So, pretty sure I just found a MAJOR score at GC - BCR Gunslinger

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Apr 26, 2017.

1. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I can't believe this. They had THIS listed as a RETRO Gunslinger, instead of an original, one-of-a-kind glow-in-the-dark, because someone put on a new truss rod cover. These go for triple the price, if you can ever find one. I got it for under $600. I'm telling the wife I'll flip it, but no idea how I can let it go once I get my hands on it. These are the types of finds I live for... :hbang:

[​IMG]

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

these are the only guitars from this company I would play and be proud doing so!!!

amazing score. Well done OP.
    Also :lol::lol::lol: at GC's incompetence. Its their and their employee's place to know things like this. Terrible from their point of view haha

3. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

damn that's HOT

4. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I mean, they probably paid the person who brought it in about $100, so they still profited either way.

5. electriceye

That's what I was thinking. Either they suckered someone or someone was down on their luck. Who knows? If this is in decent shape, I may just keep it and unload the Jackson Dinky Custom (at a nice price, too) I got last year.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Years ago, I got an ST-III at a pawn shop for about the same price. It doesn't have the graphics, but it's essentially the two pickup version of the Gunslinger. A dealer later appraised it for $1400, so you are not wrong at basically getting it at 1/3 of it's value. Maybe you did even better than that, but none of that really matters if you keep it, since it's all about what it's worth to you. :2c:

Congrats!

7. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

Pretty sure all trade ins are paid at 50% cash or 60% GC credit. They wouldn't pull something that shady.

GC is a gold mine. Making profit flipping GC gear for years crew...

8. electriceye

That's not an ST-III. Those were only HSS (I'm the original owner of one from '87). $500 is roughly the price of what *those* still go for. The 2H were usually a custom version of the Gunslinger (if it had a reverse HS). There were a few other bastardizations of the super strats back then as well. Regardless, if it's from the 80's you scored big time! :) You have pics??

9. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred I play Guitar and Drums

10. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

It's true, GC actually offers pretty good prices for used gear. Ive used them a few times in the past for stuff like lower end guitars, or amps and cabs where they gave me just as much as I'd have made on eBay after fees and shipping.

11. Jake

Jake GAS Master

This is correct. I worked there (not in sales) and quite literally they go to their website, see if they currently have the item you brought in. If they do, they offer you 50% of the listed price, you can haggle...moreso if you're looking to buy something else from the store. They offered me $800 for a Jackson SL1 once and I walked out with a PRS SC listed at $1500 with no extra cash added. Still have it :lol:

12. electriceye

Good news, bad news. Good news, I finally rec'd this after some weird happenings at UPS. Bad news? Whatever a-hole owned this prior, actually put on a Gunslinger Retro neck!!! WHO TAKES OFF AN ORIGINAL GUNSLINGER NECK???? Dammit... :-/

So, not nearly the score I was hoping. Now I have to find a GS neck. Ugh.

13. electriceye

So, I'm realllllllllly confused by this axe! I'm questioning if it's legit. I don't see how it's NOT, given that the finish is excellent, slightly worn here and there.

But then, there's the back of the guitar. Now, I have to check my other Slinger when I get home, but the lower horn area is NOT from an '88. The Retros and newer USA models have the scoop in the back of the lower horn.

Also, the trem is not original (not a big deal, but I prefer having original BCR trems). It's a Floyd Rose Special. I have to take the strings off to see what pup is in there, but I know that was not original by any means. But that's ok by me.

What do my fellow BC Richers think about this? I'm skeptical... There are VERY few of these in the wild and even fewer pictures, so it's hard for me to compare. I emailed Dan Lawrence yesterday and he said they only made 12-15 of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I'm no B.C. Rich expert, but if it it was listed as a retro gunslinger, has a retro gunslinger neck, a retro gunslinger cutaway on the body, it has a Floyd Rose Special, which didn't exist in '88 and came stock on the retro gunslinger... I'm putting my money on the fact that it's a refinished retro gunslinger.

15. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look right for an original.

16. electriceye

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like it may be a refin (and very good one, btw). There's one telltale sign for me. On the belly cut, the black paint is worn to white. That's covered by clear coat. I think I'm going to return it to GC tomorrow. Can't tell you how let down I am... :(

17. electriceye

Just looked at my original gunslinger and there's no way this one is legit. The trem spring cavities are completely different, too.

So, it goes back to GC tomorrow . :(

18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

"I demand you take this back because it's exactly what you said it was"

19. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I mean, GC has a 30 day return policy on used gear, so it's not like he has to force anything.

20. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

lol... but this is why GC used is amazing. Risk free deals all day. Any other place you'd be screwed in this case.