So, my singer hates Capo's and says they're lame and degrade the sound. Post your opinion! Lol

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rev2010, May 8, 2021.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yeah when he said that I burst out laughing. I said nearly every huge famous band in history has used a capo at some point. Even the new guitarist we were meeting with for the first time was laughing. That was the most ridiculous thing he'd said. I kept saying, "Give me a scientific reason as to why... WHY a capo is a problem" but he just kept repeating they're lame and he can hear a difference and such. That's why I was like, "OK, do I have your permission to post a thread about this? Cause they're gonna slaughter you on the forum". :lol:

BMFan30 and odibrom like this.
  2. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

I get what your saying, but it is relatively rare for metal bands to use capos on stage, instead just having a guitar in A, one in F#, whatever.

3. Tonefinder

Tonefinder SS.org Regular

Playing bass with a capo is... outlandish

VGK17 likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

But that's because metal is tuned down more often than up.

Rev2010 likes this.
  5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

This song has a capo. Sure only Drew Goddard uses it and he ditches it halfway through the song, but it still sounds massive.

Rev2010 likes this.
  6. oldbulllee

oldbulllee SS.org Regular

it's nonsense. whatever his reason may be for disliking capos, i never, ever heard anything that could be understood as a detrimental effect on the sound. it's not there.
    hell, why playing barre chords than?

Rev2010 likes this.
  7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This song is played with a capo on the third fret of a low-tuned guitar (Drop A# with a low F) and it sounds amazing.

Rev2010 likes this.
  8. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

I figure I'll throw my 2 cents into the 7 page thread.

The last band I was in I played my 8 string in D standard with a capo on frets 1 or 2 to reach Eb or E. It was literally never a problem and I never sounded worse in a live context. In the studio I would retune, but live? Who cares? It sounded perfectly fine.

There are more important things to worry about in a band. I used to sweat the small stuff too. Sorry you have to deal with this.

I used to be anti-capo myself until I realized music doesn't have rules and nobody is going to think I'm cooler for playing a barre chord like a big boy. Guitarists can project a lot on to capos for some reason. It's just a tool to make a song sound better and easier and nothing more.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    odibrom and Rev2010 like this.
  9. brandon9271

brandon9271 SS.org Regular

Find a new singer. He sounds like a real Ahole. Honestly, I can't deal with smug people like that anymore. He'd better have one hell of a voice and even then.. There are talented singers out there who are nice and easier to work with. Find one. Life is too short.

10. grimm26

grimm26 SS.org Regular

When you need a capo, you need a capo. What if it is a song that requires a capo on the 5th fret? You're not gonna keep a guitar tuned up a 4th. I have a Whammy DT so more often than not I will just use that instead of a capo.

11. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I would start writing all future tunes to include capos.

bostjan likes this.
  12. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Just want to point out that people don't seem to think guitars with a 0 fret sound worse than guitars with a nut.

Grindspine and Rev2010 like this.
  13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Just want to point out that "different" and "not preferred" doesn't need to mean "worse".

fantom likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Let's go one step further and suggest writing all future songs to include multiple capos. One capo on the intended fret, and one more capo on a lower numbered fret just for the way it affects the tone. Maybe see how many capos you can fit on your guitar (maybe something like 17) and write a song and insist on that many capos!

Personally, I don't care for capos. But it's because it's just one more thing that will unexpectedly wear out when I actually need it at the worst possible time, and I'd rather my hands get tired from barring ergo-antagonistic chords than have to think about bringing a backup capo on tour in case some drunk decides it'd be funny to hide my capo in their prison wallet.

I also know, first-hand, that a lot of beginners have tons of trouble with their capos, because they don't tune with them on and can't tell when their capo is on crooked or whatever and screwing up their tuning.

I've also only ever maybe once seen a bass player use a capo, and immediately thought it looked weird, since capos make me think of chords, and, unless you are Victor Wooten or something, why would you want to play chords on a bass in a band? But, if I think about it for more than two seconds, it kind of makes sense. Open strings on bass sound kind of ass compared to fretted notes and capos sound closer to fretted notes than open notes... maybe bass players need to use capos more often.

But if you are experienced using a tool, and you want to use a tool to create a certain sound, who cares?

BMFan30 likes this.
  15. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

That's you get OP's vocalist to turn his angry neck bulge into an angry neck tumor that shoots up steroids.

bostjan likes this.
  16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

17. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

It's not for chords, it's so that my bassist can use his current 5-string tuned to A Standard to play a song that we have in B standard without having to tune up two steps. He uses his current 5-string bass with heavy bass strings that accommodate playing in both A standard and also tuning down to F# Standard without getting too floppy. With those heavier strings it's not as viable to tune up to B standard cause of the extra tension the heavier gauge strings will apply on the neck, it's easier to just put a capo on the second fret.

He plans to eventually get a second 5 string bass to keep tuned to F# Standard and at that point he'll probably put on a more common string gauge set for A Standard on his other bass. From there he'll just tune up to B Standard for the songs we do in that tuning.

BMFan30 likes this.
  18. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    ... and how have your singer reacted to all these comments? I'm sure you have already tell him something...

19. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Haven't mentioned it since. I told him I was gonna post this here, he seemed to be aware of this forum, but I left it at that. The posts here I'm sure wouldn't change his mind. We're trying out a new much better drummer than our last tonight along with a new 2nd guitarist. Hope it all goes great and we're back to having a full band again.

brector and odibrom like this.
  20. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

i see your singer has met a cock capo first