Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

Lol Ola is the least full of himself "famous" player I've ever seen

2. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Since when has Ola been full of himself? And SWOLA is supposed to be entertainment, not to be taken very seriously at all... I'm glad nobody's forcing you to watch his videos, mate! ;)

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Are you sure you aren't watching videos of Fluff, Glenn, or Chappers? :lol:

Olas just doesn't give a fuck and I mean that in the best way possible. He's always done what he want and changed his style because he became more comfortable showing who he is. Also he makes a good chunk of money off YT, which is why he's doing more than he used to do.

Solar Guitars is whatever, but Ola himself is a cool dude.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I've seen a few photos of cracked fretboard and those are some serious cracks extending over a wide amount of the fretboard, more than 5-6 frets. And there has been a couple of cases of roasted maple with the same wide cracks.

While wood is going to crack, especially ebony and roasted maple, I think the problem here is the volume of instruments that have issues vs guitars sold, the time in which the issue appears, the extend of the cracks and how Solar has handled it so far. If someone buys a guitar from a retailer and the fretboard cracks on half the fretboard in a matter of weeks or months then the shop will take some responsibility. This is obviously a defective product. If it happens in 1 guitar out of a 100 then people might not pay that much attention. If it's 2 out of 10 then it's kind of bad odds. Now if the company acknowledges the issue and tries to rectify it then everything is cool. If they make it a bitch of an experience to get repairs, refunds or replacements the it will leave a sour taste to the consumer.

It seems these issues have become more prevalent since the pandemic which means the Indo factory seems to be putting non quality woods since there's no one physically there to inspect the guitars. Not a good practice from their part. I really like the aesthetics of the Solar guitars and I have been considering a V or an E type guitar. I think I'll leave it until there's some type of resolution from Solar about this, meaning addressing the issue and taking steps to minimize instances of cracked wood plus offering a better resolution if this happens. There are a few stores that do sell Solars in the UK so I might see about getting one from there.

zenonshandro likes this.
  5. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

I love SWOLA. I watch it every Sunday morning while I feed my newborn. My wife calls it “my weird Swedish you tuber who needs a haircut.”

6. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

Is an ebony fingerboard cracking something to worry about from any brand? Is there a special oil to use on it or a regimen that helps?

7. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Yep I think the guy is fun and genuine - puts out good content, loves to chug.
    Does that make him a perfect human being and business man, or does that avoid cracks in ebony? Not really

8. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I'm not an Ola fanboi and honestly I hate his tonal tastes...but I like the dude. If anything I can say he's NOT a Youtuber that's full of himself which is hard to find. He's just goofy and runs his business. He seems to be pretty transparent about it all (as much as I would know, of course) and he's not annoying with it.

I even like his Solars and it's well noted that I hate superstrats with unbridled passion..but I'd check out one of his if I ever saw one in reality.

I'm not all the nuts about his music, I don't own any of his albums, hell I don't even really listen to any of the bands he was in, and I'm far from an Ola follower. But I really dig him and he's endearing in a goofy way.

Quiet Coil, foreright and Millul like this.
  9. couchguitarplayer

couchguitarplayer SS.org Regular

I love Ola and I think he's a genuine guy. Solar is an interesting company with cool and refreshing models. He's build for metal player. We've seen more and more new brands directly related to youtubers and artist (Solar, Chapman, Abasi, etc.). It seems like a cool way to do money for guitar players. We have to keep in mind that those are build at the same place than other brands.

The cracked fretboard thing is scary. I've seen guitars with QC issues. Those are usually call lemons... But I haven't seen this much. KDH did a video on this on Youtube and Ola said to him that the numbers of deffects are in the same range as any other brands. Maybe it's just the internet...But the effect is that I won't buy until I feel safer.​

10. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

Just restrung my G series for the first time since getting it before Christmas. Not sure what strings it comes with (something with black ball ends) but I did a gauge change to my usual NYXL 10s with balanced tension. Not a problem switching on the Evertune compared to any other system. The board happily took two small applications of Music Nomad F One oil, which I think is the best fretboard product out there. It's a fairly cold winter here and my heat has been going strong. I try to keep the house around 40% humidity but it will fluctuate a bit. Definitely no problems with my board and overall the guitar is just excellent.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Ola: *buys various import/inexpensive gear and tries to get it to sound metal because his fans ask him to*

Non-fans: “He’s so full of himself”

Wolfhorsky and mlp187 like this.
  12. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

My biased opinion...I enjoy some of his videos and he seems like a cool guy and you have to remember a public personality is not a REAL personality so if he seems full of himself it might be a role he plays because it sells subscriptions to his channel. I have enjoyed his old travel vlogs the most inluding going shopping in Japan...shopping for a bday strat etc....
    I don't like his guitars but only because I'm not his target audience...I don't play seven strings anymore and I am gravitating towards less pointy guitars...also I don't care for evertune bridges. That's not a slight against his product...it's just my tastes. That said I certainly hope his company succeeds. Unless I hear that his factory is using child labor or poisons the local water supply with chemical waste I have nothing but hopes for his success.
    However....this is a big however for me.....I do find most of his guitar reviews a bit snarky. Be a guitar manufacturer CEO or be a youtuber...don't be both. Or at least adjust your content to exclude reviews of other guitars. The heads of Gibson and Fender and ESP(LTD really) (his competition) don't do Solar guitar reviews (to the best of my knowledge) on youtube and then make little comments about aspects of the guitar. To me, and I could be wrong, it comes off as a passive aggressive way of shitting on a guitar that someone might be considering as an alternative to a solar. But again...if I'm wrong its only the 30th time today so I will forget about like all the others

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

lmao solar is nowhere near big enough to be any competition to esp, ibanez or the other big companies. They may be targeting similar demographics, but that's about it.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  14. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

I never said he was as big as those companies. Never hinted at it. Never suggested it. BUT they are his competition....somebody considering buying a Mick Thompson guitar or a Kirk Hammett guitar is likely the same target demographic for a solar guitar a.1.6 or wahtever the numbering system is.

Ferrari is nowhere near as big as Ford....but if the head of Ferrari had a youtube channel where he tried to give a review of a Ford GT race car I would have a hard time thinking he was an honest broker

Dudley likes this.
  15. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Well, I got two Korean LTDs with issues, even though everybody raves about them. Or used to at least. It all depends on the individual guitar at the end of the day. Even my Prestige is just a workhorse guitar in terms of overall quality. The more you look for flaws - the better the likelihood of finding ones. If you start inspecting guitars super thoroughly with a bright flashlight in hand, you'll see all sorts of tiny problems.

It's also worth noting that $800-1200 range isn't what it used to be. I think people are still in denial of that, you still see things like "a $1k guitar shouldn't have these issues", but $1k used to be the price of Japanese ESP and Ibanez, for example. Nowadays they're more in the $1.5-2k territory. A $1k Indo is what a $500-700 ish guitar used to be. I remember Korean Schecters and LTDs selling for way less than they're now.

Plus, Ola is an internet dude, and I reckon most of Solar's customers got a guitar because they're familiar with his YouTube channel. It's not surprising to see more complaints than "usual". Not that I really know what the actual lemon percentage is, of course. But assuming it's not much more than similarly priced guitars, again, it's not that surprising to see more complaints.

I think it's well established by now that he doesn't take himself too seriously. And neither should you take a YouTube review of anything too seriously either.

It comes from a dude who has fart buttons. Honestly, if anyone is upset that a dude with fart buttons was a bit too snarky towards a guitar, they need some balls growing medicine asap.

JimF likes this.
  16. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Let me see if I understand your logic....you are questioning the size of my testicles and also, I guess by extension....my manhood because I had an opinion on one aspect of a youtuber's content. I don't think any part of my statement was a childish rant...maybe go reread or take your bipolar medicine

17. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Quick question: Given that Ola is a member here, could some of these comments be seen as member bashing?

18. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It's funny, I don't have a Solar, I'm not necessarily a fan of the guy (although he's entertaining and clearly good at what he does musically), but I don't think I've seen him bash other brands. Quite the opposite actually, the few vlog type of things I've seen from him, I often remember him praising other brands and other guitars.
    Even in his own collection he says a lot of good about "competitors", and I don't recall him saying things like "except Solars are better because xyz".

From a cynical perspective, I was actually surprised how little he pushed that angle considering the business owns...but I guess he does realize that he's not losing any business in doing it this way and trying to show an open-minded honest side.

SymmetricScars and Millul like this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on if it crosses a threshold into harassment, bullying, threats of violence, over the top ad hominem attacks, and just generally overall malice vs. having not so favorable opinions on his branding or the way he conducts his business.

If there's anything especially nasty folks are free to report it, I'm not going to go through 148 pages on my own, but would be happy to correct any instances worth action.

Ola, and plenty of other musicians and entrepreneurs, choose to put themselves out there. Share music, thier views, products, etc. and that tends to welcome scrutiny.

I always try to look at stuff like this with some perspective. Does Ola care that MetalCock3000 thinks his YouTube is stupid? Probably not.

20. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I like him except too much of the burping and farting noises. At the end it’s boring ;).
    But he’s positive, cool and welcoming, loves to share.
    I like Leon Todd on the same level. Guys love to play, share infos, love the instrument...all good !

Ataraxia2320, verotuomari and JimF like this.