Soen : new band featuring Martin Lopez and Steve DiGorgio....

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I just missed this and this is the best old-news I've heard in a while, but this definitely is something I've been hoping to hear. If this was already posted, please let me know, I tried to search to no avail.

Swedish drummer Martin Lopez (ex-OPETH, AMON AMARTH) has joined forces with bassist Steve DiGiorgio (SADUS, TESTAMENT, DEATH, ICED EARTH), vocalist Joel Ekelöf (WILLOWTREE), and guitarist Kim Platbarzdis in a brand new project called SOEN. According to Martin (pictured below), the band's music "will be melodic, heavy, intricate and very different than everything else."

SOEN is currently writing material for what is expected to eventually become the group's debut album.

I would've hoped to see him rejoin Opeth, but this is a way better outcome IMO seeing as I like this direction this band is going a lot more; sounds more like old Opeth mixed with Katatonia a bit. :hbang::hbang:

Anyways heres some links...
BLABBERMOUTH.NET - Former OPETH Drummer Joins Forces With SADUS Bassist
Soen on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Be sure to check out their myspace page, theres two demo tracks on there... sounds fucking killer so far IMO. :bowdown:

Espaul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
well, it's more boring than Opeth, but has some quality in it.
I'm a big fan of Katatonia and I hear quite a bit of it in this, but not the frailness of it..

I have to listen a bit more.

Thanks for posting this :)

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Bumping this thread with new songs.

Loving what I'm hearing so far, despite the poor audio quality. Lopez's drumming is so sublime...I'm stoked to hear him play again :metal:

Last edited:

MABGuitar

What's a guitar?
Reaction score
I've always loved Martin Lopez's drumming. It's good to hear new music from him coming out!

Does anyone hear a little tool influence in the first track?

Steve08

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Martin and SDG could do way better than this IMO, yeah the drumming is very good but the music itself... meh.

Latest posts