So, that B stock a legator arrived.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Lord Voldemort, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

I decided to give the thing a full rundown, as promised. Besides the uh, problems, it's still pretty OK for $179.

2. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Keep us posted.

3. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

Jeez that pickup route is horrendous. It's still $179, I guess it's worth the risk. I'd personally call it a C-Stock but if it plays and sounds good that's all that matters.

4. Lord Voldemort

Eh, yeah.

The string alignment and the pickup routing are, just, yeah. Haha, I've got some luthiery tools coming in today from Stew Mac, let's see what I can do.

Sdrizis89 likes this.
  5. QUADDITY

QUADDITY Active Member

Thanks for the update! Will be watching to see what you do with yours. I'm going to have mine setup in the next couple of weeks. The setup is OK now but I'm sure will be better after it's gone through.

Lord Voldemort likes this.
  6. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

God I remember last year I went to get a bunch of strings from the local GC and some boomer was telling anybody that would listen about how his son is in a band and has an endorsement deal with Legator. I was just thinking congratulations... What did he have to do, tweet them an offer?

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review, interested to see how things turn out with some work.

Lord Voldemort likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Would you say the the string alignment is .... NOT ..... “right on the money.” ?

zenonshandro, Hollowway and narad like this.
  9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Shut up, Frank.

10. Lord Voldemort

11. Lord Voldemort

Ugh, so I've replaced the pickups and done some fret filing.

I've gotta say, just honestly, this guitar sucks. The frets need way more thorough leveling that I initially anticipated, and I'm no expert in leveling frets. The bridge is permanently slanted, no fixing that one, and when I swapped the pups I really got a Birdseye view of that routing. Just terrible.

I was really anticipating a much better guitar. I'm honestly shocked that Legator are selling these at all as opposed to taking them apart and using them for parts, as even as a B stock they're just made inherently wrong in several ways and that reflects so incredibly poorly on the brand. How are they still in business?

I've ordered an Agile Septor 727, I'm excited to compare them.

12. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

lol, not even gunna be a comparison. Even if it is, the cool thing about Agile is the insane return policy they have. Kurt will take care of you. Legator...not so much.
    Predictable result, but still a bummer you got a kinda-guitar. Oh well. It's always a fun experiment at least.

Siggevaio and Lord Voldemort like this.
  13. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Because people think "it can't really be that bad, and it's cheap" and then order a terrible guitar from them, even when they know they're ordering a guitar that the manufacturer admits isn't up to snuff from a brand wtih an already shaky reputation.

14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

For a guitar that's $179 to have some of the issues that you're describing is honestly fine. Another $200ish invested and you have more guitar than you've paid for. Neck pickup route is... Iffy. You could cut a block, glue it in and re-route the slot. Not as egregious as $4k Gibsons coming out of a box needing a fret level and crowning and having finish issues.

Merrekof and Masoo2 like this.
  15. Lord Voldemort

I profoundly disagree, based upon other guitars that cost $179. I don't know what criteria you're using for your opinion, but my two Squiers (affinity and vintage modified), Epiphone, Ibanez and bass guitar were all below or around that price.

There's some small issues for sure, but even the cheapest ones don't have literal permanent issues like a bridge that fucks up the string alignment so the spacing is uneven, coupled with the pickups being put in randomly angled so the pole pieces don't line up. That's a defective guitar, and it shouldn't be sold at all.

16. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Man, I've seen PLENTY guitars in that price range from the above mentioned companies with similar issues. To me, in that price range you're looking at a toy or a test instrument to see if your kid will connect to it. Beyond that, why spend the money on it? That's having worked in a Guitar Shop selling them. YMMV, but that's based on what I've pulled out of boxes myself.

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You wouldnt even get these issues from Harley Bentons

Hollowway likes this.
  18. Lord Voldemort

It's funny how two different players can have such different perspectives on guitars. I don't think that lower priced are toys at all, in fact generally I just see them as the same thing as high priced guitars made by foreign luthiers with worse parts. But I'm not like, a collecter kind of dude, I am a player. I just want them made dimensionally correct, I'll take care of the rest if need be. Rarely do I see a major brand offering a cheap guitar that is dimensionally and fundamentally made incorrectly, at least to the degree that I see here.

The Legator was made wrong, and is mechanically unsalvagable.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  19. narad

narad Owned a Zune

ITT:

Sometimes people think, "hey, that price is so low, it sounds like you get a lot more than what you pay for." But then they get what they pay for, and they say...hmm, that's disappointing.

20. Lord Voldemort

I can't really argue with that. I've had an extraordinary lucky track record with affordable guitars, apparently.

zenonshandro likes this.