Software for Chord Diagrams?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by ElRay, May 2, 2021.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm looking to transcribe a piano accompaniment piece that is 99% arpeggios. Any suggestions for software to do the chord diagrams that can handle guitars that are not 6-Stringers in E-Standard? My usual go-to is Lilypond, but I'm wanting to keep this quick and easy.

2. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

Not trying to be an a-hole, but wouldn't this be easiest with just using your ear? Seems like a lot of extra steps for no reason. And if you're not familiar with intervals and building chords already, I feel like it'd still be easier to learn that rather than finding a program to do it for you. It benefits you greatly to understand how that stuff works.

Edit: If getting the diagrams was the whole point, rather than knowing the arpeggios, then nevermind what I said :D

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  3. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I have the piano sheet music in standard notation - there's no need to figure out "the notes". I just have to arrange it so it can be played on a guitar tuned to Fripp's NST/C-Pentatonic/Quasi-Celtic (CGDAEG) tuning. The reason for this is that there's a lot of 5ths-based movement in the bass, and it's an accompaniment part for a Flute solo, so I want to keep the openness and don't want the chords to be too dense.

The majority of the piece has the bass notes C2, G2, D3 and then the rest of the arpeggios in different octaves/sequences, e.g.: G2-B3b-D4-G4-D4-B3b, then later: G2-D4-G4-B4b-G4-D4, then later: G2-B4b-D5-G6-D5-B4b, then later: G2-D5-G5-B5b-G5-D5. Other sections have piano chords with too many notes, notes below C2, or notes too close together to be played on guitar.

Yup, I just want to make some easy-to-read chord charts for the three/four different Gm, the three/four different Dm, the three/four different Ebmaj7, etc. and the "playable on guitar" voicings of the other chords. Me hand-writing chord charts is worse than me hand-writing text. Plus I want an archive on digits.

The other rub is that since the the guitar isn't in E-Standard, I can't just snag the relevant pieces of an E-Standard chord chart (even if they had open-bass, 3rd/12th position treble, chords), or use one of the apps that assumes nobody would play anything other than a 6-String in E-Standard.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  4. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Guitar Pro 7 can do chord charts for whatever tuning you want for instruments up to 10 strings. Here's a random thing I chose with a 10-string tuning that automatically gave me a chord name and fingering:

[​IMG]

You can change the way it displays of course, including turning off and on standard notation and tablature etc.

ElRay likes this.
  5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Just to collect potential solutions: Neck Diagrams 2 It supports from 3 up to 20 strings and you can assign the tuning.