Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

So you want string through instead? Is this because of looks or is there any technical disadvantage of the stop tail?

2. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

Are these artists playing factory indonesians that normal people like us buy or are they better in any way?

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I don't think Ola ever talked about there being any other factory. It's just the one former Washburn factory

4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

A bit of both, and it's more a subjective feel too. Don't particularly like changing strings with a stop tail either. At the end of day I've always preferred the guitars with string-through on average vs their almost equivalents with stop tail.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's not really all that difficult to make any properly built guitar play like something typically much more expensive.

A lot of musicians use mid-tier production instruments live. It's less risky to tour with and cheaper/easier to replace if something is lost, broken, or stolen.

6. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sceptical of the whole "they're playing a secret custom shop" thing. If you gave, say, Steve Vai a Squier in a decent technical condition (meaning no fret sprout or twisted neck or anything like that, just a playable barebones guitar), and a practice amp, I'm dead sure he'd play the shit out of it. But if you, or I, or most of us really, got access to Steve Vai's equipment and guitars, we won't suddenly play like Steve Vai.

Bottom line is, it's not the guitar, it's the guitarist. As long as the guitar is in a good technical condition, that's all you really need. The rest is just gas.

Wuuthrad, VGK17, couverdure and 12 others like this.
  7. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

Yea I don't believe the higher end the guitar the better you play, more that professionals would prefer a higher end instrument.

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I think pro players wouldn't mind playing a good quality mid-priced guitar. Nor do I think they prefer a higher-end guitar. I think it's more of... whatever tool fits their needs best.

XPT707FX likes this.
  9. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

This is correct. A lot of people seem to think there's some sort of magic in higher end guitars. Too many tone chasers worrying about stuff like tone wood and such when, regardless if true or not (let's not debate that,) a guitar can sound great if played by a competent guitarist. Like you said, give Vai a well set up $200 chibson and he'll make it sing. Most people have their guitars set up one way or another after buying, and that'll typically fix any sort of truly meaningful qc issues.

Custom shop or Chinese made, a well known artist will have their guitar set up by a great tech that can make the worst playing off the shelf import play just as well as the most expensive domestic made axe. So long as the wood is in the shape of a guitar, it's structurally sound and they get along with the neck carve and such, a guitar is a guitar.

wakjob, Omzig and nickgray like this.
  10. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I have a few inexpensive Ibanez and I like them for what they are, but when it comes to recording and being creative, I do find that I am more creative on a more expensive guitar. Polished frets have a huge influence on how I play.

11. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I agree but get one of those inexpensive guitars refretted with stainless steel and it may play like an expensive guitar. I have done that once. Feels weird though when the refret costs more than the guitar...

12. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

You can make a heap load of guitars play well as long as the wood isn't garbage and the neck doesn't change shape three times in the two minutes it takes to go from backstage to main stage. You most likely won't because it takes time and money to fix a cheap instrument; saying that as someone who had an Harley Benton Fusion Pro get the PLEK treatment. Realistically, even once added the cost of PLEK and the pickups, it's still a good price/performance ratio; but the neck isn't as stable as more expensive instruments. Getting a more expensive guitar generally compounds a lot of things: better woods (or at least better dried), better hardware, better finish, hopefully better setup... For less than the price of doing all those things to a cheap guitar costs.

In other words: yeah the pros could play better than you on a piece of fire wood; and you can make a piece of fire wood play just fine. It's just a pain in the ass! :lol:

That being said, I doubt Solar has a Custom Shop tier or something. A bit more attention for the endorsed pros? Maybe. Doubt they can afford a lot more considering you're seemingly getting a pretty good instrument as is.

JimF, XPT707FX and I play music like this.
  13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I assume they are, possibly just with a bit of extra care and attention here and there. Some might have had a tech look over them as well and replace some parts.

14. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

No. If they have a signature model, they typically play the final prototypes, but they're essentially identical to what you can buy in every way.

15. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Honestly I think that Solar is the best looking LP shape out there. The headstock is great.

VGK17, JimF, LordHar and 2 others like this.
  16. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

This video of joe on a nasty cheap ass shitty strat copy and pratice amp sum's this comment up perfectly

Still sounds just like joe satch....i mean not even someone trying to sound like joe but 100% joe.

As for Solar haven't had chance to check out any of there gear but it looks like they fill their niche prefectly,id love to grab and check out the neo pink NT from a few pages back.

17. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I just bought a schecter 7 string, which is like 2x the price of mine solar V2 (when you compare new), and the quality, in some of the parts that matter, i.e. the neck and frets quality, Solar is much better. I had a rough start with it, but now I quite love it - and I am a quite frustrated with the schecter. Unlike with the Solar, those are not cosmetic issues. I just dropped it to the technician for the second time, and I am afraid it will eventually need the frets to be leveled (it is basically a new guitar with stainless frets...). I know Solar guitars have some issues, even mine had (minor and cosmetic), but generally I think those guitars don't lack anything to be used professionally to be honest. No need to correct frets for example, in my case (other than polishing some fret edges which were a little rough).

So at the moment I would be much more comfortable with spending my money on some Solar type something.1, than lets say korean made schecter for similar price...

Decapitated likes this.
  18. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Got a reply from both solar and thomann saying that it was the first batch that is now sold out. Thomann said the next order is planned for end december, Solar says there'll be another one for october.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Main issues with that video is that the audio is the quality of a potato, and he says the guitar was painful to play. :ugh:

ALSO

New sig guitar. For Tommy from Coroner.

[​IMG]

Plain looking, but the specs seem cool.

Fluence Moderns, SS frets, and a FUCKING GOTOH FLOYD ROSE.

20. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

And yet the tone is 100% joe & even though it's a POS and painful to play he still makes it sings....which is the reason why it was posted as and example..........