Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Reaction score
YES! I remember when people poopoo’d TOMs when everyone wanted a Hipshot or whatever else. When I bought my first KxK I was not thrilled it had one... until I played it. Recessed TOM is the most comfortable bridge period.

I despise Fishmans. Too honky for me. They need to go back to EMGs or mix it up a little at least. I get their benefit, but the tone just grates my ears. The most recent KsE live album is a great example of the cocked-wah honk.
I feel like we've entered the age of way too much mids. It's only a matter of time before we push through and go back to the 10-0-10 eq formula. Everything is a cycle.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hell if I know..but I'm starting to see more and more people complain about mid abuse on albums and in live tones so I think we're gonna start seeing the scooped mids reaction pretty soon
People took the "guitars are a midrange instrument" advice too seriously.
"But I cut through the mix" yeah and now you sound like a 1940's radio commercial.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always found the sharp edge of the saddle digs into the edge of my hand (karate chop area)

You know you gan file the edges of the saddles and make them rounder so it feels nice on your hand, right?

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
your front yard, staring into your window
When does the HM2 10-10-10 phase start again?
I never left it. Frankly I almost always have a tad amount of HM-2 within every signal chain I run for metal. THAT helps cut through any mix (if it’s balanced well), plus I always get my mids from the amp and pedals. Mid heavy pickups just sound too nasally, chirpy, or honky. With this Solar X, I’ll be swapping to a Het Set & playing both mid scooped & HM-2 glory until my neighbors call the cops!
Even as a fellow ToM defender, it sucks when you have to do this to gold or black ToMs because it ruins the finish.
The TOMs on KxKs are already rounded. Probably have different saddles than stock. Conversely, I’ve had sharp saddles in Hipshots that needed replacing.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I feel like we've entered the age of way too much mids.
"But I cut through the mix" yeah and now you sound like a 1940's radio commercial.
If I could like these posts a thousand times over, I would. I’ve said similar many, many times.

sylcfh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

That's an insult to the artists and producers from the 1940's. No way was that music anywhere near as compressed as the garbage you hear today. There's been literally zero dynamics in recorded metal tone for the last 15+ years.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And solar pretty much just built the perfect guitar. There's a 7 with the same specs as well. I love white with roasted maple. I think this is their first set neck guitar. interesting choice for the scale length. It's 24.75 on the high strings to a 26 inch on the low strings for the 6 string. The 7 is a bit more traditional, 25.5 to 27 inch on the fan.
Capture.PNG

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And solar pretty much just built the perfect guitar. There's a 7 with the same specs as well. I love white with roasted maple. I think this is their first set neck guitar. interesting choice for the scale length. It's 24.75 on the high strings to a 26 inch on the low strings for the 6 string. The 7 is a bit more traditional, 25.5 to 27 inch on the fan.
View attachment 109723
That is sexy. Bet the neck is super stable!

danbox

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is the pink one with a rosewood neck on todays Sunday with Ola new or did I miss something ?
It’s the above white model, just with the pink/purple office lights making it look pink. Unless there was another guitar I didn’t see

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 109723

Hate the finish and color, love the specs.