So who else here is completely broke?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
if I paid off my mastercard, I'd be negative. And that's before car insurance.

Yup, gotta sell my guitar and get some paycheques just to be even.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
For the record this thread should really apply to those who responsible for roughly all their own bills, bar those who have a significant other to share the responsibility with.

I know I was just about broke when I was 15 or 16, but I certainly wasn't paying my way in the world, at least for 100% of things.

I don't mean any offense, I'm just saying there's a difference between being a broke "teen" and being a broke "adult". :)

Yeah, I'm pretty much paying for all my own stuff. I used to give my mom money for electricity because I was "using up too much" which was bullshit but I made her stop cause it did violate part of the child support she got. I pay all my own bills such as gas, car insurance, cell phone, and going out with friends and I only make about $220 a week right now if I'm lucky. So $360 a month out of an $880 is a good month, but normally I'm stuck with $360 out of $720 and also putting aside money for a new car doesn't allow for very much fun :(

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I make min. wage and currently owe about 1200$ for tuition, which I failed half of the semester I believe. :lol: so I'm gonna be investing in some online classes to make up my smaller diploma which will probably be another grand, then hopefully getting into a trade (welding I think) which'll be another 4 grand or so.

I was going to buy a 2228 but for the pants-shitting amount of money, can't justify it anymore =P and am going to be picking up a Damien 8 at SOME point instead. Got about 200 on my credit impending for pedal purchases, though obviously that wasn't essential. I've been walking back and forth from college for about 10km every day because I don't have bus fare as a result of these decisions. I regret nothing :lol:

Come oooooon, tax return....papa needs to not accrue interest..

In a post-script breath of relief, I (thank fuck) still live with my dad (am 20) and don't have to pay too much to live here since I don't really start or exacerbate any problems. That and (unless I get fucked on my return and can't pay off the tuition) am not in debt...yet. ;) My work's also giving me good hours, 30-35 a week in addition to full-time school, fairly busy but have study time and enough cash to not get into too much of my own bullshit.

I know I don't nearly have it actually bad, but I do wish I had held off on post-secondary education for a bit longer.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
The past couple months for me taught me some good lessons. Here what happened to me.

At the time I had $1000.00 in savings. Then I found about the Opeth show in LA. I didn't want to miss it so I did some research and spent this much:

Savings $1000.00
Opeth tix: -$90.00 (two tickets)
Air plane: -$500.00 (two tickets)
Hotel: -$160.00 (two days)
Shuttle: -$60.00 (two people)
Food: -$100.00 (two people)
Shirts/cd's -$65.00
-----------------------------
Total: $25.00 Left over.

Fortunately I had a nice paycheck heading my way, so I was only broke for a small time :lol: But the lesson is that if you have a few months ahead of time to go to a show, pay off each one of these necessity's every month (one by one) so that your not dead broke in the end.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I'm on my way. I had a fairly good amount of savings in the bank, but I've been unemployed for 18+ months now and the end is neigh. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do. :(

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
Newly unemployed. I get my final severance check tomorrow. Yes, I'm married but we both have loads of student loan debt plus all the other expenses. We've got a good bit saved, but hopefully we don't have to use it. I should be hearing back from a couple places about some jobs I interviewed for this week. It's no fun telling the Mrs. "no" whenever she wants to do anything for herself. We went from getting ready to put her through some training classes to help her try and start finding a new job to her working harder than ever at her job while I'm on the prowl for work.

If we liquidated our 401k's and savings, we'd technically be in the black, but that's delaying financial pain for the future as opposed to looking it in the face right now.

Best of luck to all you other job seekers out there. It's pretty brutal.

vhmetalx

\m/
Reaction score
For the record this thread should really apply to those who responsible for roughly all their own bills, bar those who have a significant other to share the responsibility with.

I know I was just about broke when I was 15 or 16, but I certainly wasn't paying my way in the world, at least for 100% of things.

I don't mean any offense, I'm just saying there's a difference between being a broke "teen" and being a broke "adult". :)
no offense taken :) i just wanted to vent a little. i think.

Jtizzle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got a -6 on my account. Fucking retarded bitch. I went to this hookah bar to see a friend play, I open up a tab and give in my card so the waitress can hold it. I clearly specify I'm going to be paying in cash however. When I decide to close the tab, she swiped my card. Fucking bitch.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys you do know waiting tables at a decent place is VERY good money .... like 12-20$ an hour

Jtizzle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And you go home with a small paycheck pretty much every day. However, it is pretty much the worst job to have. Although the money is sort of worth it. Customers at restaurants are like the hardest thing to put up with. Some are ok and nice about stuff, but lots of people wont shut the fuck up and stop compaining.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Guys you do know waiting tables at a decent place is VERY good money .... like 12-20$ an hour

If you're GOOD at it - if you're an ALRIGHT waiter than it means shit. Waiting tables is I believe $2.50 an hour since you get tipped, and if you want good tips you have to be on top of things which, with a lot of different tables and orders and shit; it's not hard to fall behind on.

wlfers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I sold my guitar about 2 weeks ago and between what I owed and I had, I had a whopping 400 dollars...

Then dropped it on a fat agile interceptor last sunday.

Agreeing back with the op, how the hell do i spend so much money on food?? (and maybe beer too... heh)

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but I just go around my neighborhood fucking middle aged women for money.

'Should try it, yeah?

:lol:

wlfers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but I just go around my neighborhood fucking middle aged women for money.

'Should try it, yeah?

:lol:

wow... you have no idea how many times i've honestly considered that.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
i stopped buying cds last month (having a huge pile here, many still in plastic foil because i take my time for the first listen, each cd on a calm weekend day - in fact, the cds and my computer make up most of my inventory besides the gutiars) and i am going to quit my guitar lessons after 5 years to keep afloat

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember my first few months out of high school, i moved in with a friend after my parents moved across the country (did not want to relocate that far and sell all my stuff off to do so). i had $600 to my name and no job because I had to quit my previous one to move in with my friend. took me almost 4 months to land a job (it was reaaaaaaaallly hard to get work mid 2008 it seemed). it wasnt long before i had $5 to my name and I would scrounge change up to get a bag of chips or something from the gas station down the street. I didnt have it entirely too bad because my roommate was understanding so I always had a plate on the table, but i felt guilty for not buying my own food. being broke to that point is scary. im glad im doing much better off then before, I hope I never let myself go that low again.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm broke :lol: We get enough money from the missus' mum and from the government to pay the rent and buy food, but that's it. And that's the way it will stay for at least the next 6 months, maybe longer. In fact, I had to sell most of the stuff I got not so long ago (synth and M13 and whatnot) to make sure we had enough for bills :(

Fuck study :lol:

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I've been skint since February. I had to sell some of my old pedals in order to pay my phone bills and when I was in London my phone got nicked. Turns out I hadn't paid 2 months insurance so the excess was £60.

So I'm paying £30 a month for a £10 phone and I can't get my Blackberry back until I magic £60 out of nowhere, plus the £30 for this months bill, which comes through on the 18th. I dont start my new job for 2 weeks and my parents refuse to give me any help.

I'm going to have to sell my bass.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
I withdrawed RS$200 (USD$ 112.5) this afternoon and decided to check my balance. Total came up to RS$9.02 (USD$ 5.07).

I'm officially broke... Hahahaha

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I'm not broke yet , luckily I had saved up alot of money from my last job. Now I'm just auctioning of misc. items on Ebay and trying to thin out the guitar collection abit. LOL can't really justify having 11 guitars right now.

scary thing is when I got laid off I had a custom Jackson almost finished and a Rico Jr in the works. Luckily they were mostly paid off so ,1st thing I did was pay the rest of them off cuz I didn't wanna cancel them and lose my deposits.

Been sending out my portfolio and waiting, waiting, waiting. The video game industry isn't to good currently, alot of studios shutting down or laying people off :(

The economy sux