So tell me a good recording set up

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Dusty201087, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

Okay, so I'd really like to start recording some things, but I really have no idea where to start. I really don't know much about recording or anything, but I'd really like to get at least a decent set up for use in college and beyond.

BTW, I'd really like to have a good/decent set up for an amateur player, but I'd also like this to be small. I'm pretty much going to be recording off of a MacBook Pro laptop, and if at all possible I'd like this set up to be pretty much something I can fit on my table top.

So what I was thinking is a MacBook Pro, Pro Tools 8, Eleven Rack, and a decent set of headphones.

Once again, I'm not really sure how these things work, so if this is just a terrible set up or I'm spending/getting way more than I should, please hold your laughter :lol:

It seems like the POD is recommended a lot, but is that set-up anything like the Tone-Ports are? Because I had one of those for about a month and it was absolutely horrid :ugh:

2. defchime

defchime SS.org Regular

3. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

axe fx -> logic 8
    or
    pod xt -> logic 8

beyerdynamic DT770 headphones

done

4. TreWatson

TreWatson Pro Thread Killer

somewhat off topic, but i wish i could afford an Axefx. lol

5. Dusty201087

What's the real difference between Logic 8 and Pro Tools? I've always heard pro tools was kind of the go-to thing. Is it just more user friendly?

6. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

I'm no expert, but i think they're like as capable as one another now (at least for anything we would need)

Not sure if its easier to use. probably cheaper too

7. zeal0us

zeal0us InstruMentalHead

Differences are all in the details...

Logic Studio 9

Logic Express 9

Digidesign Complete Production Toolkit

ProTools M-Powered 8 (Entry level, so to speak)

Also, only specific hardware works with ProTools.

Ah, I see you already knew that last part :)
    I'd go with ProTools if I were you!

8. tr0n

tr0n djent n00b

Personally I'm not convinced Tools 8 LE is on par with Logic 9 considering the amount of plugins, instruments and samples you get with it.

If you're new to recording then there's no need to go all out expensive. That said, stay away from Behringer, as attractive as the prices are! I'd recommend this: M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology - with 6 I/Os you could even record drums with a fairly low-fi sound. If that's a bit costly then maybe M-AUDIO - FireWire Solo - FireWire Mobile Audio Interface for Songwriter/Guitarists will be more affordable. Whatever you choose I'd recommend it to be firewire. An advantage with getting an M-Audio interface is that should you decide you get Tools 8 further down the line, an M-Audio interface will be compatible.

I would highly advise against mixing through headphones. Ideally you should mix through what you listen to music through, and what most people listen through - a pair of speakers. Take a look at M-AUDIO - Reference Monitors for decent entry level stuff.

9. Dusty201087

Logic Studio 9 and Protools seem to be the two that come with quality but also won't destroy my wallet :lol: I'm sure Digidesign is great... I just have no intention on spending that much :shrug:

Okay so bear with me hear because I'm very new with this - but I need something like you posted in order to route my guitar to my computer, correct? So something like this is a must?

As much as I'd like to be able to do speakers, as a college student living in a room with another college student a pair of headphones would be much better. Unless, of course, the monitors were smaller and I could lug them to a practice room, headphones seem like my best bet :ugh:

10. tr0n

tr0n djent n00b

Yeah, an interface is the absolute minimum you'll need to get a signal into your computer. Then you can use something like Guitar Rig to amplify it and get an actual tone. Or you could get a Line6 Pod which does it all for you. Personally I have that Firewire Solo interface and use Guitar Rig 3 for a tone. I can't afford anything fancy, nor do I need to personally as I don't record anything at home.

11. Dusty201087

So wait, if I got the POD I wouldn't even need protools or anything? If so that sounds a lot more reasonable, but I may be misunderstanding. Like I said, I'm really new to all of this :lol:

12. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

the interface he means is some kinda of firewire hardware to turn ur guitar sound into a digital signal for recording. The POD will do this for you.

You will still need logic to record the sounds coming from the POD

13. Dusty201087

Okay, that's what I kind of thought but I just wanted to make sure.

So right now I'm thinking something like this:

Fireware solo ---> Pro tools (on a MacBook Pro) ---> Studiophile Av40 speaker set/Headphones

Does that sound like something that I could record pretty decent stuff with? I've heard pro tools is very easy to use and anyone can make near professional sounding mixes with it, so unless someone has a serious argument for Logic 9, that warrants the extra cash, then I think pro tools is the way I'm going.

14. tr0n

tr0n djent n00b

That's exactly what I've got, with Logic 8 also. With that setup you'll be good to go. :)

15. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

anybody can make near professional sounding mixes with an interface and some recording software:nuts:

I hope that you're not thinking that you'll be pumping out pro mixes because you are "anybody" and pro tools "is very easy to use"...

I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag here either, it just takes way more than people realize to get stuff sounding good...tons of practice

a decent interface and some recording software is a great place to start. If I were you I'd get a firewire interface (assuming your comp has firewire) and use the included recording software that usually comes with it, like Cubase LE, or Traction, or whatever...any of those softwares are going to do anything you need recording software to do while you are just getting started. Later, when you have a better idea what you want to accomplish and how you want your work flow to be, you can choose a "higher end" recording software that has the feature set you want. I wouldn't pay for it now.

16. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

to me? no, because you have just a direct feed from the guitar which is fine, but how do u go about recording distortion? You would need to mic a cab, or use distortion given to u by some software... then you need to add your FX.

Personally the POD is the easyest solution because it simulates cabs, has all the FX you need, everything in one box. Plus because it simulates a cabinet you dont need to mic anything up, it just works.

17. Dusty201087

No, I'm not really expecting to be spitting out pro-quality stuff from the get-go :lol: I just want something that I can learn to use AND can make stuff sound good with.

Yeah I meant to put in POD/Axe-fx in the last post but I forgot, my bad :wallbash:

But overall I at least have an idea of what to do now, thanks guys! Now I just need that cash thing :lol:

18. Drow Swordsman

Drow Swordsman SS.org Regular

If you want to go the all-software route, my friend has the full version of the Peavey MKIII Revalver system and it is VERY nice. Imo it is easier to get a good sound of it than the pods.

That being said, if you do decide to get a pod, I suggest the x3 only because you get all the model packs and it comes with podfarm, which in my opinion is extremely useful with any DAW. If your tone isn't perfect the first time, you can always edit and change your tone later. I have an xt but used the offer back in October when Line6 gave out PodFarm for free for a month and I love using it!

Either way you'll still want a firewire interface.

19. Zami77

Zami77 Recording Bro

well he could start by getting one of the pod x3's (whether the pro,bean, or live version) and use the usb 2.0 connection for his soundcard. then he could always get a firewire interface later and use digital in/outs to get pod sounds, or podfarm.

20. Drow Swordsman

Drow Swordsman SS.org Regular

I don't know from experience, but I know I've read on here that the pod's USB interface is a bit laggy compared to a nice firewire interface.