Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jbllarsen

jbllarsen SS.org Regular

It´s basically a Duncan Designed Custom 5....

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

I've been perusing this forum for years and only got around to making an account. I've simply not felt the need to make one until now.

I have to hand to to Ola over the sheer quality of the guitars he offers at any price, let alone for the money.

I replaced the 81/85 set in the Jensen with a set of 57/66's and replaced the Duncan Solars with D-Activators in the poplar burl 7. The D-activators are awesome. So balanced and articulate. The Solar's weren't bad pickups as they were very versatile but I thought they sounded a little too dark and a bit weak in output.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Woocifer

Woocifer SS.org Regular

Curious why I haven't seen ANY reviews for the Solar e1.7 fbb... like not ONE since they were sold out and then recouped their stock.

Anyone have one of these beasts? Every other guitar has a review...why not this one? They hype die down?

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

At the end of the day, it's the same as any other .7 model at Solar just with a different body shape.

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Has he done a 26.5 6 string? Just curious.

6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Yes, the baritone models

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. Decapitated

Decapitated Loser

8. T00DEEPBLUE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I find it weird (and pretty awesome) how the Floyd version is exactly the same price as the one with the Hipshot. Despite the Floyd being much more expensive to the manufacturer in parts and to rout.

Can it be mentioned for one moment just how crazy low a price 1000 euros is, for a neck through guitar with a popular burl top, binding, Floyd 1000 with a big block, stainless steel frets, locking tuners, the whole shebang?

9. T00DEEPBLUE

Repost

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dem fret ends doe

Albake21 likes this.
  10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Damn so close! I've been wanting one of those green burls but with a floyd. Super glad Ola got rid of the dots.

11. T00DEEPBLUE

[​IMG]

o_O

Must be what Ola is calling the new single cuts now.

G for Gibson.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

13. T00DEEPBLUE

[​IMG]

Shits happening. Nothing is populated in the Type G tab yet though. Too bad that the singlecut is so ugly. Sorry Ola.

14. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

kind of surprised he hasn't configured a baritone 7 string with hipshot and SS frets. Seems like that configuration would be very popular. I'd certainly buy one.

15. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I will be so happy when burl gets put on the endangered list.

16. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Actually... the Hipshot hardware costs more.

The 1000 is Korean, not German. It's essentially yet another Floyd Special. They tested the waters a
    with selling it OFR prices *retail*, probably feeling out the market anout dropping the made in Germany originals entirely.... but wholesale, they're clearly selling it to Floyd Special-type customers at Floyd Special-level prices (~$50/unit)

17. T00DEEPBLUE

I suggest that you do more research on the subject. A Floyd Rose 1000 is not 'yet another Floyd Special'.

The baseplate is made from C45 high carbon steel. The same grade of steel that's used on the German OFR's. The baseplates on the specials are only heat treated at the knife edges while the rest of the plate is just regular mild steel. The saddles on the FR1000 are made from the same grade of steel too. Unlike the Special, which is made from pot metal. The block on the FR1000 is made from brass. The Special again uses pot metal.

A Hipshot bridge is a piece of cast aluminium with half a dozen of pieces of steel used for each saddle. Much cheaper to manufacture such a simple bridge design vs. a Floyd Rose 1000. And if you're using wholesale prices as the basis for your argument, you've neglected to consider what kind of wholesale discount that Hipshot gives to manufacturers too.

aesthyrian, setsuna7 and Matt08642 like this.
  18. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

What's the difference between S and A series? I know the decimal says how many strings but what's 1. and 2. ?

19. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Yeah ok and Ping or Jin Ho tuners are essentially the same exact thing, too

Except old Gotoh Japans from the 70s and 80s always still work... old Schallers, usually also. much younger Koreans, not so much

Discount hardware is the whole reason Hipshot, Schaller and their ilk can charge 3-digit prices for stuff

20. T00DEEPBLUE

The S's have binding around the body and headstock and they tend to have more exotic finishes. While the A's have simpler finishes and no binding but have heavily carved out cutaway scoops on the front. That's it.

The first number designates the spec level. Stainless steel frets, luminlays, Evertune bridges, Floyds, locking tuners etc. are reserved for the 1.x's. while the 2.x's are somewhat more generic.
    You're misunderstanding the point.

If someone has broken a 1000 bridge, they would've broken a German OFR under the same circumstances too. The metallurgy of both bridges are exactly the same.
    Why haven't you provided any factual statistics on the wholesale prices that all these brands sell to manufacturers to yet? Or are you just pulling all these numbers out of your ass like you did when you claimed that the 1000 and the Special are the same bridge?

Matt08642 and Tisca like this.