Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Oops, sorry. Sometimes dates aren't too accurate, and it would be better to ask by e-mail for example. Couple of times I ordered from Thomann products were awailable much more earlier than it was informed, and other of them was a Solar A2.6.

phantom81 and Mraz like this.
  2. phantom81

phantom81 SS.org Regular

So should I just order it from Solar official website? I just got a message that they have some in stock right now and would be able to ship it this week. But wouldn't it be, idk, safer, to order it from retail store?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I don't see any risks in it, since you're in EU. Thomann has warranty of 3 years, and Solar gives 2 years when bought directly. Almost same warranty and purchasing terms either way.
    https://www.solar-guitars.com/warranty-terms/
    https://www.solar-guitars.com/right-of-withdrawal/

phantom81 likes this.
  4. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Ordered my A2.7FR LN last week.

It arrived at my doorstep (Canada), yesterday. Wow !! I expected months of waiting (and that would have been fine).

Played with it yesterday evening and it played/sounded great.

It passed my visual inspection test: pristine condition, neck straight, FR works and is set up properly.

Strings were oxidized, but who cares.

I sent it to my luthier for a more in depth checkup. I'll do a NGD video (here, YT, IG) when I have a bit more time.

If all orders are fulfilled like that, then I must say you're managing one kickass company Ola ! Congrats !

5. GuitarMegaFan

GuitarMegaFan SS.org Regular

Hello!
    Come listen and watch a Solar guitar in a genre that is NOT made for! ^^

Surveyor 777, Viginez and Bdtunn like this.
  6. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Finally had a minute to do a video of my new A2.7 FR LN.

Tone: Plini Artchetype.

In the wake of all the recent fakery stuff, full disclosure: live take DAW audio, no EQ, no comping, no edits, etc..

I put the raw audio from my desk mic on my youtube channel for those who want to hear pick sounds :).

Link to the NGD thread for further discussion: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-solar-a2-7-fr-ln.339247/

7. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

@Ola Englund Just a few questions, you don't need to answer.

1) Is the weathered finish Evertune a permanent feature now, or just featuring on these current runs?
    2) Is the plan to keep offering small runs of new and interesting combinations of colours and specs, or would you say you'll loop back around and start doing some of the early specs & finishes again? i.e. the S1.6ETQ in gloss blue, A1.6ET in all black. Just wondering whether to keep waiting for the ultimate spec to be launched or choose one of the existing ones.
    3) Are there any plans to offer 3rd party finance options via the website? Or would we be better off buying through an agent such as Thomann?
    4) Keep it up! You are literally the only company I feel is entirely for the end user, and not the board of directors. Hero status.

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

9. ghostOG

ghostOG SS.org Regular

I have both, the special on my LTD doesn't stay in tune if I use it, the dive bar screws on and has slop, and it makes metallic twangy noises sometimes that I haven't been able to track down (I have foam behind the springs). From my understanding the design/patent is just licensed out to some sweat shop in a 3rd world country that manufactures the "copy" trem. You can have QC issues like where the bridge pivots on the studs, not being fine/sharp enough so it returns to the exact same center every time.

On my real FR, it stays in tune better, the dive bar presses in and has no play and has a retaining screw to adjust retension, and it makes no metallic twangy noises.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The FR Special is made in South Korea by Sung Il, who also makes the 1000 series FRs and tons of other hardware from Tone Pros and Wilkinson.

The differences between the Special and 1000 are material and tolerances of certain components.

Speaking from experience, replace the arm holder, fine tuners, and string lock bolts with Schaller equivalents (~$30 altogether) and use threadlocker on the plate/block bolts. Much, much better in feel and longevity afterwards. Beat the tar out of it and then drop in a Gotoh 1996T for $120 in a few years.

11. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

The trem to make me hate trems;I do want to get another guitar with a trem just to dip my toes in again.

12. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Go with an Edge from Ibanez, by far the best trems if you were turned off by the Special. If you aren't a fan of Ibanez guitars, give a normal Floyd a try. I guarantee you'll change your mind on Floyds.

Merrekof and JimF like this.
  13. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

So what's the verdict on the value of Solar guitars? Are they worth the price?
    I'd like to try Evertune so it would be a 1.0 series. Just over 1k €. What about those 600-700€ ones? Would I want to change tuners or other hardware?
    It's not like I could try before I buy but I could send it back if I choose such a dealer.

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang, no trems on that V or explorer. I want a 7 or 8 V with a Floyd.

15. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

This.

I was a hardcore trem hater after several hardtails just required less maintenence and found my collection one day was trem-less and stayed that way for numerous years. Then my first foray into a decent 7 string (after a Jackson JS32 to make sure I liked them) was an Ibanez Prestige with an Edge trem, leading to me buying a 6 string equivalent for my main guitar.
    A life changing trem :rofl:

I've been keeping an eye on classifieds & eBay and there's very few for sale, which leads me to think that they're either surpassing people's expectations and they want to keep them, or when they do come up for sale they move very quickly.
    Either way I don't expect you to have an issue. I cant speak from experience but apparently the QC is what makes them, and they're supposed to be the best guitars out of that factory.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That or a Gotoh GE1996T. It's like 3x cheaper than an aftermarket Edge, and it's made by Gotoh, who also makes the Edge.

aesthyrian and JimF like this.
  17. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I really want that E2.7
    I’m really liking explorer shapes as of late.

18. binz

binz SS.org Regular

God damn I told myself after missing the white 2.7 last year I'd get one as soon as its back. And now it even has a maple fretboard. GOD DAMN! I hope this doesnt get sold out before my bank account fills up a little (I recently moved)

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That white seven is really sharp! Especially nice for he price.