), but I don't think they can be taken out and put back in. So I don't know. Changing the brige? Thats not a good start for a new guitar.

18. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Sorry... are you trying to intonate or set the string height?

19. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Intonate, that's the English word!

I should move the saddle even more backwards (further away from the headstock) to have the note in tune on 12th fret, but I have ran out of space for the saddle.

20. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

That sounds... odd...

Did you recently change strings and if so, have they stretched out and settled? Another thing to consider is that the string could be getting caught at the nut. If that's the case, I would loosen the string to the point where you could unseat it from the nut, grab a pencil and just add some graphite into the slot (or colouring in the slot with the pencil if that makes more sense). It sounds more like you've over corrected the intonation and need to just reset the saddle closer to the string before it, re-tune and try again.

Also keep in mind that adjusting the saddle will also adjust the tuning so you have get it balanced between turning the tuning peg and moving the saddle. Don't just move one or the other, but both in small increments.