Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Hey look! One more of us!
    Dozens I tell you :)

2. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

Heh yeah. I'm just not sure it makes sense for almost every brand to make all their multiscale 7s 25.5-27 when in at least some cases those same brands make all their straight scale 7s at 26.5.

Perhaps they're assuming that if you want a multiscale it means you're tuning especially low? I guess we might have to wait for that niche to get saturated and then hope somebody other than strandberg decides to throw us G#+ normies a bone.

Still think it would have made more sense for Solar to try to find a different niche, given that 25.5-27 is already covered by Ibanez, LTD, Schecter, Kiesel, Mayones, Aristides, Agile, Legator, et al. Maybe Solar uses the same factory as some of these other brands and are therefore locked into the same scale lengths? The 24.75-26 of the 6 would seem to indicate otherwise. Shrug.

3. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

I mean, I play my ormsby fanfret in b standard/drop a with regular slinkys. You don't have to tune super low on baritone lengths, you can just appreciate the added tension that comes with the scale length.

Crungy and I play music like this.
  4. danbox

danbox SS.org Regular

I get what you are saying, but I hate the Ltd/esp multiscale headstocks, and am very meh with schecters (and their finishes)

I have a super crappy Harley Benton 25.5-27 that I got to see how multiscale is and am looking into more of a better one. Outside of paying $2k+ for a kiesel or other semi custom, this new solar is the first that I like aesthetically. Also wish more companies would do these natural wood finishes and reverse headstocks!

all this being said a 24.75-something else 7 string would have been awesome for standard, half step down stuff

Perge likes this.
  5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I play drop a on my 27" 7, no idea why you would want anything shorter

6. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Maybe slightly OT, but ET could be made as „single rail” concept. That way they could expand beyond scales and number of strings. I know it is difficult but not impossible.

Zhysick likes this.
  7. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

I genuinely don't think it'd be all that difficult seeing as they're all individual saddle springs anyways, just have to be oriented in a slant. Really surprised we havent seen a multiscale design yet.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

https://www.ormsbyguitars.com/gti/

Ormsby is doing one, but it looks like they just shortened the fan and put the parallel at the bridge.

9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

That would probably be good enough for me. I don't know what's the fan on those but 25" to 25.5" should be pretty playable and good enough for me.

10. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

This is close.

https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop1840/DS07032706/

11. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Dean makes some 6, 7, and 8 strings with first fret perpendicular, 25.5" to 27" scale.

Really, the difference between 26.5" and 27" is extremely minimal. It's only a <2% difference, and spread across the first five frets you're only going to see <.15" (under 4mm) distance increase.

To each their own, but I wouldn't immediately rule out something based on such a minuscule difference. Especially considering that doesn't factor in stuff like adjusted intonation.

I think folks greatly exaggerate the "problem" of having the 12th fret perpendicular, especially on fairly small <1.5" fans. There's some adjustment, yes, but it's not unplayable, or even that uncomfortable once muscle memory kicks in and your hand accounts for the slightly modified fingering.

Zhysick and Hollowway like this.
  13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Not Solar related, but I just received a duplicate package for Ola's new record. I got the ultimate bundle with the tab book and all that, and they accidentally sent me two. Figured I'd post it in here since you guys are likely fans- does anyone want it? If you'll cover shipping I'd be happy to send you the whole thing. Would be sent from central California, send me a ping.
    --
    Now that I'm here though, boy am I glad I didn't finally impulse buy that cheap neon yellow A.6 that popped up like a week ago. Multiscale would be sweeeeet. I will regret not having that neon yellow finish though...

14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Aaaaaand it's gone. Cheers guys.

TheBloodstained and Warmart like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Ola took a look at the new Ibanez Q headless series in one of his recent FAQ videos. Do you think he will come up with his own Solar headless models?

17. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Good question. I'm not sure if he would do a headless or not. The Solar head stock is kinda like his thing that's on everything.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Didn't Ola say he's not the biggest fan of fanned frets? And then that ended up happening.

TBH I initially though thtat Solar would be more of a vanity brand. Guitar with specs and designs he likes. But t looks like he's going out of his comfort zone with some of the newer guitars.

RiksRiks likes this.
  19. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Lol waiting for the « i like the green but with the maple fretboard » 3,2,1...;)

Edika, josh1 and Perge like this.