So I've just been to an Opeth concert...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Vinchester, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

The "Heritage World Tour" to be more precise.

I am a big fan of Opeth's stuff and really looked forward to this. Heck I'm from Thailand and this is probably my first and last chance to see them. But after this show I still think I haven't really SEEN them, because they only play the songs from their new album plus Porcelain Heart from Watershed. No "old" stuff.

To put it simply, it wasn't a Metal show. The most faithful of the audience managed to headbang like zombies to the slow beats. Hours on acoustic and finger picked stuff interspersed with a few overdriven power chords, and back to acoustic again. :spock: It's like endless cocktease that they'd suddenly break into Leper Affinity, which didn't happen. I saw more than a few walked out before the show ends, probably because they didnt get to see the Opeth they love.

I don't know what's got into them. The band is in their top form. They play extremely well, and the sound is perfect. They just REFUSED to play metal. Hey I'm fine with power ballads and I love Windowpane and Harvest, but these Heritage songs just seem so unfocused.

The good thing is that I got to see Pain of Salvation, which is my fucking hero. Their Road Salt One watered down stuff still has more musical integrity than Opeth, and 100x more direct and soulful. And they played The Perfect Element.

2. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Lucky bastard. I'd have loved to see that. All I got was Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition, The Leper Affinity, Locus Eater... you know, the boring stuff.

Nah, in all seriousness an all mellow Opeth show really would be great. Besides, didn't you know this was what they were going to do before you went? The Internet has been outraged for some time now. People who didn't want to see an un-metal Opeth simply decided not to go.
    In the event that you bought tickets long before it was know that they were not playing growl-songs, I can sympathize. They really should have been up front about the concept for the tour.

3. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

I saw them play the same exact set in Pittsburgh on Halloween and it was awesome. I was glad they played such a chill set. "Credence" was fucking stellar, as was "Throat of Winter"

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I didn't like them when I went to see them in 08 tbh, their live sound kind of sucked.

5. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

The show I went here in Phoenix was great. They played plenty of older stuff, it just wasn't their 'metal' songs.

6. TimmaethBoy

TimmaethBoy Boi I tell you phwut

I was very fortunate to catch them on their Watershed tour before I saw them again on their Heritage tour. It was interesting to see them play all clean songs. I'm not gonna lie, it was a bit of a drag. Even though musically they were fantastic like you said Vin, it was a bit of a bummer not to hear their some of their more aggressive songs. I don't know if they'll ever play their heavier songs anytime soon, if at all, in the future, but oh wells.. :shrug:

7. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

I would love to see a chill Opeth, because I like them for the chill, if I want heavy Ill go see Born of Osiris!!!

8. Azure

Azure SS.org Regular

I found that out of Watershed and Heritage, Opeth only produced 4 songs I enjoyed and could listen to again. The Devils Orchard, The Lotus Eater, Porcelain Heart, Folklore. That being said, I'd still want to see them live as I'm sure they were amazing.

9. Kamin

Kamin SS.org Regular

I feel pretty grateful for catching the Evolution XX show in NYC. Blackwater Park straight through plus a balanced second set. It was incredibly good. I don't mind Heritage but I don't get the butterflies that I got with other albums when I would just revel at some part of a song that seemed transcendental.

10. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

When you've been around as long as Opeth have, I don't think it's odd at all for them to play an entirely clean set, based particularly on their new album, which they're touring in support of.

For one, people who bought and liked Heritage as their first Opeth album probably want to hear those songs and songs similar to.

Further, the last 4 times I've seen them they've played Brutal sets... why does it always have to be brutal? If the next album is brutal, we'll probably get plenty of Brutal stuff!

11. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Hmm I was a bit disappointed because the quality of their "chill songs" was not up to par with their older mellow stuff IMO.

Opeth has a very strong metal root so that's what I expected. Yeah I know it's "Heritage Tour" and there's going to be more slow stuff but this is just too different from the Opeth I listened to everyday in highschool.

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

It's old school prog.

Akerfeldt is harking back to his older influences (and I suspect throwing a nod Steven Wilson's way as well)... it's not SUPPOSED to be old school Opeth.

13. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I think I am one of the small minority who adore both the older material AND the new album. Watershed didn't do much for me, but Heritage is killer.

Would love to see them live, whatever they played!

14. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

In Pittsburgh, somebody in the crowd encouraged Mikael to do some screaming and he said, "I don't want to scream - why don't you scream?", or something similar.

I thought it was a very cool, unique feeling show. They were spot on and full of feeling, and I already knew the setlist beforehand, so I wasb't upset. To me, Opeth isn't a metal band, its more of a mood and atmospheric sort of ordeal, so that show wasn't off the mark.

15. elrrek

elrrek Contributor

I bought the new Opeth album because I was reading a lot of press about it, "Heritage" sounded really good and I'm a fan of King Crimson so I expected to like it, I do. On the strngth of owning "Blackwater Park", "Damnation" and "Deliverance" I have also been to see Opeth 3 times and they were one of the most boring shows I have ever seen. I left early at two of the shows and I will never go and see them again.

On record, quality band and an enjoyable listen. Live, they do nothing for me.

16. fps

fps Kit

Opeth are changed, it's a new era for them. Mike has a plan, he can't keep smashing his throat up forever. Unfortunately this isn't exactly bold new territory these guys are heading into, it's back to the 70s in a derivative way for the most part. They were a bolder, and more progressive, band, when they fused that 70s spirit with extreme metal.

17. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

glad I saw them in 2001 and 2002.

18. fps

fps Kit

Oh my god me too! This new stuff is pleasantly dreary on record, but I didn't like GR much nor Watershed much better, it's a bit studied. Saw them 3 times in the golden years 2001-2003 supported by bands like Decapitated, awesome.

19. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

The crowd in here in Bristol was shouting "play death metal" for the whole show, which I thought was pretty idiotic considering it was obvious they weren't going to play any.

This is the fourth time I've seen Opeth and honestly each time I see them they get better. The first two times I fell asleep, but these last two times I have absolutely loved. I always preferred their more mellow/creepy songs so for me seeing their more recent set (and last year before Heritage came out) have been real treats.

When I go to see live music I expect to see a display of professional musicianship and any humour in between songs is always appreciated. I was given both in spades and I left the venue a very happy man.

Has anyone seen Ihsahn live? He's the same, an incredible display of professional musicianship live.

20. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Looking at my CD rack, and not accounting for ones sitting in my car, Opeth has put out approximately 67 "metal" albums. Not only can I live with them putting out one non-metal album, it actually enjoyable to see them try their hand at it.

It's completely fair to simply not like the new music when it comes out, but some of the things I've read sound like metal fans projecting abandonment issues.