So, is BC Rich officially dead? Apparently not. OK. Maybe? Probably Dead? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Doing repairs on BC Rich Bronze and Dean Dime models forever ruined both brands for me.

Every one brought in was a case of an obese teenager stepping on the cable and tearing the jack out. One kid even stepped on his cable so many times in a one week span that his parents (pardon the pun) grounded him from playing until he was willing to put the cable through his strap.

mnemonic, M3CHK1LLA, Avedas and 2 others like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

At this point, fuck if I know. It was a lot time ago. I want to say it was a Mockingbird STQ, but I could be way off. The neck was almost like playing a brick.

There was one BC Rich Warlock that a friend of mine had that I liked. It was older, from like the 1980s, and had a Floyd Rose. I think it was an OFR, and the guitar was made in America maybe. That was even further back. It was beat up, but it sounded good enough though it had stock pickups.

And when it comes to thin necks, I think the one that takes the cake was an old Japanese Jackson a friend of mine had. I was not surprised in the LEAST to find the tell-tale broken headstock demarcation line of glue on the back; the thing anorexic as fuck, and literally two goddamn graham crackers superglued to each other. Maybe three. Maybe. This thing was so fucking thin, it made any Ibanez in the world feel thick and chunky in comparison. Granted, it was when I was first starting to play [I had maybe played 2 years or so], but the lack of neck was almost too much, and made it hard to play in a different way.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Ebony

Ebony Signal purist

I think there is a good possibility that the company is going to linger in some shape or form (pun intended), simply because their designs are still in-demand and with their artist-legacy being what it is people are going to consider them as a serious company.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Active Member

When Bernie Rico and Bernie JR owned the company, they made some amazing quality guitars!

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anything BC Rich ive ever owned or played has been complete piss. My bands bassist has a warlock Bass and just like mine, the thing broke itself. They look like tosh in this day and age and they are built even worse.

BC Rich should have reinvented themselves. I look at the new "Solar guitars" that are more conventional metal guitar shapes and finishes and think.....that could have been a company like Bc Rich instead. But..in typical Bc Rich fashion, it wasnt them and instead they just continue to wallow in their own shit. Anyone older than 13 wouldnt buy anything from them right now surely?

6. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Am I the only guy here that would kill for a well made Ironbird?

7. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Wow .... that hate...not worst that some other brands hype that will disappear in 10 years... anyways...to each his own
    I like'em.
    At least no LP or the same strat always...
    My warlock, first guitar ever, is still at home. Easy to play and comfy, it's sad they dont try to make things good. The Logic behind their mk 1/2/3 stuff was good but failed to be found in a lot of places....

So they wont be at Namm ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

You and I at least, brother

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

HAHAHAHAHAHA

10. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

I have a 2010 warlock, and other than how unplayably thin the neck it (when compared to a buddys massive collection of ibbys, the warlock was thinner) its absolutely perfect. The warlock is actually one of my favourite shapes, along with the mock. Just after that my old vocalist bought a red bevel warlock, complete junk. Then he bought, if i remember correctly, a 90s draco and hes absolutely in love

zappatton2 and manu80 like this.
  11. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I'll be another voice in the "don't get the hate" camp.

I have two 2014/2015 timeframe Korean made (WMI, assume) BCR guitars that I absolutely love to death, a Mockingbird ST, and a Warlock Plus FR. The only issue I have is that the lower grade Floyd on the Warlock has saddles soft enough that the previous owner actually grooved the one for the G string by overtightening the locking screw. Guitar itself is solid, well made.....and the lightest electric guitar I've ever owned. Lighter than a couple acoustics I've owned, honestly.

zappatton2 likes this.
  12. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I had an original run ASM Pro with alder body and diamond inlays. It was one of the best metal guitars I've ever had. I learned to shred on it in Iraq. When I came back I had an ESP MII urban camo waiting for me with the same specs. I'm a big ESP fanboy but I will admit the ESP seriously had nothing better to offer. They played the same and sounded the same. I was seriously impressed as I only tried the ASM Pro because of the specs. I was a goth Emperor wannabe as a teen and had a few horrible BC Rich imports so I was skeptical.

zappatton2 likes this.
  13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

My drummer has this guitar.

It literally has the most fucked up bridge I have ever seen on a guitar. I would rather spend the rest of my life setting up Floyds over having to deal with that atrocity.

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I remember miid-late 00’s. I played a few BC Rich V’s - all terrible. But what got me the most was their god-awful V shapes neck. It was magically both fat as hell and have huge shoulders.

Imagine the back of a neck trying everything it can to keep your fingers from touching the fretboard.

That’s what it was like. I was like “this is a 24 Fret V, I thought it was aimed at shredders.”

A few experiences like that with a few different brands is why I eventually settled on super-strats really.

Why buy a “cool” or unique shape if it played like ass?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  15. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I wonder who's paying Kerry King to stick around? I imagine if the checks had dried up he'd have been on to another company immediately.

bostjan likes this.
  16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, I do believe that when King calls BCR to order a new guitar or whatever, they'd bend over backward to try to accommodate him, whereas with a nobody customer, they'd be less cordial.

Spaced Out Ace and electriceye like this.
  17. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Maybe with BC Rich going under we will see some hideous tribal graphic beveled puke stained waste of wood Kiesel flying Vs?

The kings of bad taste should collaborate on the ultimate musical abomination.

Dineley likes this.
  18. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I want him to go back to ESP.

Randy, Spaced Out Ace, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup. Trade in the shitty tribal for kickass crackle finishes.

20. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

As long as they can convince him that crackles are better than flames, could be pretty rad. Especially if he falls out of love with Kahlers.

Blytheryn likes this.