Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

That black gloss one was pretty dang sweet.

2. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Hahaha, for sure.

I hope the bolt-on production will enable Solar to offer wider range of options when it comes to neck and fretboard (scale length, radius, and yes, inlays for the idiots like me hehe).

3. Isolationist

Isolationist SS.org Regular

I'm one of the pickiest guitar buyers out there, but I'm also one of the most boring because all I've wanted from Solar guitars since the beginning was a gloss black A2.7. That's it.

A gloss black S2.7 would be better though.

mlp187 likes this.
  4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I doubt those specs will change as that's one of the selling points of the guitars - radius and neck profile are kept the same throughout the line so that regardless of what Solar you pick up, it feels the same.

5. HungryGuitarStudent

I don’t understand that argument at all, since many companies offer a spectrum of scale lengths and radii, to cater to a wider player base. Anyhow, it’s not a hill I want to die on heheh

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think people need to realize that Solar Guitars isn't your typical company. It's more of a passion project, and a lot of the shit Solar Guitars releases is stuff that either Ola likes or thinks is cool.

7. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Until they start growing the specs will be basically the same. It's just changing Bridges and Colors right now basically.

Last video Ola kinda hinted a "Strat". He was watching the latest Fender all Rosewood Neck special edition (from Protected Species to Special Edition.. oh well) and he was saying "Now that's cool maybe I should look at it more serious and make one too", something along these lines. So I either suspect a Pickguard Solar Strat like or a Full Rosewood Neck...

8. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I’ve been working my way through his YouTube channel and he answered a question regarding why he doesn’t/will he ever have a Solar sig. I was genuinely surprised that he didn’t answer “the whole brand is my sig model”. Seriously, unless it’s a sig he made for another artist they’re ALL Ola sigs!

9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Hopefully, he was smart enough not to have implemented a Chapman-esque return policy. ;)

10. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Wich was what?

11. HungryGuitarStudent

My 2 cents: many companies offer bolt-on production models with various options for scale length, fretboard radius and neck thickness (Suhr, Kiesel, Ibanez, etc.). Whether it’s financially viable for solar to do in the future is pretty hard to know for us SSO members IMO (excluding Ola).

I was simply saying that there seems to be a segment of the market that would be interested in that.

12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I kinda wish Dino Cazares signed with Solar instead of Ormsby. Just imagine a single hum archtop or beveled A-Type with off-set side dots. Arrrrggghh

Zhysick, I play music, Masoo2 and 3 others like this.
  13. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Or maybe you overestimate the amount of people who know what fretboard radius they want and buy nothing else.

Merrekof, Mathemagician and Vyn like this.
  14. HungryGuitarStudent

Possible, it's all speculation... The players I know are pretty specific about neck profiles, but maybe my sample isn't representative of the market.

That being said, I doubt other companies would offer those options if they weren't profitable.

All I'm saying is offering bolt-ons opens up flexibility on that end, in principle at least, which is something positive :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  15. Vyn

I think this is more likely. This a personal anecdote however I own guitars of varring radi from 12" to 17", some compound some constant and it's something I don't notice unless I'm really trying to look for it. The profile of the neck on the otherhand is a make or break and what a lot of players generally attribute to the feel of their guitars.

16. HungryGuitarStudent

For me, fretboard radius has an impact on playability (for vibrato, bends, etc.). Neck profile also, including thickness and neck width (and shape, obviously). There’s a range of these parameters I like, and a range I dislike. Same for all guitarists I know. Obviously scale length is another important neck playability related parameter.

Maybe the common denominator in the 1-1.5k$ market doesn’t care about these things, I have no clue.

Anyhow, anecdotes gonna anecdote.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. Vyn

One thing I've found interesting is using the same base (same strings, same tuning, same pick) on a variety of scale-lengths, radi, neck profiles, bridges, nuts, tuners, neck constructions (you get the idea) and enjoying the differences for what they are/how they force me to play around them.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Okay yeah a Dino-designed solar would be fucking ***awesome***.
    But he seems plenty happy with Ormsby. Plus he was buddybuddy with him for awhile

MASS DEFECT and c7spheres like this.
  19. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I agree. I'd rather see him with Solar too, but only if they make a bolt neck and an RGA like the one @zombloth just showed for his new guitar day!
    - Seriously. Ormsby's seem great but seem like a pain to deal with from what I can tell, real limited numbers and higher costs too. I'm more comfortable with the idea of doing business with Solar/Ola.
    - Either way, I want Solar to make an RGA bolt neck 7 string, ebony board, bass wood body. EMG pickups etc.

Mathemagician likes this.
  20. Vyn

FWIW and IIRC, Ormsby Run 14 will be the last pre-order run for the GTR line. All subsequent batches will be ordered fully and then released for sale once they arrive and have been QC'd (going to a more traditional model), which I suspect will make the brand more viable/palatable.

JimF and c7spheres like this.