Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

It took a couple days to get used to, that's for sure. My right under-titty was achin' from the edge pressing into my chest, I'm glad that went away after a couple days. Figuring out where to mute with the Evertune was actually kind of fun, you've got a lot more room to to move around in that area and fine tune your chugs!

2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

Never heard of him before, got gotamn! His right hand technique when he’s tremolo picking is flawless, looks like he’s miming along. Though he isn’t.

sym30l1c likes this.
  3. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

What's the consensus on Solar quality now? The last few months I've seen a lot of reports of inconsistent quality.

I'm looking for a new 7 string, since the fretwork on my Schecter is pretty disappointing, and I'm trying to figure out if solar is worth my money.

4. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Mine was built this year and is spot on. Prefect frets, great finish (some imperfections but with the matte black is really really really hard to find the two minor spots... actually there are days I can't find them) and the setup out of the box was good enough to play without even needing to do it yourself except you are picky with setup and want "this action and this pickup height" like myself so I did it anyways, but I could have gone to a gig without even tuning it (Evertune).

Can't complain, specially for the price since in Europe a Solar with Evertune is about 400€ cheaper (or more) than a Schecter or LTD with Evertune.

LordHar and Xaeldaren like this.
  5. flv75

flv75 SS.org Regular

hi guys, bought my first Solar a couple of weeks ago, a red v2.6.
    The logo is peeling but the fretboard seems ok, with no crack.
    The guitar looks great and is very playable. The neck is cool, Duncan Solar pickups are ok but not so hot to play extreme metal and it's strange for an instrument made to do it.
    The worst thing about this guitar is the fucking input jack. I can't understand why they chose this uncomfortable position :(
    It's a good guitar for the price, better than the indo King V pro I tried

SubsonicDoom99 and Zhysick like this.
  6. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Why would you buy a new guitar though? Take the Schecter to a tech for a fret level, problem solved.

Estilo and Mathemagician like this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just checking the thread now for updates on that rumor of a model “X”. Curious to see if there is another Xiphos competitor.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Hey hey HEY. Don’t go attacking our religion ‘round here.

9. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

I'd love to! There's an amazing luthier in Dublin who did amazing work on two of my other guitars, but he's still closed because of Covid, and I haven't been able to find anyone else I'd trust with my money.

10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Watch his pick angle and how he changes it to a much sharper angle than when he's down picking. People disagree with changing angle while playing but thats they key to tremolo picking. His consistency is from a lot of hard work.

11. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Dolmen Guitars in Limerick is a great shout. The guy will make you absolutely anything for a reasonable price and the guitars are top notch.

Xaeldaren likes this.
  12. evade

evade enthusiast

obligatory - these are garbage guitars with quality control issues and horrible customer support

H I G H W I N D likes this.
  13. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

I wanted to like the Duncan Solar pickups but they are just kinda "meh". Right now I've got a Duncan Custom SH-5 and a 59 in my Solar and the tone difference is night and day.
    Other than that, thankfully I have had no issues with the guitar's construction other than that I decided to replace the pickup selector switch, it felt cheap to me and I knew I'd wear it out sooner than later so I took it out and put a better one in. Otherwise it feels and plays great.

xzyryabx, LordHar, flv75 and 2 others like this.
  14. H I G H W I N D

H I G H W I N D Direwolf is yes

woke take, they belong to the silly guitar thread.

Spicypickles likes this.
  15. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I assumed up front I was going to swap mine out for the Fishman Devin Townsend's, as I've got those in another guitar and really dig them. But once I plugged in the Solar, I was pretty stoked. They've got a bit more mids than I was expecting, but it lends itself to cleaning up palm mutes when you're doing the tight chugging stuff. Obviously, YMMV depending on what the rest of your rig is doing, but I think I'm going to stick with these.

Zhysick and SubsonicDoom99 like this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Kinda surprised, since I thought the Solars and Customs were tweaked to be similar. What did you find better about the SH-5?

Ataraxia2320 and SubsonicDoom99 like this.
  17. SubsonicDoom99

I know a few friends who have Solar guitars and just love the Duncan Solars, so you're definitely not alone. I've heard the Solar pickups when others play with them and they sound great to me. For me they just seemed to lack something. I tried raising/lowering the height etc. and just wasn't finding myself enjoying the tone as much as I hoped. Definitely not bad by any means, just not for me. Then again, sometimes with these "licensed" SD pickups the quality can be a bit inconsistent, I know I've had mixed results over the years with the Ducan Designed stuff (some were fabulous and others definitely not). That's cool that they seemed to work for you though!

RevDrucifer likes this.
  18. SubsonicDoom99

I know, I was quite surprised myself as one of the things that initially appealed to me about the Duncan Solar pickups was that they were supposed to be modeled after the SH-5, which is one of my favorite pickups, so I thought it'd be a winner for me. Again, as I said in the other reply I posted above, it's not that they're horrible or anything they just seem to lack something. When I put the SH-5 in there it felt like there was a noticeable bump in the upper-mids, and the 59 neck pickup just has a more livey sound especially when playing clean compared to the Solar neck pickup. I actually intend on putting the Solar pickups into a different guitar at some point just to give them another shot and see what I think of them in a completely different guitar. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had my mind changed on a set I didn't like initially in one guitar but was much better in the next. We'll see!

19. Kellz

Kellz SS.org Regular

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I noticed they're starting to put Fluences on a lot of non sig guitars. Wonder what the deal is there? Just to make you feel like you're getting your money's worth?