So who wants to talk about synthesizers?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Mar 19, 2021.

1. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

@RevDrucifer I have a k2000 I've been trying to sell for a little while. I don't know where you are or what shipping would be, but if you're interested send me a pm.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

A few months ago, I started with an Arturia Microfreak... and then bought a Moog DFAM and Subharmonicon in rapid succession. I am having a blast!

3. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Death Metal Droog

A synth is actually my biggest gear regret of all eternity for ever selling... I used to own a Roland JD-800. Simply incredible, no instrument I’ve ever come across sounded quite like it, in stereo through a good PA it was god-like. Wish I held on to mine as they have gone so much up in value that I could never buy one back for how much I did in 2008.

[​IMG]
    Opening of Dream Theater’s “Take The Time” is a great example of the JD-800.

I also love the Korg Wavestation (System Shock 2 soundtrack heavily used this one) and the M1 (favorite OG synth for cutting strings and symphonic sounds. It morphed into the X series, M rack series etc)

narad, broj15 and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  4. styphonthal

styphonthal SS.org Regular

I have been distracted by synths for the past 2 years. I have a bunch of behringer: my favorite being the Odysessy. I have Korgs, my favorite being the MS-20.

My most prized possession is a Moog one sixteen voice.

cGoEcYk, broj15 and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  5. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I've been really tempted by the minilogue XD.
    Just recently copped an Arturia microfreak and while the sounds it makes are really nice I'm a little turned off by the UI. Not super intuitive and only having access to one of the oscillators at a time is kinda lame. I'm gonna give it some more time but I think it's gonna get sold along with my model cycles to fund a digitone.

Unrelated, but who is lse is insanely hyped to see how the Korg drumlogue turns out. I don't think Korg has put out a real flagship drum machine synth/sampler since the ER2/ER2s.

Also unrelated, but in the interest of making some heavy industrial techno me and my friend are gonna be doing some urbexing at an abandoned factory here in the city and I'll be bring along my zoom h1n to collect some raw samples to layer with more vanilla drum sounds. Mainly looking to record some metallic clangs to use as stabs & pseudo snare sounds. Does Anyone else on here get into found sounds for the basis for thier samples?

7. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I've had a few hours with the minilogue. All I can say is totally worth it. The presets are nice, but where it really gets going is when you dive in to make new stuff. I'd suggest either starting with the manual or watching a few youtube tutorials online to get started. But generally I found the workflow pretty OK.

I also have worked with found samples. To me, it's the best way to go. Go as crazy as you like and there's generally no better way to start than with an assortment of samples. One of the things I had to do in university is make a piece using just a microphone, coke can and sampler. It was a really cool little exercise. You can learn a lot with a seemingly limited palette.

8. darkinners

darkinners my fingers are lame

I'd say go for the Minilogue XD, if you like Microfreak you may find Minilogue XD sound a bit lean, it technically does not have mono mode but you can use Unison mode to get pretty close, still not as beefy as most of the mono synth but good to have variety.
    This synth is crazy powerful for the money, with the user loadable custom engine you can get a lot of different interesting sounds, and as an analog synth, the oscillator stays in tune very well in all different temperatures.

9. Se7enHeaven

Se7enHeaven SS.org Regular

I have a Roland Integra-7, but also use my keyboard to 'control' various soft synths... basic Kontakt stuff... but also Luftrum and Pulse-Setter.

10. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I need to take a little buying break as I just took in a new guitar and bass within the last two weeks. In about 2-3 weeks I’ll be ready for another decent sized purchase!

cGoEcYk and rokket2005 like this.
  11. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I always liked the JD-800 but they're mostly DOA these days, the keybeds failed spectacularly.

Still got a Wavestation EX, makes for some really cool evolving drones. I'm half tempted to sell it and buy a Wavestate, but I probably won't. Other than that it's Behringer Model D and Neutron for more analog stuff, driven by a Keystep and BSP.

If I tried to list all the synth gear I've had along the way, we'd be here awhile.

-m