So Porcupine Tree is back...

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Same. PT has been one of my top 3 bands for the longest time, and I couldn't be happier. Would LOVE to catch them live again.

I woke up to the news in the morning right before work. Was awaiting after their cryptic update last Friday. It is all I listened to on the commute to and from work.

I like the song, but it's still sinking in. It's not a super easy first listen, and I'm sure it's missing quite a bit of context within the album, but I love that opening bass riff, and some of the chord changes. The mix is... well, it's Steven Wilson, so it's beautifully clean and atmospheric. Everything is crystal clear, and I love it.

EDIT: forgot to comment on Gavin's drumming... Oh god. I always have the same reaction when I listen to him. It is buttery smooth. And they're always dialed in so perfectly. :chefkiss:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so the album is out and it's made feel things I haven't felt in almost 13 years. Will definitely have this one on repeat.
It's a bit dense, as most of Steven's material is, but I instantly loved it and enjoyed it on a first listen. Really cool stuff. Very Porcupine Tree, but definitely a new direction.
I absolutely LOVE that they let Richard take charge of his own parts, because the textural elements he brings are fan-freaking-tastic.

I can't wait to go see them live when they come around my neck of the woods in September.

Also, from now on, I am always listening to new albums with my guitar on me. It's such a good way to engage with the music.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Albums been growing on me. First few spins i was a little underwhelmed, even with tempered expectations, but now i'm really gettin into it. Great keyboard sounds and Gavin never disappoints. Steven's vocals are great too. Not sure how i feel about the lower gainage with his fancy new Tele, but still sounds good. Fav track is probably Herd Culling atm. Dig the ufo allusions in the lyrics and the middle section is sweet.

Also, idk how i missed this thread last year. Wasn't aware they were back at it til like a month ago.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
I too was like, "okay, this is good but I'm not feeling it." The more I listen though, the more I'm digging it. I also think Herd Culling is my favorite so far, it sounds like the lovechild of In Absentia and Deadwing. Of the New Day is also up there in the pantheon of PT ballads.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Definitely a slow burn album. There's some great moments (Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison are bringing their A game here) but I'll need a few more listens to fully appreciate it.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely go see them live if you get a chance.
Saw them last night. They're even tighter than they used to be, and their two new touring people make the sound THAT much better. It was downright magical.
It's a 20-21 song setlist, with a few new songs they've never played before, (all of the new album, plus a couple others) so you'll get a lot of PT.

Also, I never imagined I'd see the full version of Anesthetize live. My only regret is that we arrived almost 10 minutes late, so we missed Blackest Eyes apparently. At least I'd already seen that one live back in 2009.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Absolutely go see them live if you get a chance.
Saw them last night. They're even tighter than they used to be, and their two new touring people make the sound THAT much better. It was downright magical.
It's a 20-21 song setlist, with a few new songs they've never played before, (all of the new album, plus a couple others) so you'll get a lot of PT.

Also, I never imagined I'd see the full version of Anesthetize live. My only regret is that we arrived almost 10 minutes late, so we missed Blackest Eyes apparently. At least I'd already seen that one live back in 2009.
Wow! Just remembered I'm gonna see them next month in Stockholm. Damn! Gonna be cool.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
They killed it in Boston last night. It was worth the major pain in the ass of seeing them in a theater attached to Fenway Park when the Yankees were in town to play the Sox :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
They killed it in Boston last night. It was worth the major pain in the ass of seeing them in a theater attached to Fenway Park when the Yankees were in town to play the Sox :lol:
How was the crowd in Boston? I was surprised at how enthusiastic and genuinely appreciative the crowd was here in Montreal. Like people weren't going wild bananas, but everyone was very clearly into the performance big time. Almost as if we had waited 12 years for this, or something. :lol:

Last big gig I went to was Dream Theater. The crowd was kinda meh in comparison.