Social Media Copyrights

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by rippedflesh89, Mar 9, 2021.

1. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

I apologize in adanced if the title doesn't exactly make sense or if this is posted in the wrong location.

Is it safe to post original content on social media platforms such as Instagram without having to worry about the riffs being stolen? I'd like to post some short playthrough videos of me playing some of my own riffs on guitar but without having the riff officially recorded, I'm worried about someone stealing my hard work. Am I safe to post freely or should I record everything and post it to soundcloud or bandcamp first?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Folks will copy what they will, no form of copyright will stop that.

Unless they get super successful, there isn't really much recourse, and even if it becomes "worth it" it's not going to be a fun fight.

SpaceDock likes this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

51% (+/-49%) of everything I play has been stolen from IG and YouTube.

FWIW... I watch Greg Koch's Wildwood guitar demos and Live from his home performances specifically to steal all of his intellectual property.

thebeesknees22, Wuuthrad and mmr007 like this.
  4. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Think of it this way. If they do steal your riffs, how are you going to fight it? You're probably not.

But if it comes to it, if you have multiple places to post your music, then you may as well do so to at least provide some level of timestamped evidence.

5. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

What music intended for Instagram is worth stealing?

Drew and cwhitey2 like this.
  6. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Assuming it’s a risk reward scenario, ask yourself if it’s worth it? If you’re worried about it you can register copyrights.

Is it more about getting your music out there? I say go for it!

I remember a Dimebag quote where he said “hey it’s all good bro” when someone said they stole his riff. (Nice position to be in right?)

But guitarists have already played everything under the sun, so make it new again!

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why do you post anything on IG unless you hope someone steals it?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  8. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

But even if you release an album there's nothing that prohibits others from stealing your riffs :lol: Besides, if someone does "steal" your riffs, what are you going to do about it?

9. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

You could argue in court if you had something recorded before some big band stole it, I guess. If it's work you're really worried about being stolen, I'd just record it and upload it somewhere.

10. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my riffs in general as much as I'm worried them being stolen, recorded and claimed as their own before I can do the same.

I've been trying to work on my production skills but it's taking time. I'm pretty horrible at mixing so I want to make sure I can create something that sounds somewhat professional before I release anything to make sure I'm representing my music in the best was I possibly can.

Posting to Instagram is more about trying to get something of a following before I release anything as well to prove that I can actually play these with riffs.