Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

I dunno really, more of a 6 string player myself. I think it is having noticed something on here.

nightlight likes this.
  2. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I've never seen an 8-string V. I don't think they're very common at any rate.

3. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Check out Dean, their 2021 line has some really interesting guitars- fan 7 and 8s with Kahler tremolos, not sure if there’s a V though.

4. nightlight

Screenshot_20210309-120324_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would buy this from Dean, but they want around $8k. :mrburns:

5. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Holy fck, ewww... :D

Let me guess... Kerry King designed that?

I play music likes this.
  6. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

It wasn't meant to be taken as a personal attack, but if you want to take it that way instead of a self-deprecatory poke at ourselves, you're welcome to. Guitarists are prone to chase gear instead of practice, so it's only natural that some will look for any reason to presume positive opinions on gear must be biased. Only you can tell if the shoe fits. If you find the shoe uncomfortable, well... put some socks on.

For what it's worth, I don't have a Solar, will never own a Solar, have no real opinion on Solar guitars, rarely watch Ola, have very little opinion or investment in Ola one way or the other, and I can't remember when I last commented in this thread. I took the opportunity to make a joke about guitarists. So you're kind of just yelling at clouds.

7. nightlight

I'm not sure if you're a native speaker of English, but the insinuation in your first post and who it was directed at was clear, just as it is in the second. You did quote me after all.

What makes it worse is you link the assertion that no one can like all gear to people not practising enough. So I'm not sure what is self-deprecating, it's an insult and it makes zero sense. And now you're trying to cover up an ad hominem attack with another ad hominem attack.

It's just the typical misdirection that's become all too frequent in public discussion. Have a problem with someone's point of view? Mount a Chewbacca defence.

Most demos/reviews are positive, it's just how people are wired to think the gear we have is good.

When it's done professionally, however, to the extent that gear I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole is made to sound unreal, it reminds me of a lot of guitar celebs endorsing gear and never using it. If that is fair game for criticism, so is (what I think is) people expressing opinions about Ola's demos/reviews.

There are plenty of videos comparing processor X to processor $ and saying they sound the same. It's disingenuous.

8. nightlight

Yes. I'm guessing you don't like Dime's axe and flying Vs too.

9. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Every guitarist I know, including myself, has chased gear and tone instead of practising at one point or another. Many of us have come up with silly reasons to question whether certain gear is good or not instead of playing. Perhaps you could learn to not take yourself so seriously.

DiezelMonster, Hollowway and JimF like this.
  10. nightlight

Actually, I like to be self-deprecating, you know, like "We're all told we're going to be rockstars and movie God's, but I won't WITH THAT TONE".

I'll again navigate the thread towards Solar Guitars. I noted a separate thread where someone got a new Solar. Beautiful colour and the construction looks excellent, but I was wondering about the wood that was used.

Being a transparent finish which exposes the grain, I was surprised that the wood looked to be from two separate pieces of lumber, or at least not consecutive slices from the same tree.

I always subscribed to the idea that you should at least have body pieces bookmarked in order to achieve maximum resonance and tone (though I know some would say only the pickups matter).

What does everyone else think? Am I too finicky about wood to think this would be a QC with some of the larger companies? Or should they have just painted it in a solid colour?

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Muti-piece bodies are the standard, especially at this price point, regardless of brand or finish.

aesthyrian, Hollowway and nightlight like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Yeah I never see one piece bodies on anything except boutique builds.

Hollowway and nightlight like this.
  13. jdecaire

jdecaire SS.org Regular

I believe you are referring to my guitar. TBH - at this price point I think that would be getting too finicky. I would say most guitars in this price range would be laminated pieces (two or more).

The guitar is certainly 100% ash, just laminated together. I'm not sure your familiarity with ash, but the grain varies greatly from tight lines to more open spaced grain. With the hipshot bridge it resonates about as well as my Gibson Les Paul, so I don't know how much you would be gaining from one piece of wood other than $1-2K added on the price tag. To each their own though!

Hollowway, nightlight and JimF like this.
  14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Actually ML's and Flying V's are awesome, but that one is one ugly mofo! I absolutely hate how it looks.

15. nightlight

Ah, I guess the time's they are a-changin'. I bought my RG1820X Prestige in 2007 iirc.

Cost me more than a month's salary at the time, but it was under US$1000 at today's currency conversion rate (us$1500 at the currency conversion rate back then). Also, it was one of the basswood models.

Kind of weird though, seeing you can still get RG Prestiges for about $1500 nowadays on Reverb.

That said, the colour and fit and finish on @jdecaire's guitar looks outstanding. I was very impressed with the bevels along the arms, looks like top notch work.

I see what you mean about the laminates as well, I just came across this Cort X500, and it is the one pictures on their website, so I suppose the stuff that is actually being sold would look nothing like that.

Cort X500.png

16. nedheftyfunk

nedheftyfunk SS.org Regular

Neck-thru are already laminate-construction with each wing separate, so the wings are often single pieces with no further lamination. I would expect that to be the case for that Cort, and have a recent bass from them for which that's true.

KnightBrolaire was referring to set necks and bolt-ons where you'd need much bigger piece of wood, resulting in a lot more waste, to make a one piece body. If you look, for example, at Gibson's 2015 catalogue, they explicitly state that the LP Standard has a two-piece back vs, say, a Classic with multi-matched. The two piece is a brag on their part, as you shouldn't expect it, rather than a denigration.

Hollowway and nightlight like this.
  17. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

The funny thing is that nobody is bothered by maple tops, and the surface area of the glued part is way bigger there. Multi-piece necks fine and even desirable because of stability. Neck throughs' bodies are basically two wings that are glued to the neck. Also perfectly fine, and the age old myth goes that neck throughs have the best sustain (bolt ons have better attack, of course). It makes zero sense that multi-piece body on a bolt-on or a glued neck is somehow inferior. Sure, above a certain price it's something to be expected "just because", but I reckon it's about the last thing anyone should be worried about.

18. nightlight

I was always suspicious of the basswood wings on the mahogany body Majesties as well, so I guess it's just some weird kink I had in my head.

Does anyone like basswood, for that matter? I always used to suspect it was the cheapest of tonewoods, but it's used in a lot of high end axes. Light too, which I should have thought was a good thing, but I always was under the impression it was undesirable. Used prices for basswood guitars seem to reflect that, everyone wants swamp ash or mahogany or whatever.

I just noticed the headstock on the Solars. That's an amazing design, well done Ola.

19. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Fender was using Ash because he got it cheap at the Lumber yard. Mahogany was sort of frowned upon by luthiers until steel strings became popular, who’s makers were also using cheap available wood. History and hindsight have made certain woods valuable.

Is basswood “bad?” Absolutely not. Does the weight of a guitar effect the way it sounds ? No, but don’t tell anybody unless you want an endless argument!

Pickups, strings and your fingers make the sound, everything else that isn’t an amp or a pedal has an effect but it’s not as much as people think really.

jdecaire, JimF, AleaG and 2 others like this.
  20. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Some people like basswood, but mostly chumps like Tom Anderson or John Suhr I guess :)

Kidding aside, there's basswood and basswood...just like other families of woods, there are a lot of species that fall under the same umbrella, then there are a bunch of quality of suppliers and treatment. Not all basswood is created equal. You can find cheap "basswood" guitars, just like you can find cheap "mahogany" or "alder" guitars.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021